Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Tire Tread Difference Between Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SomeJoe7777

Marginally-Known Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houston, TX
I cut a curb too sharp this morning and blew out one of my Michelin Pilot Super Sport 20"s. 3/4" hole in the sidewall, not fixable.

The tread on the other 3 tires is anywhere between 5.6 - 6.0 mm, they have about 6,500 miles on them. Does anyone know what is the recommended maximum difference between tread depths within a set of tires? A new Michelin PSS has about 7.9 mm of tread depth, which will make the difference between the new tire and the minimum depth on the old ones around 2.5 mm.

Can I get away with buying only one, or do I need to buy a minimum of two?

By the way, here's what the dash display looks like when you blow out a tire:

tesla-tirepressurelow.jpg

Well... with no mechanical linkage front/rear that shouldn't be a huge issues.

The issue is rotations per mile for each tire. With the differential working harder to make up the difference.

We'd need the outside diameter to determine Revolutions Per Mile. basically one tire will be rotating a hair slower. (the bigger one).

at 2mm... I can't imagine you'd have any issues.

Just left SvC, dropping off the car to swap 2 temps (passenger sidewall blows) with 2 new 21s. ~4800 miles on them and Tesla told me no need to replace the others. I think he said remaining two are ~6.6MM or 6.8MM vs ~8MM replacements. As soon as he said I needn't buy 4 tires, I sort of checked out on the details. :)

Thanks, gents. I think I'm going to just get one tire.

Also, the blown tire is covered by road hazard warranty, so I get reimbursed for the new one. TireRack.com already made an order for the replacement and shipped it out, and took the road hazard claim over the phone.