Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte carbon fiber dash/door trim replacement comparisons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting! It’s a HANSSHOW Chinese carbon fiber dash and door trim replacement. Like-for-like with the RPM/Fusion products, the HANSSHOW comes to $746USD shipped. It’s made in and delivered from China. Import duty is negligible. That’s $380-ish cheaper than the Fusion.

I am fortunate enough that I can spend money to buy the more expensive made-in-America goods instead of cheaper Chinese imports, but I can see why the HANSSHOW would be appealing to people for sure!

Reactions: Motron3030
Interesting! It’s a HANSSHOW Chinese carbon fiber dash and door trim replacement. Like-for-like with the RPM/Fusion products, the HANSSHOW comes to $746USD shipped. It’s made in and delivered from China. Import duty is negligible. That’s $380-ish cheaper than the Fusion.

I am fortunate enough that I can spend money to buy the more expensive made-in-America goods instead of cheaper Chinese imports, but I can see why the HANSSHOW would be appealing to people for sure!
I agree, buy American when I can but it’s a moot point, wifey saw the revised Y interior and said she likes the WOOD. So she just saved me some serious $$$$$$. She does want me to continue the wood on the console though.

Happy Wife, Happy Life. Plus I’m starting to warm to the wood.

Reactions: __xyzzy__
Fair enough. I don't yet know if it's worth it for me - I don't have the dash in hand and fitted to a car. If it's not worth it then I can return it to Fusion and get on with my life. It costs me nothing but time to try.

This is where I think we fundamentally disagree on a subjective topic. I think they look cheap and plastic-y. You don't. That's cool.

I firmly believe the increased ambience is worth it. To me the hydros appear flat, two dimensional, unmoving and dull. In contrast, I like to work with wood and I love the 3D chatoyancy effect in nicely finished wood grain; I'm looking for that same depth, lustre and shifting light in nicely finished CF. I'm fortunate enough that cost isn't a factor and I can focus on the end product.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a splitter/lip. 99% of the time that's for other people to look at and I don't care. The CF dash is for me to look at and I do care!

The Fusion dash is handmade in the USA by Alex and his business partners. There is no replacement and I'd much rather spend my money on an American small business than anything else
No doubt, I'm actually surprised Tesla hasn't offered a Carbon Fiber Trim option yet. I've never met anyone who likes the "wood" dash.

Personally I went with the White Trim and Seats on my MYP, I have a Black on Black MYP coming in sometime this Month, and was planning to do Katzkin Peanut butter interior, so I'll be looking into an Alcantara Dash replacement, and I do agree the flush fitment is worth a premium.

With that said, I understand you're set on going through Fusion Motorsports, but I find it hard to believe they are not just reselling something manufactured in China, as I'm in E-commerce, I don't know any successful volume E-Com stores like Fusion who aren't at least supplementing stock via Chinese Manufactured goods.

For anyone else interested in Carbon Fiber Dash kits like this, I found these when searching for an All-in-one dashboard replacements which were at a better price point.

CF

Alcantara

Reactions: jesse_le
With that said, I understand you're set on going through Fusion Motorsports, but I find it hard to believe they are not just reselling something manufactured in China, as I'm in E-commerce, I don't know any successful volume E-Com stores like Fusion who aren't at least supplementing stock via Chinese Manufactured goods.

You raised a very interesting point, so I reached out to Fusion and asked this question:

An interesting point was brought up about American vs Chinese manufacturing, sourcing, final assembly, etc. ... Your website makes it sound like you’re an all-American shop, but doesn’t actually explicitly state that’s the case. Can you clarify what, if any, materials/labor of your matte dash is performed, sourced, made, or assembled in China?

This is the response I got:

That is an interesting point indeed!

The way we manufacture our products is by directly sourcing OEM products such as the dashboard/door-trim from Tesla. We are an approved buyer through their electronic parts catalog, and order these directly through them. Once received, we begin our process for assembling the dashboard/door-trim with our carbon fiber preparation. Not everyone is qualified to be an authorized seller for Tesla products, as there is an extensive application that verifies your companies authenticity, experience, etc. Even then, it is required that the company explicitly explains their intent once they receive these items.

Our company is unique in that all of our products are sourced directly from Tesla and built here in our warehouse. We do not engage in sourcing from overseas.

