Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte or Gloss Black Wheels

Matte or Gloss black wheels for while Model X?

• Matte Black

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gloss Black

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I was hoping to get the community's input here on 20" Matte Black vs Gloss Black wheels from tsportline for a while Model X. Are their pros and cons of each or is it all just personal preference? I've looked at their pictures on their site which are helpful, but I feel like you really need to see them in person to decide.

Thank you for any input!

Hello,

I was hoping to get the community's input here on 20" Matte Black vs Gloss Black wheels from tsportline for a while Model X. Are their pros and cons of each or is it all just personal preference? I've looked at their pictures on their site which are helpful, but I feel like you really need to see them in person to decide.

Thank you for any input!
I personally just satin plastidipped the stock rims. I like that look a bit better.

I'd go with matte, but it really is up to you. Both look good.

Hello,

Thank you for any input!

I had my stock wheels powder coated black semi gloss in Addison, IL for $300. They do matte black and high gloss as well. I think it also depends on the color of your vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_6770.jpeg
    IMG_6770.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 6,811
Damn! That looks nice! I think I am going to find a place in DFW area who can replicate that work on my car. Also this doesn't seem too expensive either, so might as well get it done and peel it off when I return the car at the end of lease.
Let me know if you find a place in DFW. In case you did not know about it, Autoscope in Dallas and Plano is a good place for tire replacement on high-end cars,. The did a good job on my MX, and offered to powder coat the wheels for $150 each. I did not pull the trigger but probably will next time, unless you know of a better option. Thiose dipped wheels look pretty good.

I would recommend satin! I have 3 set of wheels for my X. Stock 22” in flat, Tsportline in gloss and Unplugged in Satin. By far, I’m most pleased with the satin black sheen. Still has enough shiny finish but not so much that they get instantly dirty like my gloss set. The flat is too boring for me.

As for wheels, I would recommend Unplugged’s 22” UP03’s instead of the Tsportlines. The advertised weight of the Tsportlines are not accurate. Mine where several pounds heavier than advertised and the powder coating began flaking off w/in 2 months of ownership. The UP03’s are 22.2#’s and arrived weighing that exact weight. Just a much better quality wheel IMHO.

I would recommend satin! I have 3 set of wheels for my X. Stock 22” in flat, Tsportline in gloss and Unplugged in Satin. By far, I’m most pleased with the satin black sheen. Still has enough shiny finish but not so much that they get instantly dirty like my gloss set. The flat is too boring for me.

As for wheels, I would recommend Unplugged’s 22” UP03’s instead of the Tsportlines. The advertised weight of the Tsportlines are not accurate. Mine where several pounds heavier than advertised and the powder coating began flaking off w/in 2 months of ownership. The UP03’s are 22.2#’s and arrived weighing that exact weight. Just a much better quality wheel IMHO.

@Lbkmxp100d,

Was just looking at the Tsportlines. Wow....not a good review of the Tsports. What do you attribute the flaking to so early in their life? Bigger question is what warranty does Tsportline give you and are they supporting you in any way Customer Support wise? Thanks for the recommendations on the Unpluggeds.

Ski

Let me know if you find a place in DFW. In case you did not know about it, Autoscope in Dallas and Plano is a good place for tire replacement on high-end cars,. The did a good job on my MX, and offered to powder coat the wheels for $150 each. I did not pull the trigger but probably will next time, unless you know of a better option. Thiose dipped wheels look pretty good.
Do you know if they also do Plasti Dip? I will check for other places too but since you mentioned you had good experience with AutoScope I might just talk to them. $150 per wheel is reasonable from what i read online for powder coating.

Has anyone gone the tirerack route? Using their site, it looks like you can get
HELO HE894 wheels, TPMS Kit, PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, mounted and balanced for $2,104.18. That's less than the tsportline wheels and this includes nice tires from my understanding.

helo_he894_b_sr190.jpg

@Lbkmxp100d,

Was just looking at the Tsportlines. Wow....not a good review of the Tsports. What do you attribute the flaking to so early in their life? Bigger question is what warranty does Tsportline give you and are they supporting you in any way Customer Support wise? Thanks for the recommendations on the Unpluggeds.

Ski

The powder coat was very thin when mine arrived. Around the lip and other areas where there was 90 degree bends you could see how thin the paint was as the primer was bleeding through. Another issue I had that I’m just remembering is where my valve stem connected to wheel there was bad machining and my tire shop had a hard time keeping the air from leaking. They needed up having to put an extra thick rubber bushing and tighten down more than normal.

I contacted Tsportline and had a v/m to call but I had gone on a 2 week vacation the next day and never called them back once I returned. I suspect they would have taken care of the problems but obviously not the quality I was accustomed too. I will try and find the pics I sent Tsportline of the thin pint and machining issues. There was also a small amount of trash In paint. I wasn’t overly concerned about paint since a have a friend with powder coating business that I plan to go satin black with when I get the time.

Hard to see the imperfection in paint from pics but I posted anyways. However, the machining is very obvious!

Attachments

• 4C6223FC-47EE-464D-8888-1734950D973B.jpeg
    4C6223FC-47EE-464D-8888-1734950D973B.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 7F8F896C-A072-4AB7-AA79-366936290011.jpeg
    7F8F896C-A072-4AB7-AA79-366936290011.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 3,119
  • 099119C8-81FD-4936-BB8C-B3084A8F9243.jpeg
    099119C8-81FD-4936-BB8C-B3084A8F9243.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 3,303
The powder coat was very thin when mine arrived. Around the lip and other areas where there was 90 degree bends you could see how thin the paint was as the primer was bleeding through. Another issue I had that I’m just remembering is where my valve stem connected to wheel there was bad machining and my tire shop had a hard time keeping the air from leaking. They needed up having to put an extra thick rubber bushing and tighten down more than normal.

I contacted Tsportline and had a v/m to call but I had gone on a 2 week vacation the next day and never called them back once I returned. I suspect they would have taken care of the problems but obviously not the quality I was accustomed too. I will try and find the pics I sent Tsportline of the thin pint and machining issues. There was also a small amount of trash In paint. I wasn’t overly concerned about paint since a have a friend with powder coating business that I plan to go satin black with when I get the time.

Hard to see the imperfection in paint from pics but I posted anyways. However, the machining is very obvious!

That is not great to hear for people considering purchasing. Any response @Tsportline?