TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Matte Seat Back Replacement

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by TallPaulS, Apr 26, 2017.

1. TallPaulS

TallPaulS Member

I'm curious whether anyone has inquired as to the compatibility/cost of changing the gloss seat backs in the MX to the new matte ones. I still remember laughing out loud when the sales agent tried to convince me that Tesla did that with kids in mind (easier to clean). As if they weren't scratch magnets.

I've got a guy quoting $200/ea to wrap, but if the cost to replace with matte ones were within a couple hundred of that I'd almost rather have the matte to begin with.

2. outie

outie Active Member

The glossy ones are like 130$ so I imagine the matte ones are around the same price. If so yes it's cheaper than to wrap.

3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

You really should be charged 600 so 150 each and maybe a tiny bit more to do the rear backrests.

200 is asking too much. And do it in XP Stealth. Looks awesome.

4. jason1466

jason1466 Member

Interested as well. Picking up my car from service today, so I will inquire on cost. In my 5 seater, I only need 2 replaced. I would be fine paying $260 for that and keeping the like-new gloss ones for later car resale option.

5. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Has anyone actually tested the matte seat backs to see if they are actually more scratch resistant/durable than the glossy ones?

6. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

Who is offering to wrap them? I want to do that to my matte ones because kids :)

7. someTimesJoe

someTimesJoe Member

If it's anything like the S's backseats, they should hold up well. I had a loaner S for almost a month and my toddlers placed and kicked the seat backs all the time. A moist towel or baby wipes cleaned them up well without any scratches.

8. jason1466

jason1466 Member

My SC rep said he will inquire, but they have not even seen a car with the latest matte backs. We looked on mine, and noticed there are 3 or 4 gloss parts per seat to replace, so this will cost more than $130 per seat he thought. Upon looking at the side view of the driver seat, now I really appreciate the gloss more (show car look), so I think I will just leave it alone, and replace the back piece only as/if needed, maybe put on xpel if I find an installer at $100/seat. If/when I get a price from Tesla, I will relay it here.

• Like x 2
  9. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

The matte seats on my X appears identical to the matte seats on my S.
    The mold is different of course, but the material and texture is the same.

• Informative x 1
  10. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I'm also interested to hear what you find out. I think I would like the mat finish better, but will need to live with the glossing for a while first.