Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I don’t know. I would have guessed refurb, but if they want to assure that this doesn’t happen again in the next 3.5 years it would have to be new (and improved).
2. Most likely not. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was actually a 100kWh or 90kWh pack simply because that is what they are making.
3. Not sure, but my assumption is 8 years from original date of manufacture or 1 year which ever is later.
My P85D was just about to roll over 100k miles.
Thank you!!

1. I don’t know. I would have guessed refurb, but if they want to assure that this doesn’t happen again in the next 3.5 years it would have to be new (and improved).
2. Most likely not. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was actually a 100kWh or 90kWh pack simply because that is what they are making.
3. Not sure, but my assumption is 8 years from original date of manufacture or 1 year which ever is later.
My P85D was just about to roll over 100k miles.

Update 01/07/2020
I got a call from Tesla Service Center in Rocklin CA (Sacramento area) and they have cancelled my mobile appointment and I will taking in the car on 01/22 and rep told me they have to take a look and run more diagnostic on the battery. I am really hoping if I can get the new 90 or 100 KW battery coz that will enhance my range as with the current 6 years old 85 KW battery I was getting about 180 miles of actual range (rated range was 240) on a single road trip losses are even more over days due to vampire drag.

Thanks again for responding to my post. I 'll keep you guys posted as the car gets fixed and what kind of battery I got and how it affected cars efficiency and performance. Thanks again.

And another...

2014 P85+ 79000 miles
FW: 2019.40.2.3

I got the ‘Max bat charge level reduced’ message when I got in the car this morning. I didn't think much of it to start with as I thought perhaps it was a new warning about the reduced regen due to the cold weather.

I think the car was down to around 40 miles at the time. Drove 5 miles to work and plugged it in for the whole 8 hours I was there.

When I got in my car at the end of the day it had only charged to 87miles and the message is permanently there even after reboot.

Reported it via the app and booked an appointment at MK service center on the 11th of Feb but don't think I'll be able to last until then.

I can't even reach a service center with only 87miles range
It's the same issue I am facing. Check with the local SC and request them if they can get the car towed or if they can reimburse you or your insurance for getting the car towed to SC

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I'm currently in this boat right now early '13 P85 received the following errors on mine. (see attached) Vehicle has 147,908k miles and firmware 2019.40.2.3. Prior to these last couple of updates I've noticed that my degradation was down to 227, then it suddenly dropped to 211mi on a full charge and just the last few days I've been supercharging a lot because of a family event and driving back and fourth, and then comes the morning where the car stopped charging at 42-45mi and then was able to get into the service center, it's leaning towards the battery, my warranty however states 8 years unlimited miles on the battery pack. Will try and update once i hear something back.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 245
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 169
I'm currently in this boat right now early '13 P85 received the following errors on mine. (see attached) Vehicle has 147,908k miles and firmware 2019.40.2.3. Prior to these last couple of updates I've noticed that my degradation was down to 227, then it suddenly dropped to 211mi on a full charge and just the last few days I've been supercharging a lot because of a family event and driving back and fourth, and then comes the morning where the car stopped charging at 42-45mi and then was able to get into the service center, it's leaning towards the battery, my warranty however states 8 years unlimited miles on the battery pack. Will try and update once i hear something back.

I bought a used 2015 85D in April of 2019 and was affected by battery and charge gate and I got Tesla to replace my battery. They installed a 90 pack and I also asked to have my car rebadged to a 90 which costed me 40 I think. Battery has not had issues and charges to around 274 miles estimated of course at 100%.

These batteries failing is very troubling to say the least I wonder if Tesla expected cars to last longer with the software update they did that caused the battery and charge gate. It sucks the battery failed but at least your getting them replaced under the 8 years.

Tesla needs to come clean on what caused this and how to avoid it in the future. Or maybe they know the 90 packs are newer and won’t have the issue either way it’s shady how they handled this.

Same happened to me this weekend with my P85+, 2014 (I'm living in Switzerland).
Message is persistent and I can't charge whether DC nor AC. Car responds with "Charging completed" instantaneously.
My wife will go and pay SeC a visit tomorrow... luckily it's located within bearable distance.

Car was @SeC. Replacement battery pack ordered in NL. ETA 2 weeks.

I bought a used 2015 85D in April of 2019 and was affected by battery and charge gate and I got Tesla to replace my battery. They installed a 90 pack and I also asked to have my car rebadged to a 90 which costed me 40 I think. Battery has not had issues and charges to around 274 miles estimated of course at 100%.

These batteries failing is very troubling to say the least I wonder if Tesla expected cars to last longer with the software update they did that caused the battery and charge gate. It sucks the battery failed but at least your getting them replaced under the 8 years.

Tesla needs to come clean on what caused this and how to avoid it in the future. Or maybe they know the 90 packs are newer and won’t have the issue either way it’s shady how they handled this.
Your 90 pack will definitely have this issue. My 2015 P90D charged to a range of 245 miles at 100%
And the supercharging was throttled to 92kw.

