Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte black, debadged, and chrome delete...with wheels.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks great - my MXP100D arrives in a few weeks (hopefully) and I plan on doing something similar.

Can you tell me what you used? Suntek Ultra or Xpel Ultimate? Something else?

Did you go glossy on the De-chrome or satin?

I appreciate the info.

I was doing a video for some drone lighting, and I used my vehicle. I've got one for the front...but that'll take a while to process because of all the composites.
23828932_10155146471816365_1209753671_o.jpg

Reactions: Yvan@OptiCoat
One styling suggestion left, apply a light headlight tint to tone down the headlights just a hair. A company called LAMINEX makes the material. Xpel makes the same headlight covers, but it is too dark. Gunsmoke is the color. They make one lighter than that.

Technically illegal, but hey, so is the window tint on the two front roll ups.

Great job, coolest looking X to date. Rims are spectacular.

images

One styling suggestion left, apply a light headlight tint to tone down the headlights just a hair. A company called LAMINEX makes the material. Xpel makes the same headlight covers, but it is too dark. Gunsmoke is the color. They make one lighter than that.

images
Do they dim the actual headlights? I.E. reduce effective range/brightness?

Excellent question. For experimental purposes, I put them on me wifes Sienna van and she did notice the difference at night..(See photo below: Driver side has the LAMINEX on it. See how shiney the passenger headamp is..yuk. I took off the passenger side because it was the next shade darker than than the other film.) So, yes it reduces brightness

My solution to compensate for the dimming was to put a brighter, more intense bulb in the lens. I havent followed up with that project so I cant tell you what you might have to do if it dims the headlight to the point where you dont feel safe. Jury is still out. it is possible to do that though. It might come down to fashion vs function. The covers cost $180 installed.

I would tend to think the lights in the Tesla are much more intense than in a Sienna van, but maybe not. We live in the city so its not a problem at night. Anyways, the improved look might be worth the risk. Every time we work on those Tesla X I think about how cool they look except for those chromy lights. I would say go for it. Although as the car stands it looks pretty awesome.

IMG_1590[1].JPG

We just wrapped a model x in the XPEL paint protection film. Maybe I can get him to try it and Ill send you the photos.

Excellent question. For experimental purposes, I put them on me wifes Sienna van and she did notice the difference at night..(See photo below: Driver side has the LAMINEX on it. See how shiney the passenger headamp is..yuk. I took off the passenger side because it was the next shade darker than than the other film.) So, yes it reduces brightness

My solution to compensate for the dimming was to put a brighter, more intense bulb in the lens. I havent followed up with that project so I cant tell you what you might have to do if it dims the headlight to the point where you dont feel safe. Jury is still out. it is possible to do that though. It might come down to fashion vs function. The covers cost $180 installed.

I would tend to think the lights in the Tesla are much more intense than in a Sienna van, but maybe not. We live in the city so its not a problem at night. Anyways, the improved look might be worth the risk. Every time we work on those Tesla X I think about how cool they look except for those chromy lights. I would say go for it. Although as the car stands it looks pretty awesome.

View attachment 266455

We just wrapped a model x in the XPEL paint protection film. Maybe I can get him to try it and Ill send you the photos.

I'd be interested in seeing the results on an X.

Thanks

images
Thanks! I was thinking about tinting the lights with one of those but I didn't need to be bringing more attention to my car. I drive by a CHP location on my commute and already get the stares because I don't have a front plate. ;)

View attachment 266455

That does make me a little hesitant. For some reason, I feel that our Model S has brighter headlights than the X already. I'd hate to take away precious lumens.

Thats right-'the Fuzz. I see you didnt tint the front roll ups which means to me that you are a law abiding citizen, or your night time visibility is bad. We are back to form over function. Although, without that front license plate, you are still breaking the law. You may want to find out the remedy if you get pulled over.

Does Tesla have a kit for that. I see so many nice bumpers with the plate frame installed with with two big screws. I see it because I'm taking off the plates to install the paint protection film.

The Corvette guys have the same problem, and there is a very nice bracket they attach and is well hidden in case they get pulled over. You may want to keep the plate in the trunk in case. Put some double backing tape on it and leave the release liner on so if you ever need to attach it, its simple fix. The police may be satisfied.

The reason I bring this up is that those are fix-it tickets-window tint, license plate, headlight covers. In some areas, they give you a ticket to get it fixes in 90 days and have a cop sign it off. There is no violation feel, just the hassle. So, the risk and expense of getting caught, may be worth the enhanced look benefits. Just some 'food for thought'.