Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this same alert on my 2013 Model S 60. I submitted for a service appointment but I was bumped until February! Wonder if I can call and get serviced sooner. Any idea what this might cost since I’m definitely way out of warranty??
I also have a Model S 60, 167k miles. The lates software came has reduced mine to 12% charge. The alert about Maximum Battery Level Reduced, cane on at 22% range left. This is the second time I have had this with the same battery. I am almost certain that this is software driven. I hope that they will uncap my baby soon. They are going to tell you that your battery needs to be replaced for $17,000

Anyone in this thread willing to get a bluetooth dongle and software for their phone such as scanmytesla or tm-spy, and cable?

Probing interest in obd2 cable group buy

I'm curious to know if everyone having this issue has a cell imbalance. Or prehaps if you know your SC or tech good enough to get the BMS data on your battery. As you can see my pack has around a .03-.04V imbalance. And I know of packs with more imbalance on older firmware that continues to charge.
upload_2020-1-22_6-10-58.png

Anyone in this thread willing to get a bluetooth dongle and software for their phone such as scanmytesla or tm-spy, and cable?

Probing interest in obd2 cable group buy

I'm curious to know if everyone having this issue has a cell imbalance. Or prehaps if you know your SC or tech good enough to get the BMS data on your battery. As you can see my pack has around a .03-.04V imbalance. And I know of packs with more imbalance on older firmware that continues to charge.
View attachment 503113
3.png
4.png

You have a .077V imbalance. Is yours a 85? And is Tesla saying you need a new battery? I cant recall your details, can you please repost?

I dont know for fact that imbalance is the issue, just trying to go off of what I have to work with. Maybe some of the battery experts in the forum can help shed some light.

Thanks.

You have a .077V imbalance. Is yours a 85? And is Tesla saying you need a new battery? I cant recall your details, can you please repost?

I dont know for fact that imbalance is the issue, just trying to go off of what I have to work with. Maybe some of the battery experts in the forum can help shed some light.

Thanks.
Yes I have a P85. Tesla says my battery is normal

You will get the exact same new battery meaning if you have 85 KW battery, Tesla will give you another brand new 85 KW battery if its under warranty. Please feel free to clarify with the SC technicians as well. Hope this helps
My apologies for the miscommunication. Yes, it is refurbished battery with an old outer case and battery built with all new cells.

I gave Tesla Rocklin SC my car on Jan 22nd, 2020 and they replaced my old HV battery with a refurbished 85 KW battery and were able to test it and fully supercharge it. I got the notification to pick up the car the next afternoon on Jan 23, 2020. The new refurbished battery with a full charge I see the rated range as 289 miles, which is higher than 255 miles when I bought the car brand new. So there is definitely some improvement in the battery and how the cells are structured. My model S P85 was built in March 2013 making is almost 7 years old with almost 100k miles on it, with the new battery it feels like a new car.

How do you know your replacement pack has "all new cells"?
Nearly 300 miles rated range in a nearly 7 year old P85 suggests all new cells. I wish I had gotten one of those instead of the 90kW pack I got with only 243. Not complaining and better than when I bought it used just under a year ago. But man...

I have a theory - those who bought their car new and have a battery warranty claim get the packs that go 270+ rated range. Those that bought used get refurb (or who knows, it could be just used) that gets better range than when they bought from Tesla. Save the better batteries for those who spent >$80,000 on their new car.

Does that stand up?

How do you know your replacement pack has "all new cells"?
Thats what I was told by the rep who helped me through the entire process. he said as mine is an old car, Tesla will give you an old casing which is compatible with your car but inside the case everything is new. Thats why the current rated range is 289 miles rather than 255 miles when I bought the car in 2013.

Nearly 300 miles rated range in a nearly 7 year old P85 suggests all new cells. I wish I had gotten one of those instead of the 90kW pack I got with only 243. Not complaining and better than when I bought it used just under a year ago. But man...

I have a theory - those who bought their car new and have a battery warranty claim get the packs that go 270+ rated range. Those that bought used get refurb (or who knows, it could be just used) that gets better range than when they bought from Tesla. Save the better batteries for those who spent >$80,000 on their new car.

Does that stand up?
@tpedwards, hahahaha you are funny. I think your 90 KW battery must have a better range than what I have (85 KW refurbished), Tesla doesn't unlock the entire battery to charge, as the time passes the some cells becomes dysfuctional it open the newer side of the battery with software updates. I don't think they discriminate who bought the car used or new. That's my theory

• Disagree
Reactions: DJRas and MP3Mike
@tpedwards, hahahaha you are funny. I think your 90 KW battery must have a better range than what I have (85 KW refurbished), Tesla doesn't unlock the entire battery to charge, as the time passes the some cells becomes dysfuctional it open the newer side of the battery with software updates. I don't think they discriminate who bought the car used or new. That's my theory

No, everything inside the pack is used as one system. They don't turn on/off an portion of cells/modules/bricks inside.

There are some packs, like 75kWh ones, that were delivered in "60" model cars, and those had their maximum charge % reduced from an actual 100% to match the capacity appropriate for the model. (They used to allow you to pay to unlock the additional capacity, but people have reported that that is no longer an option.)

Reactions: SmartElectric
My apologies for the miscommunication. Yes, it is refurbished battery with an old outer case and battery built with all new cells.

I gave Tesla Rocklin SC my car on Jan 22nd, 2020 and they replaced my old HV battery with a refurbished 85 KW battery and were able to test it and fully supercharge it. I got the notification to pick up the car the next afternoon on Jan 23, 2020. The new refurbished battery with a full charge I see the rated range as 289 miles, which is higher than 255 miles when I bought the car brand new. So there is definitely some improvement in the battery and how the cells are structured. My model S P85 was built in March 2013 making is almost 7 years old with almost 100k miles on it, with the new battery it feels like a new car.

LOL - my P85 was probably hanging out next to yours at Rocklin (in for the same issue). I am glad to hear the turnaround was so quick, hopefully mine is the same.

Reactions: andyotal