Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max speed while using autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a new Model Y owner and I have noticed that when I use auto steer on city streets, sometimes it chooses a max speed at 5 mph over the speed limit and sometimes it uses my default setting which is 8 mph over the speed limit. I’ve noticed it using both on the exact same road in the exact same place, so I cannot seem to detect any pattern as to why it would select one or the other.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea why it is not consistent?

Here in Charlotte, at 5 mph over I will often have cars riding my rear bumper. I can deal with it, but it’s not ideal.

On divided highways/freeways the max speed is 80 (with Tesla Vision)
On undivided highways the max speed is 5 over the speed limit (both Radar+Vision, and Vision but not FSD Beta).

On city streets you're not supposed to use AP (unless you have FSD Beta). But, I imagine the non-beta limits the speed to +5mph over.

I do expect to see a lot of glitches as it the maps doesn't seem to be all that smart about what the speed limit is. Near where I live is a road that has a 30mph limit. Going one direction the car knows its 30mph, but going the other direction it thinks its 25mph. Its due to the signage where one direction has it, and the other doesn't.

I do expect to see a lot of glitches as it the maps doesn't seem to be all that smart about what the speed limit is. Near where I live is a road that has a 30mph limit. Going one direction the car knows its 30mph, but going the other direction it thinks its 25mph. Its due to the signage where one direction has it, and the other doesn't.
I have the same problem near me, which I've reported but haven't seen a fix yet. My residential neighborhood inlet is a 4-lane street with a 45MPH limit just before a traffic light. Go past the light and you're immediately in a housing tract, with the street name the same as the feeding street. About 8 houses down, the street curves to the left and re-names itself. The Tesla always enters the residential at 45MPH and stays there until the curve, when the street name changes, and then drops to 25MPH - even without speed limit signs. Only solutions I can think of are: 1) update the map to show it's entering a residential zone after the traffic light, even though the street name didn't change. 2) petition the city to place a 25MPH speed limit sign at the entry to the neighborhood, which the Telsa should read.

I hear you, but yesterday when I was coming back from the airport and was showing someone the car, I used the wheel on the steering wheel to increase the max speed to 83 MPH (on an interstate freeway where the speed limit was 70 MPH). The car went up to 82 on it's own, then I rolled the max speed back down to 79 and it slowed back down. I was pretty surprised I was able to select more than 10 over as the max speed.

And 5 MPH over was what I expected on city streets, but sometimes it does that and sometimes it will go 8 over. On the EXACT same stretch of road.

I may not be using nomenclature correctly, "AP," but two presses down on the stalk on city streets and it will steer and maintain distance to the car in front. I bought the FSD package, but I have not been granted FSD Beta. Is this considered AP?

On divided highways/freeways the max speed is 80 (with Tesla Vision)
On undivided highways the max speed is 5 over the speed limit (both Radar+Vision, and Vision but not FSD Beta).

On city streets you're not supposed to use AP (unless you have FSD Beta). But, I imagine the non-beta limits the speed to +5mph over.

Sorry, meant to quote this reply above...

I may not be using nomenclature correctly, "AP," but two presses down on the stalk on city streets and it will steer and maintain distance to the car in front. I bought the FSD package, but I have not been granted FSD Beta. Is this considered AP?

The car doesn't prevent you from engaging Autosteer on city streets, but it's not meant for use there. Most importantly, the car will not turn except to follow lane markers. FSD Beta, which you don't have, is designed for city streets.

Basic Autopilot currently includes only TACC (adaptive cruise control) and Autosteer, but no other driver assist features. Regular (non-Beta) FSD, which you have, adds Auto Lane Change, Summon, Autopark, Navigate on Autopilot, and maybe some other goodies I'm not thinking of, but is still not designed for city streets.

The car doesn't prevent you from engaging Autosteer on city streets, but it's not meant for use there. Most importantly, the car will not turn except to follow lane markers. FSD Beta, which you don't have, is designed for city streets.

Basic Autopilot currently includes only TACC (adaptive cruise control) and Autosteer, but no other driver assist features. Regular (non-Beta) FSD, which you have, adds Auto Lane Change, Summon, Autopark, Navigate on Autopilot, and maybe some other goodies I'm not thinking of, but is still not designed for city streets.
If it's not designed for city streets, then why does it have Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control? I realize that is a "Beta" feature, but it sure seems like it absolutely is intended for city streets.

I hear you, but yesterday when I was coming back from the airport and was showing someone the car, I used the wheel on the steering wheel to increase the max speed to 83 MPH (on an interstate freeway where the speed limit was 70 MPH). The car went up to 82 on it's own, then I rolled the max speed back down to 79 and it slowed back down. I was pretty surprised I was able to select more than 10 over as the max
If auto steer was engaged the max speed should have been 80; the thumb wheel will not go over that speed. If you just have TACC engaged then you can select a higher speed with the thumb whee
And 5 MPH over was what I expected on city streets, but sometimes it does that and sometimes it will go 8 over. On the EXACT same stretch of road.

You have the FSD package which is all the hardware and software to use 6 of the 7 promised features of FSD. The only one you don't have is navigate on city streets. Yes, you have AP. What you don't have is FSDbeta which allows testers to use all functions including navigate on city streets. Yes, two down on the stalk you are able to engage AP.

Sooo... some of you are saying that Tesla added this feature to recognize and react to stop lights and stop signs, be aware of crosswalks, pedestrians, and bikes, yet they only intended it to be used outside the city limits? No disrespect intended, but I am sure that is not the case.

Yes, Ciaopec, I've been reading the manual, but I can't find any explanation there. When all else fails, RTFM. 😂

I just took a drive. For part of the drive AP would only go 5 over. The speed limits there were 35, and 40. Then when I got onto a road where the speed limit was 45 it went to 8 over when I engaged AP.

Maybe on roads where the speed limit is 45 or more it can be more than 5 MPH over?

tempImage7srtLv.jpg

This is what is supposed to happen:​

Restricted Speed​

On a controlled-access highway, the cruising speed reflects the speed limit, taking into consideration any offset you've specified using Speed Assist. However, if you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed and the touchscreen displays a message indicating that speed is restricted. The restricted speed will be the speed limit of the road plus 5 mph (10 km/h).
In situations where the speed limit cannot be detected when Autosteer is engaged, Autosteer reduces your driving speed and limits the set cruising speed to 45 mph (70 km/h). Although you can manually accelerate to exceed the limited speed, Model Y may not brake for detected obstacles. Autosteer slows down to the limited speed when you release the accelerator pedal. When you leave the road, or disengage Autosteer by using the steering wheel, you can increase your set speed again, if desired.

Your results may vary;)

I’m a new Model Y owner and I have noticed that when I use auto steer on city streets, sometimes it chooses a max speed at 5 mph over the speed limit and sometimes it uses my default setting which is 8 mph over the speed limit. I’ve noticed it using both on the exact same road in the exact same place, so I cannot seem to detect any pattern as to why it would select one or the other.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea why it is not consistent?

Here in Charlotte, at 5 mph over I will often have cars riding my rear bumper. I can deal with it, but it’s not ideal.
In situations where the speed limit cannot be detected when Autosteer is engaged, Autosteer reduces your driving speed and limits the set cruising speed to 45 mph (70 km/h)....

I live in Charlotte as well. I have noticed this phenomenon on exactly one stretch of road. When going north on Providence Road from South Charlotte, the speed limit is 45 mph until you get to Sharon Amity. It then drops to 35 mph. While in AutoSteer, my car recognizes the lower speed limit but does not lower its speed to stay only 5 mph above the new lower limit.

The road is 4-lane (2 lanes each direction), and there is a wide grassy median between the directions of traffic. It's not limited access, however--there are cross streets and a driveways on this stretch of road.

@foscoe944 , By the picture you posted later, it looks like you are on one of the many grassy median roads around town, too.

I suspect the navigation is mistaking that stretch for road for a limited-access highway. (Coded incorrect, maybe?) As soon as the grassy median ends just north of Wendover Road, the car immediately slows down to 40 mph (5 above the 35 mph limit). I've only tested this once intentionally. I think I had noticed it twice before, and immediately dialed the speed down myself. The time I tested it, there was no other traffic, and I wanted to see how soon it would correct its speed, and it corrected at the point where you would have guessed--where the median ended.

(Most people say this about their own city, but Charlotte drivers are horrible. I think using AutoSteer on straight, flat, lined city streets does make me safer than the majority of drivers on the road around here, because it forces me to only go 5 mph over the limit. Otherwise, I would probably find myself keeping up with traffic and doing 15 mph over. For comparison, I used to live in Chicago and visited recently, and the drivers there are much safer, on average.)

