Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got my home charger installed yesterday so I did a full charge overnight. I have a 2 week old, 2020 X performance with the 22's. Range on the website currently shows 272 miles but the charging stopped at 300 even with the slider set all the way to the right on trip. Not that I will ever realize that 300 in real world driving conditions anyway but I assumed it would stop at 272 since it knows my configuration and what rims I have. 300 miles seem like an odd number because the performance model is rated at 305 on the 20 inch rims. I included a screenshot to show. I drove it to work so I am no longer at 300 but you can see the max on the image.

What is everyone elses max charging range?

Update: I just read the thread on battery degradation so I guess I lost 5 miles to that in the first few weeks if I read it right. Assuming I started at 305..

Hank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200226-162454.png
    Screenshot_20200226-162454.png
    805.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
1 Month old 2020 X LR 20" wheels and winter tires.
At the moment, 100% SoC is 508km (317 Miles)
After the battery "settles" (they do that) during the next couple of months (I drive a lot every day), I expect a reduction of about 4% which is totally normal. So I'll be on 487ish Kilometers (304 miles) for the next couple of years, sloooowly dropping bit by bit, because after the initial "settling in period", degradation in Tesla's is extremely slow. Unless you ignore the following guide-lines:

Those numbers above are totally irrelevant as one does not charge to 100% unless absolutely necessary and one does NOT run a battery down to zero. Period.
Stick to 90% max. in day-to-day life (80 or 85% being better) and avoid going below 20% too often. One does not drive a gas-car to an empty tank either, not does one fill it up so much that fuel starts gushing out of the filler-hole. The same concepts apply to batteries (more or less).
As to the "why": there are so many posts and articles on why that is bad for your Battery life, no need to repeat all of that here.

Also, avoid charging at very high speeds often (Supercharging, CCS at high speed chargers etc.) as charging so fast put's an immense strain on a battery. They where not designed for that. All of this has been explained a thousand times, by both Tesla and many others. If you want to know the intimate details, there are plenty of sources to choose from.

To give some perspective: my mid-2014 Model S 85 had 402km when brand new. After a few months, that was down to roughly 380km. Settled in, it stayed like that for a long long time.
5.5 Years and 220'000km later, the battery was on 93% of it's original capacity. Because I listened to Tesla and treated the battery with care.

All of this is not specific to electric cars. The same happens in Laptops and Smartphones and Tablets. We generally just don't notice it as nobody measures how long it takes to charge them etc. analy.
Some people get obsessed with their car's battery. My advice as a 6 year Tesla veteran: Don't. Just drive the car and treat it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: gangzoom
1 Month old 2020 X LR 20" wheels and winter tires.
At the moment, 100% SoC is 508km (317 Miles)
After the battery "settles" (they do that) during the next couple of months (I drive a lot every day), I expect a reduction of about 4% which is totally normal. So I'll be on 487ish Kilometers (304 miles) for the next couple of years, sloooowly dropping bit by bit, because after the initial "settling in period", degradation in Tesla's is extremely slow. Unless you ignore the following guide-lines:

Those numbers above are totally irrelevant as one does not charge to 100% unless absolutely necessary and one does NOT run a battery down to zero. Period.
Stick to 90% max. in day-to-day life (80 or 85% being better) and avoid going below 20% too often. One does not drive a gas-car to an empty tank either, not does one fill it up so much that fuel starts gushing out of the filler-hole. The same concepts apply to batteries (more or less).
As to the "why": there are so many posts and articles on why that is bad for your Battery life, no need to repeat all of that here.

Also, avoid charging at very high speeds often (Supercharging, CCS at high speed chargers etc.) as charging so fast put's an immense strain on a battery. They where not designed for that. All of this has been explained a thousand times, by both Tesla and many others. If you want to know the intimate details, there are plenty of sources to choose from.

To give some perspective: my mid-2014 Model S 85 had 402km when brand new. After a few months, that was down to roughly 380km. Settled in, it stayed like that for a long long time.
5.5 Years and 220'000km later, the battery was on 93% of it's original capacity. Because I listened to Tesla and treated the battery with care.

