Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max size tires for 21"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been dealt with a lot of times before, but I cannot seem to find real life confirmation on my ideas for tire choice.

I have the Turbine 21" alloys running staggered with 245/35-21 front and 275/35-21 rear - no probs and all is fine.

Now I am planning for new summer tires and I have always been a sucker for wide tires (with some rubber height as well).
This is more an aesthetic choice than a sensible choice.
I know all of the recommendation sizes - so this is much more a "will they fit" thread - I only need warnings if I am moving into a really bad territory saftety wise.

My idea is to go for:
255/40-21 Front (total 16.25mm/0.64" arch gap loss)
275/40-21 Rear (total 17.25mm/0.68" arch gap loss)

This will give me wider tires and more rubber-height.
Both are within a %5 margin in diameter and I expect a little rubbing in front with full turn of the wheels.

Is this possible to use even with the low suspension setting without rubbing?
(The front wheels will propably be rubbing with full turn).

My second alternative is to go for:
255/35-21
275-35-21
Which should fit just fine, but I like the idea of some more rubber - comfort wise.

Thank You for replies in advance :)

I have bought new tires; 255/35-21 and 275/35-21 and are experimenting with spacers.

Right now I use 20mm spacers front with little side rub at almost full turn - so I am going to change that.

Rear I am using 10mm spacers without any probs. I am going to test 25mm rear next week.

I really want the tires to fit better with the lines of the car.

I am going to test a front 265/35-20 and 295/40-20 rear at some time.

I am currently running on winter tyres with the current setup:
Spacers 20mm + Hankook Winter I*cept EVO3 W330 245/35 R21 96W XL, 3PMSF
Spacers 25mm + Hankook Winter I*cept EVO3 W330 275/35 R21 103W XL, FSL, 3PMSF
This works without any rubbing.

My summer setup is:
Spacers 20mm + Pirelli Pzero Sport 255/35 R21 98Y XL, MFS, NCS, MO-S
Spacers 25mm + Pirelli Pzero Sport 275/35 R21 103W XL, MFS, Tesla, NCS
This does rub on the front tyres and enough to not recommend this setup - and I want to change it.
I have been keeping an eye on the rub in front, but I can only see a small discolouration on a small area on the plastic wheel arch - it just sounds terrible when I reverse if I use full steer to the left or right.
If you can live with the noise (only on full steer to L/R) it does not seem to damage anything - I think it is just how the plastic resonance, which sounds loud.

Remember this is only about looks :)
And I think it looks much better with the spacers.

Reactions: Jpandes
This is with 20 mm spacers in front - but only with the 10 mm rear - I do not have a picture of the 25 mm rear.
Next time I wash the car, I will try to remember to take some new pics.

MyTesla.jpg

Is it the spacers making the front tire rub?

I'm looking to put:
-255/35/21
-275/35/21
On my staggered set of 21" turbines.

Can you help me determine if this tire setup will work with those wheels?
Also interested in spacers.. what size should we get based on your testing and experience so far?

Is it the spacers making the front tire rub?

I'm looking to put:
-255/35/21
-275/35/21
On my staggered set of 21" turbines.

Can you help me determine if this tire setup will work with those wheels?
Also interested in spacers.. what size should we get based on your testing and experience so far?

No, it is the wheel turning radius. I get rub without the spacers as well.

So it seems like 245/35-21 is the largest tires you can mount at front without rub.

With 245/35-21 and 20 mm spacers front and 275/35-21 and 25 mm spacers rear, you should be in the clear - I am.

That being said, I have experienced different widths with some tire brands... So you might get different results with different brands of tyres.
On my late BMW I experienced some Continental tires which were slightly narrower than Pirelli even though they both were 265 tyres (??)
But I have nothing to back that up now.

No, it is the wheel turning radius. I get rub without the spacers as well.

So it seems like 245/35-21 is the largest tires you can mount at front without rub.

With 245/35-21 and 20 mm spacers front and 275/35-21 and 25 mm spacers rear, you should be in the clear - I am.

That being said, I have experienced different widths with some tire brands... So you might get different results with different brands of tyres.
On my late BMW I experienced some Continental tires which were slightly narrower than Pirelli even though they both were 265 tyres (??)
But I have nothing to back that up now.
Gonna be testing
255/35/21
275/35/21

Staggered 21" Turbine wheels
P Zero summer tires
No spacers yet

Will update after install

This is with 20 mm spacers in front - but only with the 10 mm rear - I do not have a picture of the 25 mm rear.
Next time I wash the car, I will try to remember to take some new pics.

View attachment 777452
Thanks for the pictures and the detailed response - this is very helpful. I'm nearing time for replacement and seriously considering the 255 front 275 rear in Michelin something or other... I understand the concern for rubbing, and have that now with lowering links on stock tire size... so even now I have to remember to raise suspension when reversing to avoid the rubbing on the plastic fender liners. Wonder if the wider tires will make this unbearable or not but maybe worth the try because I can't live too much longer with "stretched" looking tires, lol. Appreciate everyone's responding on this thread so far.

Update for you guys:

Installed:
275/35/21
255/35/21
Pirelli P Zero acoustic summer tires
On staggered 21" Turbine wheels

There is minor rub at full turn radius in either direction. Can only hear the rub when in reverse tho..

Driven about 500 miles on this setup so far and has been good, I can tell these tires are not going to last long in the rear. I can do a launch and leave a 100ft tire mark haha.

However, this morning my traction control, emergency braking, and brake hold started flashing errors and are disabled still.
I assume this is has to be from the tires.

Car is parked at the moment, will see if they go away after several hours.

Not sure if I should schedule Tesla service or just try to downsize tires?

Update for you guys:

Installed:
275/35/21
255/35/21
Pirelli P Zero acoustic summer tires
On staggered 21" Turbine wheels

There is minor rub at full turn radius in either direction. Can only hear the rub when in reverse tho..

Driven about 500 miles on this setup so far and has been good, I can tell these tires are not going to last long in the rear. I can do a launch and leave a 100ft tire mark haha.

However, this morning my traction control, emergency braking, and brake hold started flashing errors and are disabled still.
I assume this is has to be from the tires.

Car is parked at the moment, will see if they go away after several hours.

Not sure if I should schedule Tesla service or just try to downsize tires?

Sounds very strange (?)

I have had no problems with my setup with 255/35-21 + 275/35-21 + spacers (besides the slight rubbing).
I only used the setup for a couple of moths though.

I am currently running on my winther setup (245/35-21 + 275/35-21 + spacers) because the temperature does go down close to zero in Denmark still.
But in about 3-4 weeks I will change to my summer setup again.

Just to make sure; you have changed the tire-setup in the control-panel in your Tesla?
Also check tire pressure.

Following up here…looking to put 255/35/21 Hankook EV tires up front on my staggered setup with the standard 265/35/21 in the rear.

2014 S85 with air - anybody still experiencing front rub with this tire size? If so, is it just the plastic fender liner or is it the wheel arch behind the wheel towards the driver?