Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maui Jim’s detected a yellow border on my Model X screen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
So I had been driving for a few hours in the rain, when the sun suddenly broke out.

I put on my Maui Jim’s, and see a giant yellow rectangle pop out on the screen!

I take it off, yellow rectangle disappears.

I’ve heard reports of yellowing happening on the screen, but not that it was visible only while wearing sunglasses.

I suspect the problem will get worse over time and will eventually be detectable with the naked eye but thought that was an interesting find.

Would appreciate if a kind and knowledgeable individual can point me to next steps. Try to replace screen or wait longer and see if new screens will improve quality of repair?

I am a little over 2 years into ownership of the MX.

So I had been driving for a few hours in the rain, when the sun suddenly broke out.

I’ve heard reports of yellowing happening on the screen, but not that it was visible only while wearing sunglasses.

I suspect the problem will get worse over time and will eventually be detectable with the naked eye but thought that was an interesting find.

Would appreciate if a kind and knowledgeable individual can point me to next steps. Try to replace screen or wait longer and see if new screens will improve quality of repair?

Try cold reboot. (Hold brake and press both scroll wheels. count to 5.) Other people have posted that this helped.

But, all Maui Jim sunglasses have strongly polarized lenses which can render some displays useless or really screwed up. I got some recently and it made the HUD in my BMW have huge blacked out areas. In the end, the eye doctor had to have the lab pull the original Maui Jim polarized lenses out, and make up some non-polarized lenses with my prescription and stick them in the Maui Jim frames. That works great, but now I have no warranty on the frames, and had to pay another $100 for the new lenses.

I suggest you try a pair of non-polarized sunglasses and see if the problem occurs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Dre78
Believe that you are just seening the glue that sometimes yellows on these displays. No way will Tesla replace your display under warranty due to the glue becoming visible under polarized lenses.

It's silly to ask Tesla for something based on "when I wear my sunglasses I can see it" as a rationale.

I have a feeling however that the borders will manifest itself and the Maui Jims just helped me find it sooner.
From my understanding, this program gets worse not better when first detected.

I’m on my 2nd MCU due to yellowing. The latest word is that they stopped replacing them as a fix is not available. But if you can see it with the sunglasses, it’s there. Might just be a glare issue. I’d play around with brightness and day/night mode to see if it’s more prominent. Most you can do right now though is get it on record with the SC so that it’s covered under warranty when a fix becomes available.

Even if you convince them of a replacement, sadly it comes back eventually. That said, no idea what causes. One is on the original MCU, the other goes yellow in about 8 months.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
According to Costa Mesa (backed up by ownership) all replacements for this symptom are on hold as engineering seeks a permanent fix.

My yellow border is really bad. I dropped my car off for service for some other issues to get repaired and they looked at the screen and acknowledged that the issue is happening on most screens after a certain point. They said replacing it now it might come back and they wont replace it until they have a sure solution. I made sure it was all documented so they can not complain later if I am out of warranty by the time they find the fix.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing