Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power...Heating Est. 35min???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So..I have not tried the max battery thing in my P85D. But I wanted to turn it on so I could try Launch mode.

When I turned it on, it told me it was heating and the estimated time was 35 minutes? I'm totally lost.

Can someone point me in the right direction so I can better understand this? I figured that there would be a 2-3 minute time for max battery but 35 minutes? Hu?

I'm in SoCal.

You're lucky you don't live in a colder climate. I've seen it predict over an hour. The good news is that launch mode doesn't require you to have reached the heat level first, just that you've turned it on.

Just out of curiosity Letsgofast. If you preheat the battery and its cold outside or you are on a very long journey which involved a few S/C stops. As long as you are driving, does the battery get heated sufficiently by waste heat generated from driving at cruising speeds or does the car have to use additional energy to heat the battery?

Thanks...I did figure out that I could use launch mode. I guess I just don't understand this feature at all. Who gets in their car for 30+ minutes to wait to be able to use it. So odd.

Maybe if you could even do it from the app. But basically you have an hour of 5+kw draw. If you want to go fast, you have to do it on shore power to preserve SoC, so it's more than just get in and drive away while turning it on.

Just out of curiosity Letsgofast. If you preheat the battery and its cold outside or you are on a very long journey which involved a few S/C stops. As long as you are driving, does the battery get heated sufficiently by waste heat generated from driving at cruising speeds or does the car have to use additional energy to heat the battery?

Driving in very cold climates I found the car usually has enough heat from the motor/inverter to keep the battery just warm enough. Supercharging will heat the battery up petty well. So on long trips between Superchargers, you will never see the battery heater kick in. I have driven 4 hour legs between Superchargers at very low temperatures, and the battery heater never turned on. If you stop without charging and the car sits in the cold for several hours, it definitely gets cold and the battery heater will kick in at least in the beginning. Once there is enough heat from the motor and inverter it will turn off and the battery is kept warm enough "for free".

I have driven 4 hour legs between Superchargers at very low temperatures, and the battery heater never turned on. If you stop without charging and the car sits in the cold for several hours, it definitely gets cold and the battery heater will kick in at least in the beginning.
How did you drive continuously for 4 hours between SC's in cold weather without stopping or draining the battery?