Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max USB Drive Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so far my USB music not not working properly. I have a 32GB sandisk with MP3s copied from my iTunes library. Same USB stick works perfectly in the S90D. On the 3 it *does* show cover art but in gray and no music plays. Software version is 2018.4.9 700fb8. Hopefully we get some updates soon!!!

Now that I think about it my concern was from back when I had a camera that wouldn't recognize SDHC flash cards but with USB flash drives the limit will really come down to the largest drive they make at any given time. The only other variable is transfer speed and that really shouldn't matter for music files. The limiting factor is really how much memory the filesystem can address. So I guess I just answered my own question unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:
I've also heard it needs to be a FAT32 partition but that could be a temporary limitation subject to an OTA update. Although FAT32 is limited to 32 GB so I would think NTFS or ext3 or 4 would be supported.

Edit: Sorry, make that a 2 TB partition limit for FAT32. That seems like enough space for almost anyone's collection of music. At least what they would want to carry around in their car. Assuming an average of 3 minutes per song I get the following:

FILE TYPE ... # OF SONGS
wav ............... 67,000
flac .............. 130,000
mp3 (320) ... 278,000
mp3 (192) ... 462,000

Last edited:
I just verified that a sandisk usb with MP3 files, which plays perfectly on my S90D, always shows “loading error” on the Model 3. The song icons do show but in gray with “loading error” displayed.

Come on Tesla... push some new(er) versions and start clearing up some of these problems. Oh yeah, I’d like to have WiFi enabled too please!

I just verified that a sandisk usb with MP3 files, which plays perfectly on my S90D, always shows “loading error” on the Model 3. The song icons do show but in gray with “loading error” displayed.

Come on Tesla... push some new(er) versions and start clearing up some of these problems. Oh yeah, I’d like to have WiFi enabled too please!
What filesystem is it formatted with?

FAT32. Works on Model S. Clearly the 3 can read the drive;all the albums show up but they are in gray and when I try to play one, it does show (again in gray) all the track names. But nothing will play.

Sounds more fundamental a bug than reading the file system.

I have 2018.4.9 firmware.
Strange. Others have said they can play music from theirs it just doesn't give them many options and it doesn't remember the last song played.

I'm using a 128 gb USB stick formatted FAT32 (search for "Samsung 128gb USB 3.0 flash drive fit" on Amazon, should be about $36), about 2/3 full of .FLAC files, around 1,000 songs, and it works great on both the X and 3. Even the 24bit 96kHz files play, no problem.

Edit: Tesla version 2018.4.9