In my opinion, directly sourcing from overseas is not worth the time or money. If anyone really has the desire to do so, they can go on AliExpress and purchase these directly. Then, when you take into account shipping, custom duties, delays, etc., there is no practical benefit.

We started our business in June of 2021. If you take a look at listings on AliExpress/third party websites, you will notice that all these listings were posted quite recently from April-August 2022. Competition is inevitable, but we were the original producers of the real carbon fiber dashboard/door-trim replacement. Our hands are tied with the rise of counterfeit listings from Chinese vendors but our mission is to continue establishing new and exciting Tesla accessories. Overtime, it is almost guaranteed that other vendors will try to impersonate our products. As the item is a customization of Tesla's OEM part, rather than a completely new item, there is no legal protection for us against these sellers.

Personally speaking, I have over 4 years of experience in manufacturing real carbon fiber before we started our company. As someone who also enjoys the automotive industry, I decided to pursue combining the two factors.

I hope that answers the question! Let me know if any other points come up. I will be more than glad to address them.

"We do not engage in sourcing from overseas."

So, not just made in USA, but made in USA from genuine Tesla parts with handmade real carbon fiber trim. That's pretty cool.

You raised a very interesting point, so I reached out to Fusion and asked this question:

So, not just made in USA, but made in USA from genuine Tesla parts with handmade real carbon fiber trim. That's pretty cool.
Did you really think they would say, oh yeah, we re-sell Chinese made stuff as our own?
Since you have such quick responses and are so high on this company, you’re starting to sound a little fake. Like a bad Amazon review.

Reactions: TeamBlue
Did you really think they would say, oh yeah, we re-sell Chinese made stuff as our own?

I have faith in humanity most of the time, so yes. Yes I did. And the response I received didn’t come across as sketchy or avoidant. It was detailed and categorical. So either Alex is a pathological and convincing liar or he’s on the level. Based on everything I’ve seen so far, I choose to believe the latter.

Since you have such quick responses and are so high on this company, you’re starting to sound a little fake. Like a bad Amazon review.

Understandable. I do have an excited hard-on for this dash. But I also have a hard-on for the Tsportline TSV wheels that are due to arrive today. And I have a hard-on for the CrossClimate 2 tires that are waiting for me at Discount Tire. And for the TapTes mats that are in en route to me. And the (probably Chinese made) Spigen matte screen protector coming from Amazon.

And I especially have a hard-on for the blue MYP that’s allegedly being delivered to me in September!

No, I’m not fake. I’m genuine. This isn’t a bad Amazon review, it’s just my excited ramblings about all the stuff I’m doing to my new car. In fact, later today you’ll see me start a new thread about my new wheels and tires. I bet you’re excited already. I know I am.

If true, that's awesome.

With everything said here, I think you'll enjoy the new Dash, personally this thread made me think a bit more about my next MYPs interior and that's exactly what a Forum is for (To spark the minds of those interested in a specific topic, in our Case Tesla's)

These Product comparisons are important and actually lacking in TMC, so hopefully this sparks a few more discussions over Tesla Mods, be it Chinese origin or American.

After engaging in this Thread, I went to Alibaba and discussed sourcing Alcantara Caps for the Y's Headliner, so maybe that's something we'll be discussing at some point when the Manufacturer has a prototype available to show. I know Unplugged and Tsportline offer this, but again, $3k+ for their Headliner offerings just didn't make sense to me.

If I was planning to hold onto my Tesla's for 6+ years, I'd really open up my budget on high end Mods, but past experience with splurging on Martian Wheels on my M3P and the wheels actually reducing ride quality, and Misc Mods reducing my Vehicles trade in Value has soured me a bit on Mods as a whole, since I only drive a Vehicle for 1-2 years before selling or trading in.

I used to sale private party, but after my recent experience trying to move the M3P on the open market, I just decided Trade in was less of a Headache, but I'll give the open market one more try in a couple years since my Next MYP will be modded thoroughly 😅

Last edited:
If true, that's awesome.

With everything said here, I think you'll enjoy the new Dash, personally this thread made me think a bit more about my next MYPs interior and that's exactly what a Forum is for (To spark the minds of those interested in a specific topic, in our Case Tesla's)

These Product comparisons are important and actually lacking in TMC, so hopefully this sparks a few more discussions over Tesla Mods, be it Chinese origin or American.

