Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ran a test at 99% SoC, max battery ready. Maximum power was 415kW on the nose...

Wow, looks like you had a cutback on a car that should not be tripping based on the little information available from Tesla. I recommend two things:

1) To keep the many expected comments out of my data collection thread, repost your info here: Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

2) Make an appointment with your service rep complaining that the Ludicrous mode is no longer working. I would not talk about any counters, etc. Just an expectation that this "failure" is covered under warranty. Everyone will be VERY interested in Tesla's response.

Wow, looks like you had a cutback on a car that should not be tripping based on the little information available from Tesla. I recommend two things:

1) To keep the many expected comments out of my data collection thread, repost your info here: Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

2) Make an appointment with your service rep complaining that the Ludicrous mode is no longer working. I would not talk about any counters, etc. Just an expectation that this "failure" is covered under warranty. Everyone will be VERY interested in Tesla's response.

1) Yep, already posted a summary there as someone else made the same suggestion. This is a great thread by the way!
2) Called them this evening, only the 'client advisor' was available, has no idea what is up and asks me to call service in the morning. I will make certain to share their response.

Out of curiosity, how many kW do performance models put out in "Sport" mode, and how does this compare to the non-performance versions like the 90D. I've been told, "It's the same performance" (P90D-Sport vs 90D).
I've looked for data points in Sport mode vs Performance and could only find a P85D in Insane mode vs Sport mode. In that case there was an increase of 0-60 from 3.2 sec to 4.0 sec. Almost all of the degradation for Sport mode was after the first second so it appears to still give some of that instant torque thrill. Here's the reference link:Tesla Model S P85D Insane vs Sport Mode 0-60 MPH Testing

A P85DL will not reach 480kW. 450kW will be about the max. As for getting 410kW at 88% with MBR, that is just what you would expect for Insane mode. Are you sure Ludicrous was enabled?

FYI I've achieved 456kW in a P85DL @ ~98%

and fwiw 386kW in sport mode @ ~96%

That's just max power recorded on power tools. The actual throttle response is also limited in sport mode -- in both the mid ranges and when floored. I think sport mode has a shallower curve applying the power which then is also capped at ~386.

Sport mode still beats just about anything around it. Powertools reported 4.5 second 0-60 in sport mode. It's probably about the same as the non-P 90D

I've looked for data points in Sport mode vs Performance and could only find a P85D in Insane mode vs Sport mode. In that case there was an increase of 0-60 from 3.2 sec to 4.0 sec. Almost all of the degradation for Sport mode was after the first second so it appears to still give some of that instant torque thrill. Here's the reference link:Tesla Model S P85D Insane vs Sport Mode 0-60 MPH Testing

I did some testing just to see how much lower my cars power could go before ludicrous might be slower then sport mode:rolleyes:... while my battery was restricted and got 380KW at 84% SOC in sport mode which seems to match up with bhzmarks reading...

Tested my 2016 P100D and the max Kw output at 100% with Ludicrous + and LM is 565Kw. Is that typical or on the low side? Also max Kw without LM for me is 545.
Now that my P90DL is a P100DL I’ve been recording data... I see the same behavior as you in ludicrous plus mode, with max battery Ready! Launch mode makes 577kW and non launch is 551KW at 85% SOC. Can’t wait to report what I get at 100% SOC

For those who know more than I.
I've got a MX P90D (No Luda) 2016. My max power output is 402kw, battery heated and 98%.
My 0-60 times are 4.4s with launch control.
Something must be wrong right?

Attachments

• 20180919_102110.jpg
    20180919_102110.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 85
Only way to get an accurate 0-60 is to use a Vbox or Draggy device. Anything else in my experience is off by up to 3-7 tenths. P90D w/o Luda is around 3.8. Other factors affecting your times can be tires, tire pressure, additional weight, and SOC. No performace is gained going over 93% SOC. Keep that in mind. Sweet spot is 87%-93%.

No performace is gained going over 93% SOC. Keep that in mind. Sweet spot is 87%-93%.

A) Higher SOC --> more power
B) Higher battery temp --> more power

I speculate that:
The advantage of A can be overcome by the advantage of B. That is a 93% super hot battery, just short of going into cooling mode, may yield more power than a ~99% SOC at merely "max power ready" temp battery. This gives the impression that there is no advantage above ~93% SOC (because it usually takes a few runs from 100% to get the really hot battery which by that time is ~93%).

Plus, just look at the chart - there are increases in power above 93 SOC

Only way to get an accurate 0-60 is to use a Vbox or Draggy device. Anything else in my experience is off by up to 3-7 tenths. P90D w/o Luda is around 3.8. Other factors affecting your times can be tires, tire pressure, additional weight, and SOC. No performace is gained going over 93% SOC. Keep that in mind. Sweet spot is 87%-93%.

I have a dozen vbox runs posted in this forum of 3.1 seconds from my p85d before the ludicrous upgrade and 2.85 seconds after.

3.8 seconds is sport mode.

Reactions: BrokerDon