Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max rebate from SCE at true-up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With two months to go until true-up, it looks like this will be my first year since 2015 being a net producer under current NEM rules. As I understand, this means I should be getting a check from SCE if my year-to-date energy charges are negative, correct? If so, just wondering how much people have actually received from SCE in the past. I have always ended the year with plenty of credit but have never been a net producer until now, so I always lost that unused credit. If I am not understanding the NEM rules correctly, would love some clarification as well. Thanks!

With two months to go until true-up, it looks like this will be my first year since 2015 being a net producer under current NEM rules. As I understand, this means I should be getting a check from SCE if my year-to-date energy charges are negative, correct? If so, just wondering how much people have actually received from SCE in the past. I have always ended the year with plenty of credit but have never been a net producer until now, so I always lost that unused credit. If I am not understanding the NEM rules correctly, would love some clarification as well. Thanks!

3 cents a kWh (not whatever your credit says it is at this point). I have mine set to roll over, because actually getting money for it is terrible. I used to be a net producer till I got 2 EVs. Now I end up owing about $200 on true up.

With two months to go until true-up, it looks like this will be my first year since 2015 being a net producer under current NEM rules. As I understand, this means I should be getting a check from SCE if my year-to-date energy charges are negative, correct?
You are a net producer only if you have sent more kWh to the grid than you pulled from the grid. Just having a negative year-to-date energy charge is not sufficient if you are on a TOU tariff such that the kWh you sent to the grid were priced higher than the kWh to pulled from the grid.

• Informative
Reactions: Redhill_qik
I am in month 10 of my first year with SCE. On my latest bill I see the following:

Additional information regarding your Net Consumption/Generation:
· Your year-to-date energy charges
total as of previous month: -$35.51
· Your current month energy charge
total: -$126.01
· Your year-to-date energy charges:
-$161.52
· Your year-to-date kWh: -701 kWh

So if I am to understand this correctly, I can either use $161.52 of electricity from the grid or get paid approximately three cents per kilowatt hour. I realize that the final numbers may be different At true-up. If this is the case, looks like I’ll be cranking the AC and trying to charge my car as much as I can at home. I’ll be damned if I give anything to SCE

I am in month 10 of my first year with SCE. On my latest bill I see the following:

-$161.52

So if I am to understand this correctly, I can either use $161.52 of electricity from the grid or get paid approximately three cents per kilowatt hour. I realize that the final numbers may be different At true-up. If this is the case, looks like I’ll be cranking the AC and trying to charge my car as much as I can at home. I’ll be damned if I give anything to SCE
I have been ending up at True up with like 3000 or so credit. I keep my house warm in the winter and cool in the summer to try and use as much as possible, but not luck. So yep, only get a few hundred bucks of credit, or if I can, have them send me a check.

Now, if I get my EV charging stuff in, I still would love to offer free charging to friends, why not

Pretty much what others have said. Last year my credit showed around $300 but I only got about $100. The $300 was the retail rate.

Also, you do not get a check. You get it as credit on your next few monthly bills until your balance once again becomes positive. I my case I didn't have a bill for about 4 months

Pretty much what others have said. Last year my credit showed around $300 but I only got about $100. The $300 was the retail rate.

Also, you do not get a check. You get it as credit on your next few monthly bills until your balance once again becomes positive. I my case I didn't have a bill for about 4 months
You can get a check if you call. I got one from PGE last year. Working on getting one from this year also. I have so much credit, my balance would never go positive

-$161.52

My numbers are very similar to these. If these were the final numbers at true-up, is this what would happen?

-Final credit = $21 (-701 kWh * $0.03) to be applied to next bill unless requested as a check.

Holy crap that is terrible.

Seems the best thing to do is aim for net zero kWh usage at true-up as others have mentioned. Might as well conserve the Powerwalls until the next cycle starts.

My numbers are very similar to these. If these were the final numbers at true-up, is this what would happen?

-Final credit = $21 (-701 kWh * $0.03) to be applied to next bill unless requested as a check.

Holy crap that is terrible.

Seems the best thing to do is aim for net zero kWh usage at true-up as others have mentioned. Might as well conserve the Powerwalls until the next cycle starts.
I believe this is the case. Completely agree! As it gets closer to True-Up, I should put my place on PlugShare! But it does suck that NBCs are applied to that banked power at just about the same rate! I’ll probably just stop charging at work so I can eat into my credits. I’ll be getting more EVs, so this shouldn’t be an issue for next year‘s True Up.

Didn't realize they had a check option. When I called they told me they only apply it as credit towards my bills.

How do you never get a positive bill? Taxes alone will give you a monthly bill
Since one time I paid more than I owed, I have always have a negative overall bill, even though I do pay the 10 bucks a month, it still nets negative.
I am over 300 bucks now

Reactions: skepticcyclist