Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max volume on startup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes when I get in my car and turn the stereo on, instead of playing at the volume I previously was listening at it starts off at max volume. It’s quite shocking when it happens. It doesn’t happen every time though so I’m having a hard time troubleshooting it. The problem seems to have started when I updated to 2020.48.35.5.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Sometimes when I get in my car and turn the stereo on, instead of playing at the volume I previously was listening at it starts off at max volume. It’s quite shocking when it happens. It doesn’t happen every time though so I’m having a hard time troubleshooting it. The problem seems to have started when I updated to 2020.48.35.5.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Same thing just happened to me for the first time today.

Reactions: Blue Magoo
I'm pretty sure this is a bluetooth absolute volume issue. If you own an iOS phone you are screwed because Apple doesn't allow it to be disabled. If you own an Android phone just go into developer settings and disable absolute volume.

Personally, I hate absolute volume. It is supposed to simplify volume control but it always caused me far more headaches than it solved. I prefer having the phone's bluetooth volume independent from the bluetooth device. With it OFF your phone remembers the last volume it was set to for each individual device it connects to. For my cars that's always max output from the phone where I then control the volume I hear via the car's volume control. For headphones I prefer to have max volume on the headphones where I then control the volume I hear via the phone's volume.

Last edited:
My iPhone volume was set to low and it still happened so I don't think that is the issue. It doesn't happen every time though. It's just random.

But that's just it. Absolute volume is a bluetooth feature that attempts to sync the phone's bluetooth volume with that of the bluetooth device. It is a feature that takes control over the phone's bluetooth volume setting. It often leads to abnormalities with the resulting overall volume.

But that's just it. Absolute volume is a bluetooth feature that attempts to sync the phone's bluetooth volume with that of the bluetooth device. It is a feature that takes control over the phone's bluetooth volume setting. It often leads to abnormalities with the resulting overall volume.

Understood, but I’ve had the same phone and same Model 3 for two years without ever having this issue and it only started after the most recent Tesla software update.

Reactions: Blue Magoo
When I switch from a podcast from my iPhone 12 pro to terrestrial radio the radio is way too loud. Too bad there isn't some kind of volume constant in the car.

that sounds like your source podcast volume is too low. not much you can do about with the car. you might send a note to the podcast provider and tell them to normalize their volume.

My local TV station's weather report volume on their website is always way lower than everything else. Same problem. they need to normalize their volume.

I'm pretty sure this is a bluetooth absolute volume issue. If you own an iOS phone you are screwed because Apple doesn't allow it to be disabled. If you own an Android phone just go into developer settings and disable absolute volume.

Personally, I hate absolute volume. It is supposed to simplify volume control but it always caused me far more headaches than it solved. I prefer having the phone's bluetooth volume independent from the bluetooth device. With it OFF your phone remembers the last volume it was set to for each individual device it connects to. For my cars that's always max output from the phone where I then control the volume I hear via the car's volume control. For headphones I prefer to have max volume on the headphones where I then control the volume I hear via the phone's volume.
This is not an Apple issue. It's a Tesla issue. It all worked the same on Merceres but you could set a default "start up" volume in the car which it always was reverted to no matter the volume set on your phone. Worked like a charm for over 2 years without blowing your eardrums and speakers. So Tesla should get coders to add the option to limit startup volume in the car.

This is not an Apple issue. It's a Tesla issue. It all worked the same on Merceres but you could set a default "start up" volume in the car which it always was reverted to no matter the volume set on your phone. Worked like a charm for over 2 years without blowing your eardrums and speakers. So Tesla should get coders to add the option to limit startup volume in the car.
I found how controlling
For Apple devices, going to your iPhone setting > sound & haptics on Ringer and Alerts , turn ON change with Buttons
Now If your iPhone be on higher volume or low would be effective on Tesla .

Reactions: ukmy and Blue Magoo
So I discovered something interesting regarding the iPhone/Tesla volume issue. I'm driving and my wife's iPhone is connected to the stereo but she isn't playing any music. She gets a notification and it comes through VERY loudly over the stereo. I then turn the stereo volume way down via the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Minutes later she gets another notification and once again it comes through VERY loudly over the stereo. To test my theory of what is going on I ask her to set her iPhone's notification volume way down. She does so and I then send her a text to trigger the notification on her iPhone; this time it comes over the stereo at a much lower volume (relative to her notification volume setting on the phone). Do iPhone's really not allow the user to control the volumes for media, ringer, and notifications independently of one another?

It happens to me too. I found out it’s linked to my iPhone ringer volume. Regardless of the Bluetooth volume, if my ringer is set on high the Tesla (model y) picks up the ringer setting when you first get in to the car and jacks up the car volume all the way. This is ridiculous. It scares the crap out of you. My Audi and Ford don’t do this. They should be able to fix it with a simple software update.