TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Max USB Drive Size?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by S3XY, Mar 24, 2018.

1. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

Does anyone know what the maximum size USB drive the Model 3 will recognize? If not, and knowing that it sounds a bit personal, how big is yours?

2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

so far my USB music not not working properly. I have a 32GB sandisk with MP3s copied from my iTunes library. Same USB stick works perfectly in the S90D. On the 3 it *does* show cover art but in gray and no music plays. Software version is 2018.4.9 700fb8. Hopefully we get some updates soon!!!

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

All the manual says is "Model 3 recognizes flash drives only." So I would hope just about any flash drive would work, just don't expect a HD to work.

4. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

#4 S3XY, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Now that I think about it my concern was from back when I had a camera that wouldn't recognize SDHC flash cards but with USB flash drives the limit will really come down to the largest drive they make at any given time. The only other variable is transfer speed and that really shouldn't matter for music files. The limiting factor is really how much memory the filesystem can address. So I guess I just answered my own question unless I'm missing something.

5. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

So, let me ask a different question: can anybody successfully play music from a USB drive on their TM3? ... or is it just me w problems.....

6. MP3Mike

I don't think I have seen anyone test on the Model 3, but on the Model S people have problems with "large" collections. (>10,000 tracks)

7. MP3Mike

What format of music are you trying to play? (People have reported that the Model 3 can't play AAC files from iTunes.)

8. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

#8 S3XY, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    I've also heard it needs to be a FAT32 partition but that could be a temporary limitation subject to an OTA update. Although FAT32 is limited to 32 GB so I would think NTFS or ext3 or 4 would be supported.

Edit: Sorry, make that a 2 TB partition limit for FAT32. That seems like enough space for almost anyone's collection of music. At least what they would want to carry around in their car. Assuming an average of 3 minutes per song I get the following:

FILE TYPE ... # OF SONGS
    wav ............... 67,000
    flac .............. 130,000
    mp3 (320) ... 278,000
    mp3 (192) ... 462,000

9. MP3Mike

Yep the manual says: "Note: Media Player supports USB flash drives with FAT32 formatting (NTFS and exFAT are not currently supported)."

So it does say "not currently".

10. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

I just verified that a sandisk usb with MP3 files, which plays perfectly on my S90D, always shows “loading error” on the Model 3. The song icons do show but in gray with “loading error” displayed.

Come on Tesla... push some new(er) versions and start clearing up some of these problems. Oh yeah, I’d like to have WiFi enabled too please!

11. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

What filesystem is it formatted with?

12. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

FAT32. Works on Model S. Clearly the 3 can read the drive;all the albums show up but they are in gray and when I try to play one, it does show (again in gray) all the track names. But nothing will play.

Sounds more fundamental a bug than reading the file system.

I have 2018.4.9 firmware.

13. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

Strange. Others have said they can play music from theirs it just doesn't give them many options and it doesn't remember the last song played.

14. mremillard

mremillard Member

I'm using a 128 gb USB stick formatted FAT32 (search for "Samsung 128gb USB 3.0 flash drive fit" on Amazon, should be about $36), about 2/3 full of .FLAC files, around 1,000 songs, and it works great on both the X and 3. Even the 24bit 96kHz files play, no problem.

Edit: Tesla version 2018.4.9

15. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I have no problem with MP3 files, just AAC files.

• Like x 1
  16. siai47

siai47 Member

loading error on any AAC files. All my MP3 files play fine. No AAC? no Car Play?---someone doesn't like Apple.

17. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

Yes, also .m4a files won't play. So at least the media player DOES work it just has indigestion with anything but .mp3 music at the moment. That is with 2018.10.5

.... but with the new smooth autopilot I can wait on better music support. HAPPY.

18. MP3Mike

I think it plays FLAC files as well as MP3s...

19. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Slightly tangent, but if the USB only works from the front ports and you guys seem to want to leave the USB plugged in, do you just not charge 2 phones?

20. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

Since the front USB ports only put out 1A I'm using the 12V outlet with a USB adapter for charging. I've also ordered the parts for a wireless charging DIY.

• Like x 1