After engaging in this Thread, I went to Alibaba and discussed sourcing Alcantara Caps for the Y's Headliner, so maybe that's something we'll be discussing at some point when the Manufacturer has a prototype available to show. I know Unplugged and Tsportline offer this, but again, $3k+ for their Headliner offerings just didn't make sense to me.

If I was planning to hold onto my Tesla's for 6+ years, I'd really open up my budget on high end Mods, but past experience with splurging on Martian Wheels on my M3P and the wheels actually reducing ride quality, and Misc Mods reducing my Vehicles trade in Value has soured me a bit on Mods as a whole, since I only drive a Vehicle for 1-2 years before selling or trading in.

I used to sale private party, but after my recent experience trying to move the M3P on the open market, I just decided Trade in was less of a Headache, but I'll give the open market one more try in a couple years since my Next MYP will be modded thoroughly 😅

Interesting about the wheels making the ride worse. Did you go up in size to thinner rubber? I'm going the opposite route: removing the MYP's 21" Uberturbines and installing 19" TSVs with 255/45/19 Michelin CrossClimate2. I opted for the M3 version of the wheel instead of the MYP version of the wheel because it's 8.5" wide instead of 9" (so I get more sidewall to prevent curb rash) and has a lower offset, which will push the wheels just a little wider in the arches. I'm hoping the ride improves as a result!

Last edited:
The Fusion dash & door trims arrived on Tuesday.

Packing
The box arrived well packed and has a custom foam insert to hold the 3 trim pieces:

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

Each piece is covered in a cloth bag for protection and the dash piece is further wrapped in blue plastic. There's some case candy, too: a decal, a letter of "thanks for buying", a business card, a return shipping label (to return the original wood-trim dash for a rebate), and a brown envelope containing 3 tools. I'm happy with the packaging - it's secure without being over-the-top.

Tools
The tools are quite disappointing. They came in a pair of plastic bags self-sealed with adhesive. The adhesive stuck to the handle of the padded screwdriver and left a horrible sticky mess, which transferred to my fingers and I'd likely end up getting sticky crap all on trim pieces during installation if I used them as-is. I tried cleaning it off with soap and water, then isopropyl alcohol, and then Goo Gone. Nothing worked - the sticky adhesive stayed stubbornly stuck to the screwdriver. After my cleaning failures I just wrapped the screwdriver in gaffer tape to cover up the mess.

The squeegees came with a small amount of oily residue on them. A quick wipe with isopropyl fixed that issue. I wish this had been taken care of by the Fusion guys prior to shipping.

The Trim
The trim looks incredible. It has a gorgeous matte clear coat finish with flawless carbon fiber installation. The finish is nice and smooth, is in no way shiny or glossy, and just looks... expensive! Which I guess it is.

This potato-quality phone photo does not remotely do it justice:

IMG_0046.JPG

To get a better idea of the 3D depth and movement that changes with viewing angle, check out this GIF: Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY I'm going to take some proper photos with my DSLR once it's installed in the car. Capturing the beauty of the trim really does require movement of viewing angle, so I'll do some short videos, too.

Crap quality pictures aside, the trim is it's exactly what I was looking for and I'm delighted I bought it. It's going to look incredible in my MYP. Very, very happy.

I'll follow up with better photos/video soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Silence88
The Fusion dash & door trims arrived on Tuesday.

Packing
The box arrived well packed and has a custom foam insert to hold the 3 trim pieces:

View attachment 842187

View attachment 842254

View attachment 842255

Each piece is covered in a cloth bag for protection and the dash piece is further wrapped in blue plastic. There's some case candy, too: a decal, a letter of "thanks for buying", a business card, a return shipping label (to return the original wood-trim dash for a rebate), and a brown envelope containing 3 tools. I'm happy with the packaging - it's secure without being over-the-top.

Tools
The tools are quite disappointing. They came in a pair of plastic bags self-sealed with adhesive. The adhesive stuck to the handle of the padded screwdriver and left a horrible sticky mess, which transferred to my fingers and I'd likely end up getting sticky crap all on trim pieces during installation if I used them as-is. I tried cleaning it off with soap and water, then isopropyl alcohol, and then Goo Gone. Nothing worked - the sticky adhesive stayed stubbornly stuck to the screwdriver. After my cleaning failures I just wrapped the screwdriver in gaffer tape to cover up the mess.

