Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished installing 2019.12.1.1. No changes at all. Homelink still doesn't work at all, no response on initial push to talk, typing in the browser takes approx 20 seconds for each key press to register. Will wait to see if the random main screen crashes and settings bugs continue.

Of course the launch mode and loss of what feels like around 100hp have not been fixed.

The P85D is still capable of maximum power without max battery engaged, at least it is on mine running V8 as long as the battery is actually warm, it makes about 445KW at 90% @ 87K miles(down about 13KW since I first got the L upgrade at 19K miles in 2015.

I bought a 2016 refresh P90DL last week and made the mistake of updating it last night. 10% less total output 510kw with L+ compared to 550-560kw with max battery. No launch mode. Also, there is no way to see your battery temperature or if it's ready. Also, EE starfeild does nothing. Who knew your car could lose 100hp in a week! 2.6sec 0-60 is impossible.. I'm very disappointed

The P90DL V3 NEVER made more than 511KW at 1600 amps and 320 volts. The P100D's 1762 amp battery is in the 560KW range with L+.

This is devastating, it’s been broken for a while now. Im wondering if I need to bounce off the Tesla train at this point. I’m not even 5 years in and my $120,000+ model S just got downgraded to a model 3 in performance.

I don’t even want to look at this car, my 1/4 times since 2019 update went from 11.12 to 11.75.

How is this ok? I’ve called Tesla at least 15 times and they never understand what I’m talking about when I call.

Anything we can do as a community or just wait and deal with a 6 figure paid beta test? My love affair with Tesla is over, I fear this will not be fixed ever and that teslas just gonna say F you to anyone who is on HW1.0. This had to be the biggest bait and switch in automotive history and if true makes me feel this company is shady trash.

This has bait and switch lawsuit written all over it.

All I want tesla to do at this point is roll me back to 2018.50.x
I'll be happy as a clam if they do that. I know it's possible. We just need to put enough pressure on them to do that.
Has anyone ever successfully been “rolled back” to a previous software version? I’d rather be on the 2018.50.6 and have full power available.
Tesla should be able to do it upon request - remotely. They may not be able to easily roll you all the way back to 2018.50.6, but they should be able to go back to something like 2019.4.2, which still has the old style max battery power mode with launch mode functional (confirmed on a P85DL AP1). Either that or hopefully they have the bug sorted out in a newer build soon.

I suspect this one might just be a bonehead move by one of the coders. The pre-Ludi+ cars have always been in this oddball situation where they don't get the same UI experience as the Ludi+ cars (no temperature indication on instrument cluster even though the capability is there, etc). This may have just been someone assuming the code would behave the same on those older cars but it doesn't, so now no pack heating or launch mode because the UI control is just broken for those models currently. Based on that it seems more like an oversight/bug than an intentional nerf.
Side note @Tech_Guy - your P100D should not be impacted by this.

@malventano I agree. Prior to the FW upgrade, when I put the car in ludi+ mode, I never got the "No I want my mommy" confirmation. The fact that snippet of code was missing is indicative of the inability to enable max battery power seeing as the devs just assumed all cars had that dialog popup.

i feel like performance S cars have an adventure in power diminishing every year now...

Really? How so?

You can't count the 691 hp debacle. The car never had that power in the first place and Tesla finally revised it to 463 hp(insane mode) but they never actually reduced the power.

There was a very brief period where L+ wasn't available unless you used launch mode which meant you were reduced in power for things like rolling passes, but Tesla very quickly undid that.

Of course the cars will lose a little power year after year because as the battery ages and degrades, IR will go up resulting in deeper voltage losses, but I don't think that's what you meant.

The current issue is that there's a bug where the battery heater can no longer be turned on which means you'll have to warm it up via charging or driving first before you get full power.

But I've seen no evidence posted in this thread that the PDL cars are actually producing less power than they did before.

P85D here w/o Max Power mode but now with Insane+ button that seemingly does nothing. No actual battery warming as others have mentioned. I sure hope they resolve quickly as I just bought a P85D a couple of weeks ago and I sure didn't buy it to put around town like my other Model S cars.

In somewhat related news, why no ability to enable launch mode w/o heating batteries first? I realize it won't be quite as fast but... so? If anything, that will prolong the life of the drivetrain components so you shouldn't be FORCED to reach max battery temp just to access launch mode. Is simply mashing the accelerator pedal from a stop handled the same as what I'm describing? I assume it's pretty darn close, right? Maybe I'm complaining about something that basically exists already and I just don't know it.

While I'm complaining, I wish we could enable "Max Power" from the phone app. There's been lots of times where I've been talking about it with people knowing full well that in 20-25min we'll be heading out to take a spin. It sure would be nice if I could have it heating that entire time so, after a brief ride to show them how quiet and smooth it is and demonstrating all the features, I can do a full launch to really drive the point home (see what I did there?). Instead I have to take them for a 45min ride that they're bored of for the last 15-20min just to give them the real show?

• Love
Reactions: tubaprde and sorka