TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Max charge: 407 km rated range, actual capable rated range: <380 km (@ 190 wh/km)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mlaureti, Jul 28, 2014.

1. mlaureti

mlaureti Member

#1 mlaureti, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Car says: max charge at 407km of rated range. (Meaning: 407km if consumption is 200 wh/km)
    At the end of the trip (without stopping): The car did 377 km with average energy of 190 wh/km with 4km left.

If I understand this properly, my real actual max charge gives me less than 380km of rated range on a full charge. (< 237 miles)
    This means I lost more than 50km (>31miles) after 1.5 year, am I correct?

Have you noticed the same degradation level?
    I attached a picture of my last trip, it is in km. Next time, I will set the unit of the car in miles.

No air conditioning / heating was used during this trip

Thanks for sharing your numbers / real life experience about your actual capable rated range.

I also created a shared public spreadsheet: Battery Stats - Google Sheets

Attached Files:

2. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

I have noticed too that one has to spend 190Wh/km or less to be about on-par with the typical range deduction, the reason seems to be that starting from some firmware (5.9?) the climate usage isn't reported in this usage. Therefore your actual Wh/km are higher. When I got me car in Dec '13 I could spend 79kWh and still drive (battery indicator showed 4% remaining even though I was 10km already past charge now. Now it's more like 70-72kWh from full charge that I'm approaching 0 with far less behind charge now. Though I usually range charge to 398-402km I've been able to go 396km with 24km left snd average around 186Wh/km, but it wasn't a hot day so cooling probably didn't work that hard.

3. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I believe there are still 4-5 kWh available as a reserve after you hit zero. This would mean that you have a total of ~77kWh. If a new 85 offers ~81kWh, you're down 5%. I'm not sure how that compares to average given the age of and kilometrage put on your battery.

4. Kalud

Kalud Active Member

Corrected. Rated range is not at 200Wh/km but more like 178Wh/km.

Your numbers looks fine, 407 is on the low side (to me) but I'm only at 16,000km. I get 420km for a 100% charge, down from the 430 initially. But its hard to base anything on these 100% charge numbers because when I updated from 5.8 to 5.9 (or 5.11, not sure) I went back to 430km 100% range... Its an estimation, not an exact representation...

For comparison, distance to 0 km remaining:

At 178Wh/km I get 420km max (rated range is 420 for 100% charge on my car) 90-100km/h no headwind, flat terrain
    At 200Wh/km I get 365km (120km/h, no headwind, flat terrain)
    At 250Wh/km I get 305km (cold winter, snow)

5. mlaureti

mlaureti Member

Thank you for the Clarification Kalud regarding the rated value of 178!

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

For my 85 in the U.S., I have found the rated miles = actual miles, Wh/mi factor to be 290 Wh/mi. 290 Wh/mi / 1.6093 km/mi = 180 Wh/km, pretty close to 178 Wh/km.

7. Kalud

Kalud Active Member

Okay, did some experiment this morning, the rated km is at about 183 Wh/km.

table.png
    IMG_3262 - small.JPG IMG_3263 - Small.JPG
    IMG_3264 - Small.JPG IMG_3265 - Small.JPG

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have not run my battery to anything below bout 35 miles, but I can tell you this: When my car was new, a Range Charge gave me 265 miles on the nose. I now get around 241 after 17 months and 31,000 miles of ownership. That's about a 10% reduction. In my case, it may not actually be that bad because I've never "tested" it by running it right down, and the car's calculation may be somewhat skewed by the fact that I rarely charge to full and run to empty.

9. In2oil

In2oil Member

My Current TESLA which is only 7 months old and with 5060km. When purchased NEW i was getting @ 90% 474km. Now I get 471km. My Rated range is 364km or 226miles. My energy usage is quite low, I think, for a P85D. From NEW it is 189wh/km
    I am a little disappointed to see this much degradation to my battery with so little usage.

10. Vger

Vger Active Member

Many people have reported, and there indications from the LiIon battery literature, that degradation proceeds a little more rapidly at the very beginning, then levels off so a much slower rate for a long time (at least 5 years). So I would not be too concerned. Those of us with 3-year-old batteries are seeing very little additional degradation.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep. See my post above from last summer. I'm now at 61,000 miles and seeing almost exactly the same numbers as I did 14 months ago.

12. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I forget where I read it, but ideal range is based on 188 wh/km. And I've found that this works out pretty much exactly on my various trips.