Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mavis Tire - Can't perform tire swap due to anti-theft protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered some new tires from my local Mavis Discount Tire earlier this week so I could have them swap out my summer tires from my 20" sport rims. While on the phone with them, I confirmed that they would be able to work on my M3P and was assured that they would be able to provide the service.

Today I got a phone call from the store manager, and he told me that they can't work on Teslas because when they try to lift the car "the anti-theft protection on the call will lock the car up because it thinks its being stolen and you have to call Tesla to unlock the car".

This doesn't sound right, and this is the first time I've ever heard of something like this. I suspect it's a misunderstanding with the vehicle's proximity key/lock. Needless to say, they refused to swap my tires so I need to find somewhere else that can provide the service.

Has anybody else heard of this or had their local tire shop tell them something like this? Tire shops seem to really not want to touch this car...

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
They literally made that up

My guess is, they put teslas on a lift and the owners had not turned off walk away lock or some such, so the cars locked while the owner was in the waiting room. Just guessing but feel like thats a good guess.

Kind of like how many car washes dont want anything to do with teslas because they dont roll through the car wash without a "butt in the seat" (unless something with that has changed, I havent taken my model 3 to a car wash).

So, then they made up an excuse in their head as to why the alarm was going off when they lifted the model 3 or something.

My guess is, they put teslas on a lift and the owners had not turned off walk away lock or some such, so the cars locked while the owner was in the waiting room. Just guessing but feel like thats a good guess.

Kind of like how many car washes dont want anything to do with teslas because they dont roll through the car wash without a "butt in the seat" (unless something with that has changed, I havent taken my model 3 to a car wash).

So, then they made up an excuse in their head as to why the alarm was going off when they lifted the model 3 or something.
Someone did that to me once (left it in Sentry Mode) and I had a minor heart attack when it started blaring Christmas metal at me.

Reactions: jjrandorin
My guess is, they put teslas on a lift and the owners had not turned off walk away lock or some such, so the cars locked while the owner was in the waiting room.
This sounds like its most likely what happened. My other guess was they couldn't figure out how to use the card-key.

However, you might as well find another shop at this point if they're not wanting on work on it.
I did end up taking it to a different local tire shop that was way more Tesla-savvy and had better reviews. Unfortunately, they ended up chipping the gray paint off of one of my rims -_-

I'll be going back to the shop to see what (if anything) they can do to fix it

So I ordered some new tires from my local Mavis Discount Tire earlier this week so I could have them swap out my summer tires from my 20" sport rims. While on the phone with them, I confirmed that they would be able to work on my M3P and was assured that they would be able to provide the service.

Today I got a phone call from the store manager, and he told me that they can't work on Teslas because when they try to lift the car "the anti-theft protection on the call will lock the car up because it thinks its being stolen and you have to call Tesla to unlock the car".

This doesn't sound right, and this is the first time I've ever heard of something like this. I suspect it's a misunderstanding with the vehicle's proximity key/lock. Needless to say, they refused to swap my tires so I need to find somewhere else that can provide the service.

Has anybody else heard of this or had their local tire shop tell them something like this? Tire shops seem to really not want to touch this car...
I think they are worry that the car will lock itself after few minutes and chocs or vibrations will trigger an alarm.

In fact when you give your car to a mechanic or a body shop, the car should be set in Service mode.
This disable the remote App to avoid someone playing with the windows, horn... while the car is in service.

However you can show on the display that the Alarm and Sentry are not set.
Eventually you can keep the car unlock by adding the shop location to the keep unlock setting.
So the car will be unlocked and the access card will only needed to move the car.

The only issue is to have the car in Neutral when doing the alignment,
and Tesla provides a note describing how to put the car in Neutral when the driver is not inside the car.
(Basically you need to first buckle up the driver seat belt before sitting inside the car,
close the driver door, go to Neutral, and exit using the passenger door.)

Note: To put the car in Neutral, the simplest is to put the car in Towing mode, but this last only 20 minutes,
so it is better to keep the driver window open to access the screen to reset the towing mode if needed.
Of course, use only Neutral when the car in on a flat surface and put locks on the wheels to avoid rolling.

I would recommend checking the alignment after rotating the tires.
I checked the alignment when my Model 3 was new, and all the toe angles were a little bit out of range.
I go to Big'O Tires and they have a 6 months warranty, so I get used to check the alignment every 6 months.

Last edited: