TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Maui owners Haleakala drive

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Polly Wog, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Many thanks to @crikescrikes for organizing a Maui owners drive up Haleakala yesterday, January 7, 2017. He coordinated filming that should turn out pretty cool, but my girlfriend and I got some decent photos, so I'm creating this thread and posting them here. Many thanks as well to John Browning and his family for the hospitality and generosity in helping make it an even more enjoyable experience. It was really cool to finally have a get together of Maui owners!

image.jpeg

My first up close with a Roadster. So cool!

image.jpeg

• Love x 8
    • Like x 2
  2. skitch23

skitch23 Member

#2 skitch23, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    How so very cool! I was there at this time last year and I only saw one white Model S (usually parked at one of the local beach spots on the way towards Ka'anapali). I probably would have died had I seen that many Teslas in a row!

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, I also saw a different white one down by the Four Seasons in Makena.

• Like x 1
  3. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    It was nice to have the only classic blue Model S in the group.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  4. EternalChampion

Beautiful. My wife and I are hoping to move to Maui this Summer. We'll be bringing our Model S and Model X to add to the Maui roster.

5. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Fantastic! I saw a few Model S in December and also a blue Model X, with what I think was a wine colored wrap on a few parts of the vehicle. Going the other way on the highway up to Lahaina, so only caught a quick glance. A roadster that probably lives down towards Makena. Model S at Maui Brewing (company owner perhaps). My wife thought I could forget about Tesla while on vacation... she was wrong!

It was two years since we were last there and I was happily surprised by the exponential increase in solar panel installations.

6. Richard Maui

Richard Maui Member

Tesla caravan to the summit of Haleakala. Wonderful day! IMG_2638.JPG IMG_2641.JPG

• Like x 4
  7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Amazing. Wow.

8. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

Nice pics! Looks like a great turnout! Can't wait to see the video!

10. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

Nice pics! Looks like a great turnout! Can't wait to see the video!

11. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Very nice! It's been 25 years since I have been to Haleakala, but I still remember the correct pronunciation :)
    Great ride in a Mustang convertible. Maybe in 3 years when we go back I can rent a Tesla. Is there a supercharger nearby?
    Awesome pictures!

12. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

@Chopr147, We don't have, nor are we likely to ever get, Superchargers here on Maui. However, there are several L2 style chargers (that any EV can use) and also CHAdeMo chargers as well - but using those is more complicated. Also, in 3 years, it is likely that you would be able to rent a Tesla here.

13. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

So, the word is that the filmmaker might have something by January 21st. Hopefully, we'll have something really cool to see once he is finished. Stay tuned...

• Like x 2
  14. spleen

spleen Active Member

awesome!!

15. DrivingTheFuture

Beautiful! I lived on Maui for a year from 2010 to 2011... Back then I was just a poor boy with a motorcycle... Worked at an exotic car dealership then at a swanky restaurant. I used to dream of having a nice car someday... Fast forward to October 2016 and I became the proud owner of a Model X, this is so neat to see as I made the drive up Haleakala several times and even did it with my family when they visited to catch the sunrise. How was the Regen on the way back down?! I bet it was epic. I hope to go back to the island soon and sit down to dinner at the same restaurant where I worked in the kitchen... Order one of their $2,000 bottles of wine- just to see the look on my managers face ;)

• Like x 2
  16. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. DrivingTheFuture

As soon as I grasped the concept of Regenerative charging during the first few weeks of owning my Chevy Volt, my mind immediately went to imagining what it would be like to drive back down Haleakala... I'd imagine you actually get much more distance than just the elevation alone because of the winding switchbacks... Very cool to know you get 30 miles back in an S! I'll def check out your video

18. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

Hopefully this works. With that said, here is a link to the video:

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

20. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

Great video. Am working on getting this published on the Tesla social media sites so the whole world can see how lucky we are to live in Hawaii and drive a Tesla!

• Love x 1