All of this is not specific to electric cars. The same happens in Laptops and Smartphones and Tablets. We generally just don't notice it as nobody measures how long it takes to charge them etc. analy.
Some people get obsessed with their car's battery. My advice as a 6 year Tesla veteran: Don't. Just drive the car and treat it right.

My Model 3 after 1 year and 9K miles was 306 out of 310 (a little over 1%)
My Model X after 5 months and 5k miles is 324 out of 328 (a little over 1%)

Both based and true 100% charge, not and estimate. OP's image is an estimate and not actual full charge (they can be different).

My Model 3 after 1 year and 9K miles was 306 out of 310 (a little over 1%)
My Model X after 5 months and 5k miles is 324 out of 328 (a little over 1%)

Both based and true 100% charge, not and estimate. OP's image is an estimate and not actual full charge (they can be different).

Mine wasn't an estimate. It stopped at 300 and I had it set for 100% charge. I just didn't take a picture of it so all I had was the mobile app after I had driven to work. Either way I am only a few weeks in. Will wait 6 months and then try for 100% and see what happens. Right now I am just charging 90% daily.

Mine wasn't an estimate.

Yes it was. It was.
Everything you see in the car concerning range etc. is based on estimations. The car has a factory value for a specific voltage in the various cell-packs. From this is deducts how much range that would mean while driving according to a certain reference of "how a car is driven" and environmental aspects. This is what you see when you first get the car.

After that, the car will start to calculate the range every day, based on how you actually drive and what the current environmental situation is (especially temperatures).

In my case, at a certain time, I got X miles out of the car. This was during a time of lots of highway driving. Then, for a couple of days, I visited a customer in the countryside and during those days, my driving pattern was very different (much slower on average). After a couple of days, the "Miles in the battery at 90% SoC" went up and up. The car calculated that "if I keep driving this way, as I have done the past few days, the estimated range will be around Y miles".

If you drive in the rain for a week, you will see the range drop quite a bit because wet roads have a large impact on rolling-resistance. When the sun comes back to say hello and stays for a while, you will see the range indicator increase again after a few days as it start using the new consumption-pattern.

Even that X % State Of Charge (SoC) or "how full the battery is", is based on calculations (Voltage etc. etc) and are estimations. So it estimates range based on an estimation of the batteries capacity...

Tesla's are renowned for having pretty darn accurate calculations when it comes to estimating range (as long as driving patterns stay more or less the same). Other EV's like the old Leaf had a "guess-o-meter" which should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Long story short, it's aaaaalllllll estimates. If this does not convince you, I give up.

Last edited:
I was purely referencing your comment "OP's image is an estimate and not actual full charge (they can be different)." I left it overnight on a full charge and came back to 300. If mine was indeed an estimate then what is an actual full charge then? I get the fact that it will vary based on weather, driving style, etc. Coming from a car that gets 12 miles per gallon I am used to only getting 300 range on a tank/charge. Maybe I misunderstood your comment. Either way I am good. Thanks for the explanation on the variables that go into the range, much appreciated.

Congrats on the X. If it's any reassurance, we have the same model on 22s. This is my rated range on the app at 7k miles.

View attachment 515774

Thanks. I might be asking some pretty basic questions but just messing around with a new toy. It's been great driving by all the gas stations these last few weeks. I find it tough for me to think I will ever go back to an ICE again. Although I do miss the sound of a good muscle car.. I am sure I will get over it soon enough. :)

In my case, at a certain time, I got X miles out of the car. This was during a time of lots of highway driving. Then, for a couple of days, I visited a customer in the countryside and during those days, my driving pattern was very different (much slower on average). After a couple of days, the "Miles in the battery at 90% SoC" went up and up. The car calculated that "if I keep driving this way, as I have done the past few days, the estimated range will be around Y miles".
nothing like the calculations you state happen.

It's a straight "X remaining kW/h divided by rated Wh/mi".

Even that X % State Of Charge (SoC) or "how full the battery is", is based on calculations (Voltage etc. etc) and are estimations. So it estimates range based on an estimation of the batteries capacity...
this part is correct. The only non-estimated SoC state is if you charge to 100% and let it actually finish that charge.

But it's important to know that this is also sensitive to temperature, the colder it is the lower 100% SoC actual capacity seems.