Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Directly after super charging to 97% today I logged only 417kW with my p85dL 55k miles.... hmmm. Isn’t that “just” “insane” type of power?

Looks to be around what P85D on insane mode max battery power outputs based on the plot from Old Man Mike:
TeslaPwrLudPlus.jpg

Anyone who really cares about their cars performance has to get Dragy and measure real 0-60 and 1/8 and 1/4 mile times.

And while the power tools peak numbers are interesting, but the Teslalog power curves are much more infomative.

Both Dragy and Teslalog show no change for my P85DL before and after the update. And my best ever 1/4 time, and the fastest time on Dragtimes time slips was done without Launch Mode and with the battery heated from supercharging and prior runs and no battery heater on, but the battery cooler came on shortly after the run.

• Informative
Reactions: tubaprde
Anyone who really cares about their cars performance has to get Dragy and measure real 0-60 and 1/8 and 1/4 mile times.

And while the power tools peak numbers are interesting, but the Teslalog power curves are much more infomative.

Both Dragy and Teslalog show no change for my P85DL before and after the update. And my best ever 1/4 time, and the fastest time on Dragtimes time slips was done without Launch Mode and with the battery heated from supercharging and prior runs and no battery heater on, but the battery cooler came on shortly after the run.

Are the canbus logs from power tools not accurate after the recent updates to Tesla’s software?

Serious question. I would consider getting a Dragy for measurement but all I want to see is accurate peak power.

I just ordered a Dragy. Will be here Saturday. Granted, I don't have any before times, but I'm willing to bet money that my 0-60 times are in the 3.2-3.5 range. I ran a P100DL about a week after I got the car - both of us had max power enabled and we were literally neck and neck to about 80mph, so unless his car was a complete dog, my car should be showing some decent power.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla has not even begun to investigate this issue. If they cared enough about their early adopter customers they would have just rolled back firmware until a working firmware was made. I had my suspicions that eventually Tesla would all but abandon support for their AP1 owners.

The P85DL and early P90DL cars have been problematic and prone to battery failure. They've tried to dial back power before to minimize liability. I fear this is the latest installment in CYA on those cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and 3mp_kwh
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla has not even begun to investigate this issue. If they cared enough about their early adopter customers they would have just rolled back firmware until a working firmware was made. I had my suspicions that eventually Tesla would all but abandon support for their AP1 owners.

The sad part about that is that those who have 'full access' to their own cars can roll back to the prior update, yet Tesla themselves can't manage to correct a bug that removed features from a $100k+ automobile. Even Apple continues to digitally sign previous updates for a period of time after a new update comes out, allowing users to roll back if the new update breaks something.

Hey now, this is a safe zone :). Ludicrous Plus gives you the ability to heat the battery to about 122F to generate a bit more power from the motors. It's also supposed to provide more details regarding battery temps in the gauge cluster, but with the P90DL, I've never seen that. Ludicrous plus is supposed to shave around a tenth of a second off 0-60 times and about 2-3 tenths off the 1/4 mile (YMMV)

If you see no difference between the two, then you are affected by the issue everyone has been discussing in this thread.
Chip, to be honest, my drop in power is actually in regular ludicrous mode, not necessarily plus. I only ever used the battery heating a couple of times and didn't notice that much of an increase. It's my regular ludicrous mode that feels significantly down on power.