Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max power in KW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

What is the highest power (in KW) you ever registered with tools such as Powertools, Teslalog or similar?

I got a P85D (non-Ludicrous) and I've been getting usually no more than 380 KW for months now. It's pretty cold here (Switzerland), so this could explain the relatively low number.
But the highest figure I ever managed to get was 400 KW, and it was in summer, with very good conditions.

I know that I should not expect anything close to 520 KW, but my numbers seem significantly lower than the ones I read from time to time on the forum...

350 kW (469hp) is max power on P85D after loss from battery/inverter. So around 400 kW max drawn from the battery is not to far off.

I have seen above 400 kW on my P85D a few times. But now in the winter/spring the most I see for max discharge power when logging canbus is 380 kW.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for your replies.

@sorka : 415 KW for a non-L P85D looks very good! It's about 45 additional HP compared to my own "best score".
How can we explain such a difference?
On ICE cars, some people are ready to pay thousands of $ to get a chip which increases the power by 45hp... (the same for us when we opt for the Ludicrous upgrade, btw :)).

On ICE cars, some people are ready to pay thousands of $ to get a chip which increases the power by 45hp... (the same for us when we opt for the Ludicrous upgrade, btw :)).

Right - When viewed this way, the Ludicrous retrofit is a reasonable deal for those who are used to tuning performance cars with ECU upgrades and such. I think the other side of the coin is that some people view the retrofit as getting close to the level of performance they feel they were originally promised. When viewed that way, it's an annoying $5K to have to cough up. I fall in the former category - I'm happy with the upgrade and the price.

Great, thanks for your replies.

@sorka : 415 KW for a non-L P85D looks very good! It's about 45 additional HP compared to my own "best score".
How can we explain such a difference?

Huh? Are you saying the best you've seen is 419KW on Ludicrous????

Huh? Are you saying the best you've seen is 419KW on Ludicrous????

Sorry, I meant 20hp, not 45hp.
I was just saying that the best I've seen on my P85D is 400KW, which is 15KW (or 20hp) lower than the 415KW you mentioned (before upgrade). I would expect more or less the same values between 2 P85Ds...
I'm not jealous, just trying to understand... ;)

Sorry, I meant 20hp, not 45hp.
I was just saying that the best I've seen on my P85D is 400KW, which is 15KW (or 20hp) lower than the 415KW you mentioned (before upgrade). I would expect more or less the same values between 2 P85Ds...
I'm not jealous, just trying to understand... ;)

The most I've seen on my P85D is 408KW with MBP and 93% SOC. I live in Texas and when it's cold out, less than 35 degrees, max KW is between 385-390.

My WH/mi also goes to 420-460 when the outside air temperature is less then 35 degrees. My average is 330WH/mi. Loads of launches!

The most I've seen on my P85D is 408KW with MBP and 93% SOC. I live in Texas and when it's cold out, less than 35 degrees, max KW is between 385-390.

My WH/mi also goes to 420-460 when the outside air temperature is less then 35 degrees. My average is 330WH/mi. Loads of launches!

I and others have logged 415 KW at 90% with a warm battery i.e. either having just supercharged, having driven from 100% down to 90%, or using max battery which was the last option available for getting a battery up to temp.

P90DL Model X

I tried the emulation mode for the various battery variants today and this is what PowerTools reported at 63% SOC and no max battery.

Emulating a...:
60D 287kWh
75D 292kWh
90D 360kWh
P90D 424kWh

It looks like these results suggest the emulator does a decent job of reducing power output by the appropriate amounts to emulate the target vehicles.

P90DL Model X

I tried the emulation mode for the various battery variants today and this is what PowerTools reported at 63% SOC and no max battery.

Emulating a...:
60D 287kWh
75D 292kWh
90D 360kWh
P90D 424kWh

It looks like these results suggest the emulator does a decent job of reducing power output by the appropriate amounts to emulate the target vehicles.
On my P85D, it seemed like the setting had no impact no matter what I tried.

More data. Today 60F, 90% SOC, max batt but not warmed up at all, P90DL X 22", all times are 0-60. All data from PowerTools. About 400lbs in the car.

Valet Mode: 11.5s, 139kW
60D: 6.2s, 294kW
75D: 6.2s, 294kW
90D: 5.2s, 363kW
P90DL: 3.7s, 471kW

Valet Mode is still faster than a Prius.

• Funny
Reactions: Walta
Valet Mode is still faster than a Prius.

Why is it so much fun to bust on a Prius? My theory is - there are so many out there, that they have the highest percentage of type of car on the road. So more likely to be the car in front of you, in the left hand lane, driving 55 in a 65. I try to always launch by them so fast as to try and spin them around. Nothing personal of course....