Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matt at Obsessed Garage buys a M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, not sure how many of you are familiar with Matt Moreman of Obsessed Garage, but he just bought a Model 3 Performance. He’s going to do a full round of mods to it, should be an interesting series.

Matt is an interesting guy. No BS, calls it as he sees it. He started making videos as a way to open up after being diagnosed with clinical OCD and has turned it into a business curating some of the best products in garage and detailing business. It’s an interesting story. He’s certainly not afraid to spend $ on modding a car, his E92 M3 build is outstanding and the Civic Si build he just did for a giveaway is just totally stupid. Good and bad.

Give it a watch.

99.735% sure it was a joke...since the buyer has OCD...and he’s a professional car detailer...

I remember the story about the person producing the video. What I find amazing is actually around the joke that @UncertainTimes is making. With the amount of complaints about teslas delivery quality of model 3s, coupled with a person with verified OCD who actually details cars for a living, its amazing he got a car that he was able to accept.

I am not watching the video (I dont do many online videos in general), so I dont know if there are any explanations around this in there. I also would imagine that any detailing / paint issues he would figure he would just fix himself since there is virtually zero chance anyones detailing would suit him, but its still amazing to me that he was able to accept a model 3 in the first place (and no I am not making a joke).

99.735% sure it was a joke...since the buyer has OCD...and he’s a professional car detailer...

He’s not a professional detailer.

I remember the story about the person producing the video. What I find amazing is actually around the joke that @UncertainTimes is making. With the amount of complaints about teslas delivery quality of model 3s, coupled with a person with verified OCD who actually details cars for a living, its amazing he got a car that he was able to accept.

I am not watching the video (I dont do many online videos in general), so I dont know if there are any explanations around this in there. I also would imagine that any detailing / paint issues he would figure he would just fix himself since there is virtually zero chance anyones detailing would suit him, but its still amazing to me that he was able to accept a model 3 in the first place (and no I am not making a joke).

OCD is not about nitpicking small items and perfectionism.

but yes, you got it right. He set his expectations for what it is....a car with a base price of $40k. And yes, any issues he finds he’s going to fix himself or have a pro fix it. Not Tesla. I did the same. I documented paint issues but declined their fix, knowing they would likely screw it up worse.

That was so incredibly boring to watch. Glad I just skimmed it.

TLDR: Guy buys Model 3.

it’s about what’s to come. This was an intro video.
Honestly I’m betting it’s his beater car. The guy has a GT3RS and spent something like another $50k to get it professionally detailed.

He’s still going to spend a buttload of money on it.

These cars (especially the post Q2/3 2018 ones) are DD econobox beaters for many of their owners. Similar story with the aging Model S/Xs from early production years.

And the world keeps turning.... for now.

Mine is 100% my daily driver, but it’s not a beater. I want it to be great too, because I spend so much time in it. I have a high performance car for the weekend, but I still love the Model 3.

This topic comes up about 45 minutes into the video, to a certain extent, and Ben brings up some great points. There are a lot of enthusiasts driving these cars.

Agreed, but the customer pool doesn't align well with those aspirations - far more non-car/non-grease-monkey types in these things. The level of ignorance, neglect and metro-beating boggles the mind.
Agree. Most people just want a “clean” car and don't want to spend more than $5 per car wash and don’t want anything more than a gas station tunnel wash. Maybe they’ll pay someone to shampoo the carpets once and awhile.

Reactions: Perscitus
Agreed, but the customer pool doesn't align well with those aspirations - far more non-car/non-grease-monkey types in these things. The level of ignorance, neglect and metro-beating boggles the mind.

I see quite a few different types of Tesla owners.

I see quite a few who like the idea from an environmental standpoint. They aren’t enthusiast drivers. The tech is good, but not important.

I see the super nerdy drivers. They are attracted primarily to the tech of the car. The fart mode is their favorite thing. They love the data.

there are people who are anti-big car company. They love the idea of the startup. To them panel gaps are a necessary evil to further Elon’s goal. Usually the Tesla is an aspirational car, and one of the first cars they care about.

There are also secret enthusiasts. They love the performance and love being stealthy about it.

Finally their are the FSD firsts. They bought a Tesla because it’s easy to drive and are hoping FSD will allow them to stop having to drive as soon as possible. They hate driving. They love the idea of autonomous driving. They love the reduced maintenance an EV brings.

I think there are each of these traits in each buyer, but some are much stronger and some are next to, if not, zero. I feel like the level of ignorance comes from those that are first time enthusiasts who are new to car performance and modding. These people are often pretty clueless but learning.

The neglected cars come from the FSD first owners. Their car is an appliance to be avoided at all costs.

It really highlights the versatility of the car. It has a huge broad appeal, which I think is why it’s dominating the EV market.

This will be a great series to skim through.

Yeah his videos are long and boring, but he’s like the Bob Ross of car videos... lol. Due to my adhd it’s great for me to have his videos playing in the background in my office while I do other work. If there’s a car wash product and garage product I want to research... I’ll just pull up his videos on it and let him obsess over it instead of me. I’ll even let him obsess over different car mods available for my cars since I have both a Model 3 and E90 M3. (And also he owns my future last ice goal car... the GT4)

He’s likely gonna put several different brands of mods on the car until his happy with one. Look at his Civic Si video... probably the most expensive Civic you can buy short of a race car.

This will be a great series to skim through.

Yeah his videos are long and boring, but he’s like the Bob Ross of car videos... lol. Due to my adhd it’s great for me to have his videos playing in the background in my office while I do other work. If there’s a car wash product and garage product I want to research... I’ll just pull up his videos on it and let him obsess over it instead of me. I’ll even let him obsess over different car mods available for my cars since I have both a Model 3 and E90 M3. (And also he owns my future last ice goal car... the GT4)

He’s likely gonna put several different brands of mods on the car until his happy with one. Look at his Civic Si video... probably the most expensive Civic you can buy short of a race car.

Haha, same. I listen to him in the background a lot, especially when washing cars. I do filter out a lot, but between his general mentality and what he’s experienced and what he’s learned from his business coach, I do get a lot of motivation to stay the course or push through my own procrastination.

I think the total spend on the Civic is up to like $135k with all the wheels last I checked. Insane. Wonder if he’ll make it back on the giveaway.