Your 90 pack will definitely have this issue. My 2015 P90D charged to a range of 245 miles at 100%
And the supercharging was throttled to 92kw.

interesting well we will see I guess with the new battery I was hopeful they would figure out the why so it could be avoided. Hoping they eventually replace the packs affected by the charge gate and battery gate.

Update :

Our virtual service technicians have reviewed your concern and have confirmed that there is an issue internal to the vehicles battery pack that is limiting your max charge level. As a result of this we will be replacing the battery pack at your appointment. The vehicle is safe to use until then. If you have any questions, please respond to this message.

Thank You, Tesla Service.

Well one month to last with 80miles range

I believe that 2019.40.2.3 has enabled my current path. Earlier updates implemented changes to limit charge rate and cap the max voltage charge limit. However, that was this summer. If someone at Tesla has been analyzing the effects of these changes and monitoring the performance/behavior. After 2019.40.2.3 was installed, then there was a rash of "Maximum battery charge level reduced" messages triggered. Perhaps someone inside Tesla set parameters - ok, if the battery sets these conditions, better to replace the battery. Thus, a bunch of us went from just being frustrated with our batteries circulating the drain to scheduling a transplant.

I believe that 2019.40.2.3 has enabled my current path. Earlier updates implemented changes to limit charge rate and cap the max voltage charge limit. However, that was this summer. If someone at Tesla has been analyzing the effects of these changes and monitoring the performance/behavior. After 2019.40.2.3 was installed, then there was a rash of "Maximum battery charge level reduced" messages triggered. Perhaps someone inside Tesla set parameters - ok, if the battery sets these conditions, better to replace the battery. Thus, a bunch of us went from just being frustrated with our batteries circulating the drain to scheduling a transplant.

Yes that is also my impression from reading the forum.
I still haven't installed the 2019.40.2.3 update and although i suffer from charge gate, the battery gate (capping) on my S85 has been mild so far.
I wonder if i should install the update when i can or just leave it as it is....

Depends - if you want to get your battery replaced sooner rather than later, go for it. This message, likely, is not part of your software base.

If you want to hold on to your battery longer - prevent this message from triggering - defer 2019.40.2.3 until later. The later you get the refurb, the longer the replacement may last.

Of course, if the replacement goes out the day after your car's 8th birthday... so don't wait too long.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Update 01/07/2020
I got a call from Tesla Service Center in Rocklin CA (Sacramento area) and they have cancelled my mobile appointment and I will taking in the car on 01/22 and rep told me they have to take a look and run more diagnostic on the battery. I am really hoping if I can get the new 90 or 100 KW battery coz that will enhance my range as with the current 6 years old 85 KW battery I was getting about 180 miles of actual range (rated range was 240) on a single road trip losses are even more over days due to vampire drag.

Thanks again for responding to my post. I 'll keep you guys posted as the car gets fixed and what kind of battery I got and how it affected cars efficiency and performance. Thanks again.

Update Jan 09, 2020
I emailed the SC regarding the HV battery upgrade from 85 to 90 or 100 KW battery and here is the technician response:

your vehicle is in need of HV battery replacement. I have looked into your question and accessed the Tesla battery upgrade page and found the following results-

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 40/60 kWh to 70 kWh (obsolete).

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 70 kWh to 75 kWh (Vehicles delivered after April 11, 2016).

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 40/60/70 kWh to 75 kWh (Vehicles delivered before April 11, 2016).

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 85 kWh to 90 kWh (obsolete).

Currently, the only upgrades possible are a 40,60, or 70 kwh battery to a 75 kwh. Upgrading an 85 kwh battery is no longer possible.

I have your new HV battery on order, thanks.

Update Jan 09, 2020
I emailed the SC regarding the HV battery upgrade from 85 to 90 or 100 KW battery and here is the technician response:

your vehicle is in need of HV battery replacement. I have looked into your question and accessed the Tesla battery upgrade page and found the following results-

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 40/60 kWh to 70 kWh (obsolete).

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 70 kWh to 75 kWh (Vehicles delivered after April 11, 2016).

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 40/60/70 kWh to 75 kWh (Vehicles delivered before April 11, 2016).

· BATTERY UPGRADE, 85 kWh to 90 kWh (obsolete).

Currently, the only upgrades possible are a 40,60, or 70 kwh battery to a 75 kwh. Upgrading an 85 kwh battery is no longer possible.

I have your new HV battery on order, thanks.

What? So they are going to stick a 70kw battery in in an 85???

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
So far the reports are that the battery has failed and needs to be replaced. That requires a trip to the service center.

I was in the service with the car today. The battery will be replaced with a new one, under Warranty. No one told me with what kWh of battery it will be replaced. Should I be aware of this? Waiting time for a new battery is 2 weeks.