The squeegees came with a small amount of oily residue on them. A quick wipe with isopropyl fixed that issue. I wish this had been taken care of by the Fusion guys prior to shipping.

The Trim
The trim looks incredible. It has a gorgeous matte clear coat finish with flawless carbon fiber installation. The finish is nice and smooth, is in no way shiny or glossy, and just looks... expensive! Which I guess it is.

This potato-quality phone photo does not remotely do it justice:

View attachment 842188

To get a better idea of the 3D depth and movement that changes with viewing angle, check out this GIF: Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY I'm going to take some proper photos with my DSLR once it's installed in the car. Capturing the beauty of the trim really does require movement of viewing angle, so I'll do some short videos, too.

Crap quality pictures aside, the trim is it's exactly what I was looking for and I'm delighted I bought it. It's going to look incredible in my MYP. Very, very happy.

I'll follow up with better photos/video soon.
That looks identical to my purchase, which came from china. The real give away that all mfg. miss in china is the lower silver trim on the dash. the real OEM design is a matte silver finish. All Chinese models have a gloss silver trim. I know because I currently have 4 dash panels from various companies and they all come in that box with padding.

Reactions: MileUnderDude
That looks identical to my purchase, which came from china. The real give away that all mfg. miss in china is the lower silver trim on the dash. the real OEM design is a matte silver finish. All Chinese models have a gloss silver trim. I know because I currently have 4 dash panels from various companies and they all come in that box with padding.
Can you post a couple of photos for comparison?

Well - I have the Hansshow 3D dry carbon fiber dash replacement, which came in very similar box and enclosures for door trims (which Y do not have) as well. And I do not see any difference in the silver trim - both got them look same to me.

Basically - Hansshow's panel is probably a OEM Tesla panel as well, maybe a different supplier (I actually found it to be even better quality than what came from factory!)

tempImageKLsAjn.jpg

Reactions: dagug and Silence88
Well - I have the Hansshow 3D dry carbon fiber dash replacement, which came in very similar box and enclosures for door trims (which Y do not have) as well. And I do not see any difference in the silver trim - both got them look same to me.

Basically - Hansshow's panel is probably a OEM Tesla panel as well, maybe a different supplier (I actually found it to be even better quality than what came from factory!)

View attachment 842722
The quality on your 3D carbon is much better than what I've seen. Most of not all has a rounded corner with a very small lift 1-2mm. Yours don't seem to have that issue.

Reactions: Silence88
If you genuinely don't care about - or can't tell the difference between - this hydro CF:

View attachment 840961

and this real CF:

View attachment 840964

then you can safely ignore the rest of this thread :)

For those of us who can tell the difference and for whom it is of importance, let the discussion continue!
I can tell immediately it looks like crap. Abs cf looks nothing like real carbon fiber. You would have to be blind or have awful eyesight not to tell the difference. I don’t understand how any spends the money on a Tesla than ruins it with fake carbon fiber. Reminds me of rappers ice out nice watches in diamonds and completely ruining the value. It’s tacky and looks cheap af. Hydro dip looks much better but carbon fiber overlays is the only way to go. You can do any color an assortment of different styles. It’s definitely not as cheap but also adds a lot of value to most people when they see it in person cause it looks amazing and it’s rare to find. We can do regular 2x2, Kevlar, honeycomb, forged, reflex, etc in any color and based on the style of weave no color looks the same. By far the easiest way to make your interior standout and look like it’s been customized by companies like mansory
EC4B1AFC-5FE6-4236-82E4-A6351363DBBF.jpeg
9CCD5151-BECA-4696-B8B6-8BB16DFF5998.jpeg
2F5170A2-6210-4514-BE58-2C0680B20F6B.jpeg
F1C0F8D8-ECC6-40DB-9976-7315BFA4EB22.jpeg
18DDCCAA-6F6F-49DB-A64D-E9A954F9EF5D.jpeg
9A245329-DAFD-4397-BAC5-CDE6C1DF65F4.jpeg
FED4B0D0-E98C-482B-8338-E8CC8DF65963.jpeg

9E65A73C-3CF5-408C-BD82-3CEFDDB18468.jpeg

49699EEE-C365-4875-8675-3B51DBE7B6D8.jpeg

Attachments

• 39DF5B34-B7D4-4B24-9060-4B8F0EC8E516.jpeg
    39DF5B34-B7D4-4B24-9060-4B8F0EC8E516.jpeg