Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max power from both 12V cigarette adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been answered. I've not been able to find it definitively yet for my 2016 MX P90DL. A similar topic for the Model S was disucssed here but not definitively answered:
It was not clear what max output from the two 12V cigarette adapters. Just one poster noted that he thinks there are two fuses (one for each cig accessory power).

So my understanding is that there is at least one, 15Amp (180Watt) physical fuse (i think they are electronic in MY) for the 12V cigarette power adapter, and likely nominal use shouldn't exceed the 10-12A area (120-140Watts). Does the accessory 12V cigarette power adapter go off the same fuse, or it's own (for a total max output of both at ~30Amps). I haven't been able to find a 2016MX fuse layout online yet (only some MS's, which may be the same...maybe not); I sent Tesla a query about it via the app...we shall see. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I also read this forum thread like three times now (I keep thinking I'll sit down and find the answer to this and fail :), and I'm pretty sure this guy/gal asks my question), but the answers all go on tangents about other ways to draw power, and start spamming other junk before that forum just shuts down (I think Tesla never liked moderating).

Thanks in advance. (any constructive criticisms on my posts are welcome too, as I'm kind of a novice poster)

Last edited:
understanding is that there is at least one, 15Amp (180Watt) physical fuse (i think they are electronic in MY) for the 12V cigarette powe
SOLVED: Tesla just called me back (I put in a service request with the above question), and confirmed after reviewing the wiring diagram that each 12V Cig adapter is on a separate circuit and has it's own 15A fuse. Mystery solved ;).

This should help if you want to have an inverter in the front and the back on long roadtrips and whatnot.

So, I'm late to the party, but the wires going to the cigarette lighter in my model S are pretty tiny. I'd be very nervous about pulling anywhere near that much current from them for a long period of time.

I'd consider maybe 5 (or a little more, maybe 7?) Amps to be a reasonable current to demand from that circuit for anything longer than 30 minutes.

Can you tell us how did your event go?