Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Matte Madness: Teslas Transformed with Matte PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Our latest Tesla photo roundup features a variety of models and colors, all showing off a fresh installation of cool matte PPF. Black finishes are the most popular choice for a matte transformation, but we worked with Exotic Vehicle Wraps in Sterling, Virginia to bring you a wide range of SunTek PPF Ultra Matte looks. 

TS2nQfgRpb2FrJSxLwp6Vc3avDjiKEEHRhzEZ0LiT6nJdlbK8ot2x4ZUQU_5oQNBQCdmaKhLXRW183G6yDl-UdeBYw69ql12fR7NzW5ir-4Ut1EfGMBd45GG_aF24kJKlxsuLRzQSV9wGKwrtA
This Model 3 in Midnight Silver Metallic has both wheels and paint in a flat finish. SunTek PPF Ultra Matte gives the dark silver shade a rich sheen that reflects light without gloss. 

gh_KXEQPROcNKNRvm2-SILlwmrLZSpCT_UPtH0653OilLTPW-CLL3N1xK9tZo3he_hgtQhqTxhUMdI8obvk40NNC_0649okyLGVGS4fS-C7Lb2an1BeieMGPmN2yJg6ie6N_mvygYwN3Mq--IQ
Here’s a closeup of the same Model 3 from above. This shot was taken during installation. If you were wondering whether matte PPF still beads water, this is your definitive answer.

XVnmNGA-8NU_FYJvrB8XMkyuN7eS8-SddcyvKjTzOa9Q2n1rid2pWjfNyIAGh2VbHZIJyDUDRHrpvxW-3eCOBwK-GreSZBukijZw2ZwZfpxB9IrXkfK8gggmODJxQ0k17wH4ijsoS1-EQs3ptA
A rare and stunning combo of Tesla’s Deep Blue Metallic finish, fully wrapped in SunTek PPF Ultra Matte. This Performance Model 3 will definitely not blend into traffic.

J8KpB9dS7fxza6rhCVCFo5N-n3nhAFzSN3t2SjQe4ko1XYgLagQJbqb6lPvtFcvMRnEToEZ8Fy5aSU-QKwGkM7bEFkjd8LmLXgfR8cCZLK8npiMhymvIqeadSrqPx71SHSuLczJkIrQ0gSBLgA
This Model X is ready for the open road, with freshly installed SunTek PPF for protection and a matte ebony finish, plus a red Tesla badge and brake calipers for contrast. 

fdRaCcwC0ExdePGBQ60e1mkdN_9b8BnYHuWsw16KwigkTmTweQRpsDDrUq7V9g00fqPGrNNnKhNgvSrduMSGIseBDysLmP5OnhBz4YPeB3ofjHtgnthgGKbNwzxegTll-Id8cX1uSM21fTowjg
Nothing says “custom” like a Tesla with a matte finish. On this Pearl White Multi-Coat X Model, SunTek PPF Ultra Matte adds low-key sophistication, plus enhanced protection from stains.

QZ_2zZCMsGrRgWL5FROSk6zsRVrxJMRGSflvM-8h6MqX9QW7vgh9VfxHln8V9TrQqQ92N2UNoDmVNE46DKtZ1BtQnerK9r9-4ugkewf8ErTKkCwAbSOnAPpX2BZK6zonNYIRKf87VodnCIN5xw
We zoomed in to give you a closer view of the Pearl White X Model, since satin finish over white can be attention-getting in person but challenging to capture with a camera.

itqmL3dvdnnCweXaFpTaKG3jEF7GJGhwkj1Pm4261wuOLSV491RswyZU-pp1zPxgsAbBBtBBIUTA_n8Q3RXZy0ALiNM027EafvIyXTMzLKD98dnBCaV_tC410tOPWOfCdWbcTieqFmBGYQO0qQ
Last, but not the least: this Model 3 demonstrates exactly why flat black is such a head-turner. It perfectly balances sophisticated style and tough attitude.

If you’re inspired to go matte with your Tesla, put aside reservations about maintenance. Matte PPF is easier to keep up than matte factory finishes. SunTek PPF Ultra Matte has the same top coat as SunTek PPF Ultra, with a different surface texture: matte sheen instead of glossy shine. Aside from this, the products are identical with added protection against impact damage, resistance to corrosives, the ability to heal scratches, and a slippery feel when you wash. 

For matte maintenance we recommend waxes and cleaning products formulated specifically for matte, satin or flat finishes. SunTek PPF Ultra Matte and typical waxes are not compatible, because these products change surface texture and will create shine over time.

Ready to transform your Tesla? Find a SunTek Dealer

Check out SunTek on Facebook and Instagram

All images courtesy of: Exotic Vehicle Wraps in Sterling, Virginia

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, not a fan of matte finish. To me it’s a fad, a gimmick. Granted, it does help conceal the unfortunate fact that vinyl is never quite as smooth as paint. But most people don’t notice that anyhow.

You know what I like? I like the classic, glossy and metal-flake look. I like to see that shine and luster when it gets out in the sun. And color… Not just shades of gray. Give me an orange car. Give me an electric blue. Give me a vivid green, even. Or red of course, but at least red is something you can still get from the factory.

Personally, not a fan of matte finish. To me it’s a fad, a gimmick. Granted, it does help conceal the unfortunate fact that vinyl is never quite as smooth as paint. But most people don’t notice that anyhow.

You know what I like? I like the classic, glossy and metal-flake look. I like to see that shine and luster when it gets out in the sun. And color… Not just shades of gray. Give me an orange car. Give me an electric blue. Give me a vivid green, even. Or red of course, but at least red is something you can still get from the factory.

I couldn't disagree more. The matte "fad" or "gimmick" has been around a long time now and, like any opinion, it's highly subjective. There's really no sense debating over it because what you like I may not like but I'm not going to go into every thread of something you like just to chime in about how I dislike it.

For me, if I could afford it, every Model S I've owned would have received a stealth PPF wrap from head to tippy toe. Maybe not my MC Red P85D but every other color I've owned looks better (again, in my opinion) w/o the glossy finish. We just picked up a Titanium Metallic 90D refresh and I fully plan to tint the windows (already done) chrome delete it (happening next week), slap some black wheels on it (in the not-too-distant future) and then stealth wrap it. That last one may be a while because they're not cheap and I've got other concerns currently involving finances that I'm focusing my efforts on. That car will look 100% different and 100% amazing (equal parts, lulz) in my opinion.

You don't have to like it and I'm fine with that. We all have our own tastes and cars are one of the best ways we have to express them and I think it's cool that everyone chooses to express their tastes in their car. Even if I personally don't approve of their tastes I can appreciate the effort and attention to detail that went into the art that made it what it is.

I have the matte Suntek film on my blue Tesla. It helps hide some dirt and debris and gives it a very cool unique look. The metal-flakes? They pop through too. So cool. Paint alone or vinyl can't do that. If you don't have a metalic red Tesla, you can't go to a shop and say "hey wrap my car to look the same as that cool matte red Tesla." They can't. How else can you emulate a matte finish with nice flakes popping through in the sun? Are you going to dust your vinyl film with sparkly dust? How is that going to hold up over time?

This is not vinyl. Vinyl is like 1 or 2mm, whereas PPF is like 8-10mm thick or somewhere on that order. I don't know about vinyl not being smooth, but PPF is definitely smooth...

No one knew when I had the clear film. Now I stand out and get tons of positive comments about my cool "paint job." I don't regret it at all. My next car will likely be matte Suntek too. But I need something crazy awesome for my cybertruck... Suntek and EVW, please come through...

Last edited:
Vinyl is like 1 or 2mm, whereas PPF is like 8-10mm thick or somewhere on that order. I don't know about vinyl not being smooth, but PPF is definitely smooth...

Mil thickness compared to mm (millimeter) and inches

Anyhow, I take your point that it is possible to do some cool things with PPF. I saw some video of putting STEK DYNOprism film on a black car, which produced blue-and-purple color shift. I’m not usually a fan of color shift either, but it was the best-looking example that I’ve seen. Got to admit, I was tempted to go that way.

As to vinyl not being super smooth, you can usually see this (with glossy vinyl) if you look closely at the reflected highlights. As I said before, it’s not something most people will casually notice.

Mil thickness compared to mm (millimeter) and inches

Anyhow, I take your point that it is possible to do some cool things with PPF. I saw some video of putting STEK DYNOprism film on a black car, which produced blue-and-purple color shift. I’m not usually a fan of color shift either, but it was the best-looking example that I’ve seen. Got to admit, I was tempted to go that way.

As to vinyl not being super smooth, you can usually see this (with glossy vinyl) if you look closely at the reflected highlights. As I said before, it’s not something most people will casually notice.

Oh shoot I didn’t realize the mil and mm difference. Thanks for sharing. Yeah I’m probably crazy off.

Gotcha, I can see what you mean on the smooth finish. You have an eye for details, which is awesome.

I like the color shifts as well. IMO anything that makes your car unique at the supercharger is a plus. :) unless maybe if you’ve been in an accident and it looks like you did a hit and run. I may or may not be writing down your license plate number. :p

I actually just got mine wrapped in xpel stealth wrap and got it back today! I live in southern Cali and I wanted paint protection, and I wanted a different look for my Tesla because there are so many on the streets and freeways these days and they all look the same! I couldn’t be happier with the xpel stealth wrap! Also it’s stronger than a vinyl wrap and protects your paint better, and last a LOT longer than a vinyl wrap.

Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
I have the matte Suntek film on my blue Tesla. It helps hide some dirt and debris and gives it a very cool unique look. The metal-flakes? They pop through too. So cool. Paint alone or vinyl can't do that. If you don't have a metalic red Tesla, you can't go to a shop and say "hey wrap my car to look the same as that cool matte red Tesla." They can't. How else can you emulate a matte finish with nice flakes popping through in the sun? Are you going to dust your vinyl film with sparkly dust? How is that going to hold up over time?

This is not vinyl. Vinyl is like 1 or 2mm, whereas PPF is like 8-10mm thick or somewhere on that order. I don't know about vinyl not being smooth, but PPF is definitely smooth...

No one knew when I had the clear film. Now I stand out and get tons of positive comments about my cool "paint job." I don't regret it at all. My next car will likely be matte Suntek too. But I need something crazy awesome for my cybertruck... Suntek and EVW, please come through...
Hi, it's great to hear that you are so happy with our Matte PPF. You should share some photos of your Tesla.

I actually just got mine wrapped in xpel stealth wrap and got it back today! I live in southern Cali and I wanted paint protection, and I wanted a different look for my Tesla because there are so many on the streets and freeways these days and they all look the same! I couldn’t be happier with the xpel stealth wrap! Also it’s stronger than a vinyl wrap and protects your paint better, and last a LOT longer than a vinyl wrap.

Hi. I'm in San Diego and just bought a black Model X and I'm looking to do the XPEL Stealth wrap. Do you mind telling me where you got yours done and how much did it cost? Thanks.