Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Charge 92%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been a MS 90D owner for 18 months now and have loved every minute of owning the car. Recently I have noticed what I mentally thought and in reality experienced was battery degradation. Every Friday and Sunday I have a 125 mile out and back road trip I need to take and previously had no problem completing on a full charge (normally only charge to 85% except for right before these trips) but the last month or so I see my estimated arrival to be 48% and return of -7%. While I am normally able to recover some I definitely have needed to supercharge just a but to make it home with 10-20% (for health of the battery).
Now for today.... I wanted to attempt to recalibrate the battery so I drove the battery down to 8% and started the charge at 11:#0pm last night to it would be ready for my trip. I checked this morning as everything was good until I checked closer to 90% charge and it was trickling at 2Kw and 7/40amp... it then stopped at 92% with charging complete. I lowered the charge % and then raised again and it tried for a minute or so at 2 kW and 10/40amp until it slowed down again, raised again, lowered and on and on for a few cycles and reach 92% with charging complete.
I called Tesla and they say they don't see any warning on their end. They suggested I "Power Off" via the settings screen and try again but other than that they don't see anyhting wrong. I did do and drove for a few miles and attempted to recharge and the same exact scenario occurred.
Do I have a major issue? Could one of the packs by down? When going from 8->92% it added 68kWh which would equate to approx 81kWh battery which is unfortunately close to inline with what a 90D should have.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

As always, thank you to the TMC crew for the help and advice!!!!

I’d be very curious to see what the battery managment system is saying under the hood....

Personally I would not keep trying to charge to 100% at least for this session. Let it get down low again and charge it back up.

If this issue persists through several driving/charging cycles than there may be an issue with the pack... but I suspect more than likely you just have a balancing/calibration issue on your hands that will sort it self out automatically.

Reactions: JohnnyG
What temperature is the battery sitting in?
I found the same issue but mine went to 94%. It was due to the cold as I had no problem hitting 100% on a supercharger after driving for awhile.
Or turn on the heat for 30 minutes while plugged in at 90% and then charge again.

Reactions: appleguru
Give it a day. Sometime it recalibrated from a large change. Your 92% might already be 100%. I have seen this happen on my 90d. It would stop charging around 92% at the supercharger. So I leave and regen would be non existent. By the next morning it was showing 97% which accounts for the charge to get bui one from the supercharging station.

Reactions: JohnnyG
... Or turn on the heat for 30 minutes while plugged in at 90% and then charge again.
Turning on the cabin heat won't do you any good. Turning on the cabin heater does not automatically turn on the battery heater. The BMS chooses this when to engage it. If the cells average temp is over ~50°F, the battery heater will not engage unless you are connected to a Level 3 charger.

If you have a PxxD, you can turn-on "Max Battery" which will engage the battery heater.

Turning on the cabin heat won't do you any good. Turning on the cabin heater does not automatically turn on the battery heater. The BMS chooses this when to engage it. If the cells average temp is over ~50°F, the battery heater will not engage unless you are connected to a Level 3 charger.

If you have a PxxD, you can turn-on "Max Battery" which will engage the battery heater.

Sure but if the average temp is over 50 then he wouldnt be having this issue if it's weather related like I initially said