TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Max Power Output

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by GB112233, Jun 11, 2018.

1. GB112233

GB112233 New Member

I am looking at adding solar+2 powerwalls. One question I have is, what happens if you exceed the output of the powerwall. I don't want to turn on a light switch that causes a brown out, because I exceed the max. output of the walls. Is there any mechansim built in to the powerwall, or is it on the user to not overdraw the system?

Also, is wifi acceptable, or does the system really need a wired ethernet connection?

Thanks.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I cant answer the brownout question, I assume you are referring to the case of what happens in a power outage. I believe they wire it up to not exceed the PW capacity, but I haven't really tested that.

As far as connectivity, they prefer hardwire over anything. They will set you up with a powerline adapter if you don't have ethernet in lieu of wifi. I am running the powerline adapter and it's been fine.

3. GB112233

GB112233 New Member

Yes I am referring to off grid. I assume if Grid is up, and you need more supply, it comes from battery+grid.

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

#4 Az_Rael, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Gotcha. I have only done the testing power outage when they were setting it up. I noticed the lights flickered a bit, but that was all. The installers did not come in and tell me to turn stuff off first, so I think it is pretty seamless. (Maybe too seamless - in a real outage, I would probably want to turn off stuff to make the batteries last longer, but right now I won't even know the grid is down)

Edit: actually, I know the PWs can run my whole house without issues, because they don't pull from the grid even when my AC is running and we have laundry going etc. My two EVs are the only thing that can draw enough to exceed their capacity.

Each PW can do 7kW peak and 5kW continuous. Two doubles that. So very few things will cause your home to be drawing 10kW continuous to exceed their draw. My AC pulls about 4.5kW when it's starting up.

5. GB112233

GB112233 New Member

I think it would be hard for me to exceed as well, but I'd hate to fry a fridge or computer on an assumption that could be engineered in as a pre-caution.

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Member

As I understand it, the installers will never wire up a system that can brown-out in normal usage. Either all your circuits fit within the power-envelope, or they move circuits that can't be backed-up away from the backup panel.

As for when the batteries run out, that's a different case.

7. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

You'll blow a fuse if you go too high in usage.