Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Range on Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 100% Battery Charge seems to give me ~294 miles of range on 2018 Model 3 Performance with 10k miles
I know it depends on driving style, road condition, weather, etc. But it seems to be quite lower than expected.
How is everyone's range looking so far?

It's just an estimate based on your energy usage. If you want to raise some it stay a good bit under 70 and don't use the cabin heater, ever.

Mine went from 293 to 298 over the last week.

I think you may be misunderstanding how the battery display works, basically the 310 miles that it shows when the car is brand new (and for some thousands of miles afterwards) it the best shape the battery will be in, which is rated at approximately 240 Wh/mi.

So essentially if you notice the number (when 100% charged) being below 310 miles, that means your battery has irreversibly lost a tiny bit of range regardless of how efficiently you drive, since it is still rated at the 240 Wh/mi mark.

Now of course through efficient driving you could still get MORE than the 310 miles (or whatever your new maximum range is) but again that would be at a Wh/mi rate different than the default 240 Wh/mi that the battery is based on.

tl:dr whatever number the battery shows at full charge is the amount of miles you can get if you drive at 240 Wh/mi, thus if we see a drop in the number of miles you get on a full charge, you have permanently lost range due to slight battery degradation.

Reactions: Sherlo
Yes I've lost range, but that isn't all that changes the number. There are tons of threads on this, which have shown that after a recent update the displayed range dropped for a lot of people.

My 100% range has moved up and down within about a 7 mile window over the last few months. Over the last week I've made it a point to only use seat heaters when driving, which lowered my average Wh/mi, and as of my last charge raised my 100% range.

Not saying I haven't lost range, but as recent threads have said that number varies based on a variety of things.

I think you may be misunderstanding how the battery display works, basically the 310 miles that it shows when the car is brand new (and for some thousands of miles afterwards) it the best shape the battery will be in, which is rated at approximately 240 Wh/mi.

So essentially if you notice the number (when 100% charged) being below 310 miles, that means your battery has irreversibly lost a tiny bit of range regardless of how efficiently you drive, since it is still rated at the 240 Wh/mi mark.

Now of course through efficient driving you could still get MORE than the 310 miles (or whatever your new maximum range is) but again that would be at a Wh/mi rate different than the default 240 Wh/mi that the battery is based on.

tl:dr whatever number the battery shows at full charge is the amount of miles you can get if you drive at 240 Wh/mi, thus if we see a drop in the number of miles you get on a full charge, you have permanently lost range due to slight battery degradation.

Yes I've lost range, but that isn't all that changes the number. There are tons of threads on this, which have shown that after a recent update the displayed range dropped for a lot of people.

My 100% range has moved up and down within about a 7 mile window over the last few months. Over the last week I've made it a point to only use seat heaters when driving, which lowered my average Wh/mi, and as of my last charge raised my 100% range.

Not saying I haven't lost range, but as recent threads have said that number varies based on a variety of things.

Oh dang I wasnt aware of that, from what Ive read, once the number on the battery display drops (again assuming youre at 100% charge) then its permanent which reflects the small degradation of the battery.

Wasnt aware that the actual 100% charge mile that it displays could fluctuate...

Can someone point me in the direction of the threads that talk about the recent range degradation due to a recent update? Following with TeslaFi, I overnight went from 311-309 to a steady 304-302 with rollout of 36.2.1 and then 298 with 40.1.1 - also overnight. There have been little change in temperatures or my driving efficiency over this time (also captured in TeslaFi), so I am puzzled as to why.

Can someone point me in the direction of the threads that talk about the recent range degradation due to a recent update? Following with TeslaFi, I overnight went from 311-309 to a steady 304-302 with rollout of 36.2.1 and then 298 with 40.1.1 - also overnight. There have been little change in temperatures or my driving efficiency over this time (also captured in TeslaFi), so I am puzzled as to why.

Most of them have been merged into the master thread I Linked above (the post right before yours in this thread). This thread should be merged into that one as well, at some point.