Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max 3phase charging, Model S - AP2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a model S P90D AP2.0 (Oct 2016), and recently installed a 3phase charger at work.

Max the car will charge at is 16A, however I believe the cars max should be 16.5kW (tesla website and calling them directly), allowing for 24A per phase.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Cheers

Nick

Obvious first question, do you have dual chargers in the car. If you do, I would have thought Oct 2016 would have the old chargers which can do 32A/phase = 22kW. If you only have one, that would be consistent with 16A/3ph. Or, the charger is not correctly set up.

Obvious first question, do you have dual chargers in the car. If you do, I would have thought Oct 2016 would have the old chargers which can do 32A/phase = 22kW. If you only have one, that would be consistent with 16A/3ph. Or, the charger is not correctly set up.

Single charger, as noted, car is AP2.0, built after Jun 2016, and according to the below it should have 16.5kW onboard = ~24A three phase, hence the question.

Charge Your Tesla Where You Park | Tesla Australia

Home Charging Installation

Tesla Charging Options for Australia

Maybe the 16.5kW was an option rather than standard?

That is correct. The refresh-nose S's started deliveries in late May/early June 2016 and came with single 17kW onboard chargers software limited to 11kW. The upgrage cost was then $2,500 and it could be ordered from within your Tesla account.
I dunno about that.
I have an Aug 16 (delivered Oct 16) new nose Model S.
I asked about upgrading and they said I'd need new hardware. Then again, they might have been guessing though.

I have a 2016 facelift S90D that allegedly has the 17kW upgrade.. how can I determine if it is present? The only time I've charged on a 3-phase destination charger it was a 15A one, so could not tell.

jump onto Plugshare.com and set your filters to only show 3phase, then zoom into your local area and see if there are any 3phase outlets with 32A power (example). Connect your car at one of those locations and see what is reported in the Charging screen.

Reactions: aegidius
I see Plugshare is now reporting the actual power of the destination charger (like the one above 22kW). It never used to do that. I'll try it.

It still doesn't say for the 3-phase outlets. They will all be limited to 16A by the UMC and Euro tail anyway, but it might be useful to know which 3-phase socket is available (20A or 32A)

I see Plugshare is now reporting the actual power of the destination charger (like the one above 22kW). It never used to do that. I'll try it.

It still doesn't say for the 3-phase outlets. They will all be limited to 16A by the UMC and Euro tail anyway, but it might be useful to know which 3-phase socket is available (20A or 32A)

Just use a 3 phase 25 or 32 amp destination charger, use plugshare comments to determine if it's a true 25 or 32amp three phase before arrival, sometimes Tesla will promote a site as high amps but the electrician has not changed the setting to a higher level.

Yes Plugshare can leave you wanting in the details department, that is fo sure!. As Blue Heaven says, just use a known 22kW Tesla desination charger and see what your Charging screen reports, or if at a 3phase location where 3phase 32A is shown, you need a 22kW EVSE.

If you do not have access to one, TOCA members can borrow one, or buy one, for example here or same but cheaper alternative here.

Yes Plugshare can leave you wanting in the details department, that is fo sure!. As Blue Heaven says, just use a known 22kW Tesla desination charger and see what your Charging screen reports, or if at a 3phase location where 3phase 32A is shown, you need a 22kW EVSE.

If you do not have access to one, TOCA members can borrow one, or buy one, for example here or same but cheaper alternative here.

Today I used my EVSE Maxicharger connected to a 32A 3ph socket to charge my new Raven Model S and as you can see from the pictures it was drawing max 24A, charging at max 18 kW (rounded figure) = 88 km/h added.
20191027_083956.jpg
20191027_084014.jpg

Update:

Fairly vague responses from Tesla so far, and received this today, which strangely said 17.5A.

"Hi Nick,

Our Technician has looked further into your charger firmware unlock and has raised the work request required to increase your charge capacity to a max of 17.5A

Please find the estimate for this work attached."

upload_2019-11-5_12-37-21.png

I've responding saying that the website lists 16.5kW onboard charger capable of 24A three phase for refreshed vehicles, as per the links I posted above.

Reactions: Dylanpete
Update:

Fairly vague responses from Tesla so far, and received this today, which strangely said 17.5A.

"Hi Nick,

Our Technician has looked further into your charger firmware unlock and has raised the work request required to increase your charge capacity to a max of 17.5A

Please find the estimate for this work attached."

View attachment 473300

I've responding saying that the website lists 16.5kW onboard charger capable of 24A three phase for refreshed vehicles, as per the links I posted above.

You have to work out how much value you'll get from upgrading from 11kw to 17.5kw, that's the equivalent of going from a charging speed of 54kms typical range per hour to 80kms typical. As the DC charger infrastructure rolls out AC charging becomes less relevant. I have the original model S with dual chargers (22kw) but they get used a LOT, unless your planning on many long distance trips on AC charging you best skip the upgrade and invest the $2545 elsewhere.

I must agree with aegidius. That $2545 gives you much more flexibility and time saving.
Going back to the original post of nick_tassi I note that he has a 3ph charger installed at work so I assume that there may be a need to charge the car during the day at work and there is a justified need to have the car charged faster.