Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some logging as well:

Max Power: 492kW
SoC: 90%
Ludicrous: ON
Max Battery: ON/READY
A/C: OFF
Battery: 1071394-00-A
Firmware: 2.22.50
VIN: 128739
Build Date: February 2016

Additionally, I logged with max Battery off and got 472kW @ 92% SoC

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Does anyone know if those power rating are motor output, battery output or inverter input ratings?
I'd say its either battery output, or inverter input, which should be almost identical.

Also interesting to see that with MAX Battery off, there seems to be more power available.

I've updated and made a simpler chart in an attempt to show the current differences between 2015 P90D and 2016 P90D:

TeslaPwr22b.jpg

The big difference you can see is how much Max Batt Pwr ON improves the 2016 P90D which has the new battery pack. Previously Max Batt Pwr ON was mostly just a warm-up of the battery. Almost the same performance could be achieved with the Max Batt Pwr OFF and battery at temperature from driving. While I think that recent software allows Max Batt Pwr ON to enable a little extra power beyond simple temp in the 2015 P90D, it is insignificant compared to the big jump it enables with 2016 P90D.

Hopefully we can collect more data from the 2016 P90D to fill out the chart.

• Informative
I've updated and made a simpler chart in an attempt to show the current differences between 2015 P90D and 2016 P90D:

TeslaPwr22b.jpg

The big difference you can see is how much Max Batt Pwr ON improves the 2016 P90D which has the new battery pack. Previously Max Batt Pwr ON was mostly just a warm-up of the battery. Almost the same performance could be achieved with the Max Batt Pwr OFF and battery at temperature from driving. While I think that recent software allows Max Batt Pwr ON to enable a little extra power beyond simple temp in the 2015 P90D, it is insignificant compared to the big jump it enables with 2016 P90D.

Hopefully we can collect more data from the 2016 P90D to fill out the chart.
Awesome graph!

Reactions: Old Man Mike
another data point. Car and Driver, presumably staffed with people experienced doing instrumented testing of car performance, report in the testing notes on their P90DL that highest performance (2.8 0-60 and 11.1 1/4) requires > 95% SOC and performance tapers as the battery drains.

upload_2016-6-24_5-31-43.png

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2015-tesla-model-s-p90d2015-tesla-model-s-p90d-february-2016.pdf

That and especially the chart in this thread makes pretty clear that the report (I know of only one) of better performance at lower SOCs must have been due to other causes (e.g., tire slippage during the higher SOC runs)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Your new graph shows results in the 510 range, while the old graph had top results in the 495-500 range. New data or graphing error?

I've been posting updates in the thread that Bhzmark mentioned above since it is the most active for now. Actually it is good that all the discussion is taken place there since so many want to go back and forth on the whole Tesla HP/Drag Strip performance truth issue. I still plan to keep this thread updated once the data points begin to converge but here is the latest:

TeslaPwr24.jpg

As you can see, there is not enough data for the 2016 Max Batt Pwr OFF to give a reasonable curve fit. Eventually we'll get enough to show what is happening. There is little doubt that new battery packs in the later 2016 models are performing well above the previous Ludicrous mode. It is about the same as the difference between Insane and Ludicrous. Curious that Tesla has not said anything about it yet.

I've been posting updates in the thread that Bhzmark mentioned above since it is the most active for now. Actually it is good that all the discussion is taken place there since so many want to go back and forth on the whole Tesla HP/Drag Strip performance truth issue. I still plan to keep this thread updated once the data points begin to converge but here is the latest:

TeslaPwr24.jpg

As you can see, there is not enough data for the 2016 Max Batt Pwr OFF to give a reasonable curve fit. Eventually we'll get enough to show what is happening. There is little doubt that new battery packs in the later 2016 models are performing well above the previous Ludicrous mode. It is about the same as the difference between Insane and Ludicrous. Curious that Tesla has not said anything about it yet.
Same thing in the non P version of that battery. More capacity (about 8-10 more rated miles) but radio silence from Tesla other than attributing it to the new nose which doesn't make sense because we were seeing this increased capacity 2 or 3 months before the refresh. I'm happy they are improving things, maybe they think it will piss off people who just missed it?

TeslaPwr24.jpg

70% SOC
Max Battery OFF
Max kw: 431

Ran it twice, on power tools, got the exact same power output.

70% SOC
Max Battery OFF
Max kw: 431

Ran it twice, on power tools, got the exact same power output.

Thanks Shotgun. I wonder if that was with a cold battery since 431 Kw at 70% SOC is very low and well below a normal P90D. Was that measurement done during a full throttle and no indicated slippage? Were you in Ludicrous mode? Also thanks for posting it in this thread since the other one is getting hard to extract new info among all the back and forth arguments.

26% SOC
Max Battery ON
Max KW 385

May 2016 P90DL, Face lift car, old battery.

Thanks. I've included your data point on the 2015 P90DL since you got the old battery. While I'm not happy that my Dec 2015 build has the old battery, I would be VERY unhappy with a old battery in a May 2016 P90DL.

Still looking for more data points from the new battery with Max Battery Power OFF.

I did call / email but got the response I was expecting i.e. nothing they can do. I'll wait for the P100D / Autopilot 2 to be announced and then place a new order, hopefully won't miss a big update by a week this time!

90% SOC
2015 Sept 30 delivery P90DL
Battery 1063792-00-A
Power Tools
Max Battery Ready
454kw
0-60 3 seconds

Since drag strip times consider 1 foot roll out - does that mean a Power tools 0-60 time would equate to less than 3 seconds?

90% SOC
2015 Sept 30 delivery P90DL
Battery 1063792-00-A
Power Tools
Max Battery Ready
454kw
0-60 3 seconds

Since drag strip times consider 1 foot roll out - does that mean a Power tools 0-60 time would equate to less than 3 seconds?

No.....but you should take into account rounding errors in Power Tools. If you want better accuracy, use something with a higher refresh rate than 4 times a sec.