Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte PPF on ultra red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Ultra Red Model X Plaid at the beginning of this week (6/26) and I'm already queued up for a PPF install. I've got to wait a few weeks, so in the meantime, I'm playing around with the clear vs. matte decision. I put a small strip of XPEL Stealth on the back spoiler and took a few shots of it in the daylight and then again in low light to show the sheen... let me know what you think.

IMHO, the XPEL Stealth makes a dramatic difference and looks absolutely fantastic... you can still see some of the "sparkle" of the paint underneath, but not much. I think it makes the car look a lot cleaner and more refined... it'll be the way I go with my PPF... it's the best of the red but without the hassle of upkeep.

The pictures cannot do the matte justice, IMHO.. I'd really need a whole body panel shot in the proper light to do the right comparison, but this is at least a start.

Daylight shot - XPEL Stealth on the right, no PPF on the left:

1688010786209.png

Low-light shot - XPEL Stealth PPF on the right, no PPF on the left:
1688010903200.png

Although I am a big fan of the Satin / matte / Stealth ppf solutions, especially on lighter colors such as white, silver or lighter greys and in some cases even blue, for black it looks outdated and for this Ultra Red (color I have as well) I would not opt for this matte ppf. It removes the depth of the color which is so nice IRL. But ok it is just IMHO

I realized I never followed up to this thread, so my apologies. Here's my Model X Plaid in full Stealth XPEL PPF.

I'm not sure why the thumbnails are blurry... click the pictures and they are crystal clear.

Attachments

• IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_4247.jpeg
    IMG_4247.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_4248.jpeg
    IMG_4248.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_4245.jpeg
    IMG_4245.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_4249.jpeg
    IMG_4249.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_4250.jpeg
    IMG_4250.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 320
I have my ultra red X - standard 5 seater on order, and have been debating whether to stealth PPF it. I'm grateful that some other community members have posted their results - that was very generous of your time and energy to do so.
The stealth Ured definitely has a very different look but I also admit it has a lesser impact on me. So, now I am considering just going with a full front PPF instead of full car and putting a portion of the saved money on doing a 40 % tint on the X's expansive windshield. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I realized I never followed up to this thread, so my apologies. Here's my Model X Plaid in full Stealth XPEL PPF.

I'm not sure why the thumbnails are blurry... click the pictures and they are crystal clear.
You're pretty happy with the results? I know it dulls the shine a bit of course but think it looks interesting.

Planning on going this route as well.

I picked up my Ultra Red Model X Plaid at the beginning of this week (6/26) and I'm already queued up for a PPF install. I've got to wait a few weeks, so in the meantime, I'm playing around with the clear vs. matte decision. I put a small strip of XPEL Stealth on the back spoiler and took a few shots of it in the daylight and then again in low light to show the sheen... let me know what you think.

IMHO, the XPEL Stealth makes a dramatic difference and looks absolutely fantastic... you can still see some of the "sparkle" of the paint underneath, but not much. I think it makes the car look a lot cleaner and more refined... it'll be the way I go with my PPF... it's the best of the red but without the hassle of upkeep.

The pictures cannot do the matte justice, IMHO.. I'd really need a whole body panel shot in the proper light to do the right comparison, but this is at least a start.

Daylight shot - XPEL Stealth on the right, no PPF on the left:

View attachment 951688

Low-light shot - XPEL Stealth PPF on the right, no PPF on the left:
View attachment 951689

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics. I'm on the fence about full clear vs stealth and now leaning towards the stealth. Mind sharing how you feel about the results? Do you still love it? My biggest concern is losing the depth of the color the Ultra Red has. It really does a great job accentuating the subtle lines of the X and makes it feel sexier and more aggressive looking. Afraid of losing that with the stealth.

Reactions: EightBitWhit
Thanks for taking the time to post these pics. I'm on the fence about full clear vs stealth and now leaning towards the stealth. Mind sharing how you feel about the results? Do you still love it? My biggest concern is losing the depth of the color the Ultra Red has. It really does a great job accentuating the subtle lines of the X and makes it feel sexier and more aggressive looking. Afraid of losing that with the stealth.
@Space Cowboy - sure thing - happy to respond to that.

So - I'm about 5 months on with the Stealth PPF and I'm still happy I went that route vs. clear. One thing I will say is that the "luster" of the Ultra Red is not lost when covered with the Stealth PPF - it's just muted. If I walk up to the car and look at any part of the red paint, the "sparkle" is still definitely there and very easy to see. However, if you take just a few steps back, then it fades and you have the "matte" appearance.

One thing I have noticed is that in order for me to have the most satisfaction with this PPF, I have to keep the car clean. When it's nice and clean it shines well and looks SO good. When it's dirty, then it tends to look a bit more "hazy" than I would care for, but a quick wash takes care of that and the car is then back to looking fantastic. I have picked up some of the XPEL matte care concentrated car wash solution that I use in my foam cannon and no joke - it makes the car look really, really good on a wash. I didn't think it would make a difference compared to other soaps, but XPEL says to use their mix with their PPF and considering the money investment I now have in the car, I didn't want to cheap out on soap. :)

Go for it - you'll love it. The car is very unique looking (in a good way) and doesn't look like every other Tesla on the road as a result.

@Space Cowboy - sure thing - happy to respond to that.

So - I'm about 5 months on with the Stealth PPF and I'm still happy I went that route vs. clear. One thing I will say is that the "luster" of the Ultra Red is not lost when covered with the Stealth PPF - it's just muted. If I walk up to the car and look at any part of the red paint, the "sparkle" is still definitely there and very easy to see. However, if you take just a few steps back, then it fades and you have the "matte" appearance.

One thing I have noticed is that in order for me to have the most satisfaction with this PPF, I have to keep the car clean. When it's nice and clean it shines well and looks SO good. When it's dirty, then it tends to look a bit more "hazy" than I would care for, but a quick wash takes care of that and the car is then back to looking fantastic. I have picked up some of the XPEL matte care concentrated car wash solution that I use in my foam cannon and no joke - it makes the car look really, really good on a wash. I didn't think it would make a difference compared to other soaps, but XPEL says to use their mix with their PPF and considering the money investment I now have in the car, I didn't want to cheap out on soap. :)

Go for it - you'll love it. The car is very unique looking (in a good way) and doesn't look like every other Tesla on the road as a result.
Curious how much did you pay for the stealth Matte PPF?