Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max range of the model 3 poll

What do you think the max range will be with the battery upgrade on the Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand we know this (from Elon or other viable Tesla staff) :

- Base version is RWD
- Base version will have < 60kWh battery
- Base version will have At least 215 range

So.. based on those, a potential 80kWh battery, with AWD will definitely have more range than that MT claim, propably at least somewhere in the 290 miles region.

Personally hoping for a battery option to goes way past the 300miles mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Booga
There's of course a point of diminishing returns where carrying the extra weight of the battery simply hurts your day to day efficiency. Luckily Tesla's new cells have a higher energy density so you can get more energy per unit weight.

I understand we know this (from Elon or other viable Tesla staff) :

- Base version is RWD
- Base version will have < 60kWh battery
- Base version will have At least 215 range

So.. based on those, a potential 80kWh battery, with AWD will definitely have more range than that MT claim, propably at least somewhere in the 290 miles region.

Personally hoping for a battery option to goes way past the 300miles mark.
I agree with you. I would like to see them get past 300 miles of rated range. I wonder if they'll maybe offer 3 levels of range with this car or just stick to 2 (base and extended range). If they add another that brings the car to 275 or more, I may go for that. I just know that I don't want to spend $10k+ if that's what it takes to get the range upgrade.

There more and more I think about this the more important for them is to achieve 300 mile (rated range at least) for the biggest battery option.

• Competition is also promising "300 mile range cars" (granted, this is just hype at this point and promised launch is 2019 which is after Tesla giving them time to strike back, but still: Volvo's 300-mile electric car to challenge Tesla in 2019 )
  • Winter, especially cold in combination with ice and snow on road really takes its toll on the range, so having 300 mile rated range does give some confidence about the winter performance also
  • To break the mental images of BEVs not being "able to be driven by normal people" - granted, the ground work has been already laid out with the S and X, but in order to not have the separation of "well, if you want a BEV you still need to pay >$100k" but that you can have affordable BEV that can have "more than enough" range

Reactions: Booga
Any option that approaches 290 miles of range would be just fine. Back in 1974, I purchased a brand new Buick LaSabre off the showroom floor. It had a 455 cu. ICE and got about 11 mpg. The fuel tank took 25.9 gallons. Gasoline back then (before the Arab oil embargo) was only 34 cents/gallon. To be fair, salaries then were quite a bit less, but I was happy with the range.

There more and more I think about this the more important for them is to achieve 300 mile (rated range at least) for the biggest battery option.

• Competition is also promising "300 mile range cars" (granted, this is just hype at this point and promised launch is 2019 which is after Tesla giving them time to strike back, but still: Volvo's 300-mile electric car to challenge Tesla in 2019 )
  • Winter, especially cold in combination with ice and snow on road really takes its toll on the range, so having 300 mile rated range does give some confidence about the winter performance also
  • To break the mental images of BEVs not being "able to be driven by normal people" - granted, the ground work has been already laid out with the S and X, but in order to not have the separation of "well, if you want a BEV you still need to pay >$100k" but that you can have affordable BEV that can have "more than enough" range

The Model S already has a listed range of 294 miles for the 90D.

Any option that approaches 290 miles of range would be just fine. Back in 1974, I purchased a brand new Buick LaSabre off the showroom floor. It had a 455 cu. ICE and got about 11 mpg. The fuel tank took 25.9 gallons. Gasoline back then (before the Arab oil embargo) was only 34 cents/gallon. To be fair, salaries then were quite a bit less, but I was happy with the range.
Yep. I agree with you. Getting close to 300 is going to be just fine. The only difference I know that some people have to account for is charging time. Because I intend on charging at home, it's not an issue for me, but might be for others. Like any new technology, adoption takes a while and requires change, so this isn't a surprise.

In that sense, sure. I just got the feeling from the post that it was implied that "if you want that range, buy model S" as some have suggested. If that wasn't the intend, my bad for wrong interpretation.

I think the Model S has helped Tesla line up the Model 3 properly.

They've learned battery chemistry, aerodynamnics, thermal management, etc etc.

I think we'll get good numbers from the long-range Model 3. Remember, they're about to drop a 100kWh battery into the S, so it will still get more range than the Model 3.

I'll be perfectly fine if I can get 250+ real world miles. When we make our road trips, we tend to drive overnight, less traffic. So in many cases, we'll be close to "ideal" conditions.

I don't think Volvo's vehicle is going to compete with the Model 3, personally.

It's been claimed that it the BEV would be on the S60 model, which for me at least, is a competitor to model 3 just like Audi A4, BMW 3-series and so on.

Besides, I meant that one link as single example as I was too lazy to dig up all the announcements by different car companies how they will bring out 300 mile vehicles in the future. Tesla is currently leaps ahead of other companies and quite frankly, I would like it to stay that way.

The only difference I know that some people have to account for is charging time. Because I intend on charging at home, it's not an issue for me, but might be for others.

If I couldn't charge at home, it would probably be a deal breaker. For most, that will only happen if they are lucky enough to reliably charge everyday at work for several hours or in the evening at home in their garage. Even charging with 120v would be a deal breaker but a solution for some I suppose at less than 30 miles per charging hour.

With excess power from my home's solar, charging at home day or night is not an issue and will cost me nothing. I'm in the final month of my net metering period with Edison showing me a $1000 credit accumulated over the past 11 months, all of which I'll rollover to the next period. So it will be a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet for me. I'm even thinking about dual chargers and waiting to see what they'll be asking for it in the M3 - $1,500?

If the car couldn't be charged at home it would be a deal breaker for almost everyone.

If I couldn't charge at home, it would probably be a deal breaker. For most, that will only happen if they are lucky enough to reliably charge everyday at work for several hours or in the evening at home in their garage. Even charging with 120v would be a deal breaker but a solution for some I suppose at less than 30 miles per charging hour.

With excess power from my home's solar, charging at home day or night is not an issue and will cost me nothing. I'm in the final month of my net metering period with Edison showing me a $1000 credit accumulated over the past 11 months, all of which I'll rollover to the next period. So it will be a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet for me. I'm even thinking about dual chargers and waiting to see what they'll be asking for it in the M3 - $1,500?