Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte Black Cybertruck Speculation: Advanced Coating or Wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sparcs

Nov 8, 2018
USA
I can see three options: Wrap, advanced coating, or canceling matte black and have you wrap yourself

1) Would Tesla consider making an advanced polymer wrap for the cybertruck that can be made and applied at low cost? or contract some supplier of wraps like 3M? Or contract some third party installer after delivery?

Instead of trying to make multiple color variants and dealing with coatings and finish. A wrap would be relatively low cost and easy to repair from a Tesla standpoint for those people who want it.

2) Is there some low cost easy to apply and durable coating they can apply to the stainless steel to give that matte black look during manufacturing?

3) Third alternative is Tesla reconsidering and not going forward with a matte black version and just telling you to get a wrap yourself.

Last edited:
How is a wrap "low cost". And if you want it in a different color, why not just get it wrapped yourself?

The discussion from installers is that the flat surfaces make a wrap installation super easy on the truck. You might be able to do it yourself.

whats the alternative? what's the advanced coating you have to develop for the stainless steel to make it matte black?

or does Tesla just say they're not going to do a black one and just go wrap yourself? Elon said yes to black cybertruck, but i guess he could change his mind.

Maybe Tesla could get some volume discount on a matte black wrap from a third party and help facilitate customers getting it done? Essentially fostering a robust aftermarket for the cybertruck.

Last edited:
SS can be anodized to a variety of colors, black included.

However, it requires a protective coating of some sort as the anodization is not as strong/permanent as say aluminum or titanium and defeats the purpose of wanting to make it cheap and easy to manufacture in the first place.

But why matte black when we can get even fancier colors? :D Put that SS skeleton into a commercial grade oven with high enough temperature, you get that totally rad gradient blue/purple coloring in a dark shade.... :D

• Funny
Reactions: bredi
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/home-a...es/pcmcat748301677354.c?id=pcmcat748301677354

kitchenaid-stainless-fridge.jpg

Reactions: Nocturnal
The problem with any finish other than raw stainless is that scratches will show same as a painted truck. With the stainless, if you even see the scratches, you can probably touch it up yourself with some sandpaper and a scotchbrite pad. Adding the finish kind of undoes a lot of the attraction of the super-durable stainless surface.

Reactions: mspohr
I can see three options: Wrap, advanced coating, or canceling matte black and have you wrap yourself

1) Would Tesla consider making

Here's the market; EVERYone and their brother with an EV needs to get it to market, ASAP. They're not rocket science anymore with beta testers, they are a success.

How long extra do you want to wait? I don't want/need a $5000 wrap. I want mud and sand and dirt on mine.

Reactions: mspohr
I thought the tweet was that the Tesla matt black option was a wrap anyway?
If you live in a hot or cold climate I'd expect a range decrease with black because of the extra A/C use, especially in comparison to SS.
Elon's tweet was vague. He basically replied "yes" to people asking whether there would be a matte black option. No real detail.

As more people get used to the looks, people will probably care less about the matte black anyways. I'm kind of at that point myself. Especially if the alternative is to substantially increase Tesla's manufacturing cost by adding more complexity.

I do think it would be smart if Tesla cut some deal with a wrap manufacturer or installers. Tesla certified wrap installers where people can get discounts. The Tesla truck is all flat surfaces so maybe they can facilitate some sort of deal. I would probably considering doing it myself too.

Reactions: Electruck
Elon's tweet was vague. He basically replied "yes" to people asking whether there would be a matte black option. No real detail.

As more people get used to the looks, people will probably care less about the matte black anyways. I'm kind of at that point myself. Especially if the alternative is to substantially increase Tesla's manufacturing cost by adding more complexity.

I do think it would be smart if Tesla cut some deal with a wrap manufacturer or installers. Tesla certified wrap installers where people can get discounts. The Tesla truck is all flat surfaces so maybe they can facilitate some sort of deal. I would probably considering doing it myself too.
If it's a wrap, probably best to have third party do it. They could offer lots of creative options. Of course, a wrap would be less durable than stainless steel but some people would still like to have it.
The only factory option for black would have to be some coating that would survive laser cutting, creasing and bending and welding... Not likely.

Here's the market; EVERYone and their brother with an EV needs to get it to market, ASAP. They're not rocket science anymore with beta testers, they are a success.

How long extra do you want to wait? I don't want/need a $5000 wrap. I want mud and sand and dirt on mine.
A 5k wrap on a stainless car would be such a waste of money. At least with a traditional car you are protecting the paint.

I would love a black matte stainless option though, assuming it's not just a superficial coating.

Reactions: azjohn