Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take it you are past the 125k mileage limit on the battery warranty.

Interesting that the price has gone up $6k in the last month as @marlonjm2k was quoted just over $11k to replace his recently failed 60kWh pack: What to do?!?!? 2013 Model S 60 Battery fail

Wonder if the price difference is the pack. The thread you reference, they replaced with an 60, but we know they also sometimes replace with a 75kW. Maybe those cost more.

Reactions: MP3Mike
What do you mean by no tech package? I'm pretty sure that the tech package was standard long before AP was even an option..
Incorrect. Early on, "Tech package" was how you ordered Autopilot back before there was an "Autopilot" option on the website. In fact on the early cars it was the cheapest Autopilor package you could buy. You might not have been around but what Tesla did was activate Autopilot automatically when Autopilot was "switched on" with v7 (I believe) in 2015 - and by then the hardware had been built into every car for nearly a year. People that opted for the should-have-been-standard $1500 Tech Package for navigation and fog lights etc woke up to a car that could suddenly steer by itself, and had a completely new IC display suddenly.

If you have been shopping for used Teslas you're probably aware of late 2014s having AP1 hardware, but people that bought Teslas at that time did not know it would be AP hardware yet. At first we thought it was for traffic aware cruise control (and Tesla added that in early 2015). They didn't announce Autopilot right away, so the Tech Package was how you knew an early AP1 car had AP1 enabled but Tesla can enable it on CPO cars without the tech package. But for almost a whole year, "Tech Package" was how you bought Autopilot. Keep an eye out for those cars if you're still shopping.

Just got a quote from the service center...$17k almost for a battery replacement!
If you're paying they have to give you all of the diagnostic data from your car. Get it, they won't give it out to anyone under warranty and waive "diagnostic fees" when asked because payment guarantees access to that data. This diagnostic data may prove immensely useful in the ongoing lawsuits and NHTSA investigations to get your money returned. So keep your receipts, you may get that money back after the batterygate investigation is all settled, which may take as much as a year - other manufacturers have had to refund repairs when they were later deemed recalls or settled in class actions - Porsche offered something similar for an entire generation of 911/Boxster engines.

I had the same error message displayed "maximum battery charging level reduced" on my Tesla Model S P85 (2013 model) on 01/03/2020 while charging at home. It has about 98K miles on it. I have scheduled a mobile appointment over the weekend and my local Tesla service center already contacted me and asked for more info which I provided. I still have 8 year unlimited miles warranty on the battery so thats a relief. The car won't charge more than 81 - 83 miles, normally I would charge it twice a week upto 80% gives me the rated range of 188 miles. After reading the responses here, it looks like the battery needs to replaced. Couple questions I have,
1) Does tesla gives me a new 85 KWh battery or a used battery?
2) Can I upgrade and get a 100 Kwh battery and pay the difference?
3) The warranty on the new or used battery I 'll get will another 8 years or the same warranty continues from the date of manufacture?

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_002627.jpg
    IMG_20200105_002627.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_20200105_002800.jpg
    IMG_20200105_002800.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 181
3) The warranty on the new or used battery I 'll get will another 8 years or the same warranty continues from the date of manufacture?

1. You normally get a remanufactured battery. It could be another 85 kWh or it could be a 90kWh depending on what they have available.
  2. Nobody has ever succeeded in that that I am aware of.
  3. The replacement pack is covered under the original warranty. (You don't get another 8 years.)

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
I had the same error message displayed "maximum battery charging level reduced" on my Tesla Model S P85 (2013 model) on 01/03/2020 while charging at home. It has about 98K miles on it. I have scheduled a mobile appointment over the weekend and my local Tesla service center already contacted me and asked for more info which I provided. I still have 8 year unlimited miles warranty on the battery so thats a relief. The car won't charge more than 81 - 83 miles, normally I would charge it twice a week upto 80% gives me the rated range of 188 miles. After reading the responses here, it looks like the battery needs to replaced. Couple questions I have,
1. I don’t know. I would have guessed refurb, but if they want to assure that this doesn’t happen again in the next 3.5 years it would have to be new (and improved).
2. Most likely not. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was actually a 100kWh or 90kWh pack simply because that is what they are making.
3. Not sure, but my assumption is 8 years from original date of manufacture or 1 year which ever is later.
My P85D was just about to roll over 100k miles.

I don’t get this message but mine stops at 98% and says charging complete despite it being set to max charge. (We have snow and cold so my normal 80% daily is using waaay more so I’ve been trying to max)

trying to decide if I want to call service or wait it out a little since it’s not drastically reduced.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
And another...

2014 P85+ 79000 miles
FW: 2019.40.2.3

I got the ‘Max bat charge level reduced’ message when I got in the car this morning. I didn't think much of it to start with as I thought perhaps it was a new warning about the reduced regen due to the cold weather.

I think the car was down to around 40 miles at the time. Drove 5 miles to work and plugged it in for the whole 8 hours I was there.

When I got in my car at the end of the day it had only charged to 87miles and the message is permanently there even after reboot.

Reported it via the app and booked an appointment at MK service center on the 11th of Feb but don't think I'll be able to last until then.

I can't even reach a service center with only 87miles range