Reactions: Ciaopec
(Most people say this about their own city, but Charlotte drivers are horrible. <SNIP> Otherwise, I would probably find myself keeping up with traffic and doing 15 mph over. For comparison, I used to live in Chicago and visited recently, and the drivers there are much safer, on average.)
Charlotte area must be bad. I, too, lived in Chicago and visit frequently. I'm not sure what your "safer than average" criteria includes but I rarely get a warm and fuzzy feeling from drivers around the Windy City. Tollway speed limits in and around the area are 55; I travel at 75 but cannot keep up with most other cars . o_O Don't get me started on North Ave and Downtown.;)
As I think about it, still better than Florida drivers!😂

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: vanjwilson

This is what is supposed to happen:​

Restricted Speed​

On a controlled-access highway, the cruising speed reflects the speed limit, taking into consideration any offset you've specified using Speed Assist. However, if you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed and the touchscreen displays a message indicating that speed is restricted. The restricted speed will be the speed limit of the road plus 5 mph (10 km/h).
In situations where the speed limit cannot be detected when Autosteer is engaged, Autosteer reduces your driving speed and limits the set cruising speed to 45 mph (70 km/h). Although you can manually accelerate to exceed the limited speed, Model Y may not brake for detected obstacles. Autosteer slows down to the limited speed when you release the accelerator pedal. When you leave the road, or disengage Autosteer by using the steering wheel, you can increase your set speed again, if desired.

Your results may vary;)
Where did you get this information? I haven't found an explanation like that in the manual.

I am starting to think there is some algorithm that determines what max speed is allowed. Last night on Rea Rd., going south just past Pineville Matthews Rd., it selected just 3 MPH over the speed limit. Earlier that day I had driven the very same road, same place exactly, but in daylight and it selected 5 MPH over.

tempImageLdR3bi.jpg

I live in Charlotte as well. I have noticed this phenomenon on exactly one stretch of road. When going north on Providence Road from South Charlotte, the speed limit is 45 mph until you get to Sharon Amity. It then drops to 35 mph. While in AutoSteer, my car recognizes the lower speed limit but does not lower its speed to stay only 5 mph above the new lower limit.

The road is 4-lane (2 lanes each direction), and there is a wide grassy median between the directions of traffic. It's not limited access, however--there are cross streets and a driveways on this stretch of road.

@foscoe944 , By the picture you posted later, it looks like you are on one of the many grassy median roads around town, too.

I suspect the navigation is mistaking that stretch for road for a limited-access highway. (Coded incorrect, maybe?) As soon as the grassy median ends just north of Wendover Road, the car immediately slows down to 40 mph (5 above the 35 mph limit). I've only tested this once intentionally. I think I had noticed it twice before, and immediately dialed the speed down myself. The time I tested it, there was no other traffic, and I wanted to see how soon it would correct its speed, and it corrected at the point where you would have guessed--where the median ended.

(Most people say this about their own city, but Charlotte drivers are horrible. I think using AutoSteer on straight, flat, lined city streets does make me safer than the majority of drivers on the road around here, because it forces me to only go 5 mph over the limit. Otherwise, I would probably find myself keeping up with traffic and doing 15 mph over. For comparison, I used to live in Chicago and visited recently, and the drivers there are much safer, on average.)
That's pretty weird what it does on Providence, I'll have to try that sometime. I was on Pineville-Matthews Rd. going west towards Rea Rd. in the first picture. I don't think it is mistaking it for limited access, it visualizes turn lanes just fine.

I wouldn't say Charlotte drivers are bad, but I would say there are lots of bad drivers in Charlotte. I actually think it's about the same all around the country wherever I have driven.

I am sure AP makes me a safer driver. I am more relaxed and I can pay more attention to what's going on around me since I don't have to use up bandwidth operating the vehicle.

Where did you get this information? I haven't found an explanation like that in the manual.

Model Y Owners Manual>Autopilot>Autosteer
I am starting to think there is some algorithm that determines what max speed is allowed. Last night on Rea Rd., going south just past Pineville Matthews Rd., it selected just 3 MPH over the speed limit. Earlier that day I had driven the very same road, same place exactly, but in daylight and it selected 5 MPH over.

View attachment 790277
Perhaps you engaged AP at 43mph? At this point did you try using the thumbwheel to set a higher speed? Also, in your car, select Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed and choose either Speed Limit or Current Speed. In the owners manual it talks about setting different speeds under "To use Traffic Aware Cruise Control.
Hope this helps.

Model Y Owners Manual>Autopilot>Autosteer

Perhaps you engaged AP at 43mph? At this point did you try using the thumbwheel to set a higher speed? Also, in your car, select Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed and choose either Speed Limit or Current Speed. In the owners manual it talks about setting different speeds under "To use Traffic Aware Cruise Control.
Hope this helps.
Yes, when I saw max 43 MPH the first thing I did was roll the wheel up to try to increase it. It would not.

Under the Controls I have it set to use speed limit and the offset at +8 MPH.

Thanks for that info in the manual, I see it now. I think this part is basically the answer:
"However, if you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed and the touchscreen displays a message indicating that speed is restricted. The restricted speed will be the speed limit of the road plus 5 mph (10 km/h)."

I am guessing something about the conditions and it being night time made the car choose only 3 MPH over in the instance above. As soon as I turned onto another road it let me go back to 5 MPH over.