Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery arrived at the Service Center and I got a text that they would start the replacement and it would be ready end of day Monday Jan. 13. By the end of the day today I noticed the car came out of service mode and I could query via the app (Tesla and Tesla Remote). It reported Rated Range of 243 miles extrapolated from 74% at 180 miles which is higher than its been since I’ve had it. When I looked a little closer at the Tesla app, confirmation that I now have a 90 kW pack and it is labeled a P90D.

I am not going to rebadge though. Leave it to be a little bit of a sleeper.

Attachments

• 61DFA436-F209-444D-B89D-106D5E52986D.png
    61DFA436-F209-444D-B89D-106D5E52986D.png
    1 MB · Views: 217
Last edited:
There absolutely was for a brief period and that car is definitely one of them given the advertised range of 288 miles.

Really I thought the Raven was only available with the 100 batteries. I don’t know what the range was before for a 75 battery as I have only owned performance models. I honestly feel like the stopped selling the 75 awhile ago. They were constantly changing *sugar* every other month at one point it seemed like for like 4 months. Couldn’t keep up with the constant changes it was so often and stupid.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
Battery arrived at the Service Center and I got a text that they would start the replacement and it would be ready end of day Monday Jan. 13. By the end of the day today I noticed the car came out of service mode and I could query via the app (Tesla and Tesla Remote). It reported Rated Range of 243 miles extrapolated from 74% at 180 miles which is higher than its been since I’ve had it. When I looked a little closer at the Tesla app, confirmation that I now have a 90 kW pack and it is labeled a P90D.

Nice congrats. Did you get a V3 90 battery. If you did I wonder if they limited it or let you have the full capabilities. When I almost got a 100 battery instead of a V3 90 they told me it would be limited and I tried to pay for them to just make it a 100 and they wouldn’t budge.
They ended getting a new V3 90 last minute so they were probably happy cuz I would have kept trying until they finally did it guaranteed. They would have hated me but it doesn’t make sense to put it in and not make money from it. I obviously wasn’t offering what they charged owners who had the option of switching to the 100 battery when they first came out. Which was $15k for any owner who wanted to that already ordered a 90 and hadn’t taken delivery. But I did offer like $10k.

Too bad cuz now I know someone who could have unlocked it if I did get it

What’s funny is that this basically just shows the 90 battery that was in the 2015-2016 P90D was most likely just an 85 battery. It makes no sense that those batteries had the same range and performance of the 85 batteries from 2015-2016. Than once the 2016.5 P90D came it it got 270 miles and was way faster. You should check your battery #.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
Click the link to buy a Standard Range Raven. Active suspension, AP3, the whole package and 288 miles from a 75kwh battery. That wasn't possible until Raven.

Here's pictures of the 75kwh raven battery sticker Pulled the trigger on an inventory 2019 Standard Range!

Yea I didn’t think the 75 was even close to still being sold when they came out with the Raven. Never knew anything about the 75 batteries so wouldn’t know what they got as far as range prior to the Raven. If I did I would have known just by the extra range

2019 Model S | Tesla

Standard Range Raven has 75kwh pack. They are not upgrading faulty packs to 100kwh, they will continue to make the 75kwh pack for quite some time just like they made 90kwh packs until as recently as the past year. And as long as they 75kwh pack is made it remains trivial to continue to make the 90pack. Doing so is much cheaper than upgrading everyone to 100kwh.

I don’t think they make any new packs besides the 100’s. I think they will put 100’s in cars once they run out of all the packs they can use. They will just limit them. I actually think it’s cheaper for them to just make one battery than have to make the 75 battery and every other one.
They will just limit the cars with the 100 batteries accordingly

I believe I have this update waiting for download. I'm going to wait to download, specially with stories of having to replace the replacement battery.

Glad to hear Tesla is actually replacing them for you guys.

Your range should be higher than 240 should be closer to 270+ it was on mine I currently get 275 at 100% on my replaced battery.

They just announced Elon got some huge bonus makes me wonder if greed was the reason to hold off on Tesla waiting to fixing this issue.

Your range should be higher than 240 should be closer to 270+ it was on mine I currently get 275 at 100% on my replaced battery.

They just announced Elon got some huge bonus makes me wonder if greed was the reason to hold off on Tesla waiting to fixing this issue.

Wow they gave you the real 90 packs that were only in the 2016.5 P90D. Congrats now I need to figure out how to get mine capped lol. Is this what they are doing for all the packs that were capped? If so that’s great finally Tesla does something above their standards rather than a low blow below the belt like they usually do

Wow they gave you the real 90 packs that were only in the 2016.5 P90D. Congrats now I need to figure out how to get mine capped lol. Is this what they are doing for all the packs that were capped? If so that’s great finally Tesla does something above their standards rather than a low blow below the belt like they usually do

They did a goodwill replacement because I had just bought my car used from Tesla and was affected by the capping. Not sure if hey are replacing all packs with a 90. It would be great if they did though.

Reactions: tyler2323
Really I thought the Raven was only available with the 100 batteries. I don’t know what the range was before for a 75 battery as I have only owned performance models. I honestly feel like the stopped selling the 75 awhile ago. They were constantly changing *sugar* every other month at one point it seemed like for like 4 months. Couldn’t keep up with the constant changes it was so often and stupid.

They were available as an orderable config for maybe a month or so? It wasn't very long. Although it seems they continued to make them as off-menu inventory cars for quite some time, as evidenced by the fact they're still popping up here and there.

They "stopped selling the 75" multiple times in the last year or so but they kept coming back, either officially or unofficially.

They did a goodwill replacement because I had just bought my car used from Tesla and was affected by the capping. Not sure if hey are replacing all packs with a 90. It would be great if they did though.

Do you know which one you got?

If you got 1088790-00-A or 1088792-00-A than you should notice a big increase in performance even without ludicrous.
They could last a really long time though without ludicrous. Like a couple hundred thousand miles.

• Informative
Reactions: lightningltd

I’m confused as why someone would disagree with your post here. Stupid. I had one and got it up too 277 miles at 100%SOC so if he thinks your making *sugar* up you’re definitely not. I know firsthand and will show it at 276 just so they know you’re not
B14280D1-4B94-4CB5-ACE1-478266C8BFA4.png

I don’t think they make any new packs besides the 100’s. I think they will put 100’s in cars once they run out of all the packs they can use. They will just limit them. I actually think it’s cheaper for them to just make one battery than have to make the 75 battery and every other one.
They will just limit the cars with the 100 batteries accordingly
Your keyboard to God's ear, brother

the 90 battery that was in the 2015-2016 P90D was most likely just an 85 battery.

The 90 and the 85 have always been identical batteries. The 75s and 60s are the same too, but with 2 fewer modules to decrease capacity. The differences are internal cell chemistry increasing the 90 to closer to an actual 85 kwh capacity (85 was actually 81) and on Ludicrous packs and newer Raven 75 packs the connectors are different. Tesla keeps making these because it's cheaper. So far they haven't upgraded anyone to a 100 pack that didn't have one originally but hackers have done it so we know they can. I don't think they will, it would be awesome to upgrade a 40kwh car to 100kwh in warranty but the company is in a profit making push so I doubt they will.

Last edited:
The 90 and the 85 have always been identical batteries.
Agree. just a chemistry/density difference.

The 75s and 60s are the same too, but with 2 fewer modules to decrease capacity.
I don’t think this is quite true. While the original 60 is indeed reduced to 14 modules vs. 16, the cell count of each module is lower - 384 vs. 476.

The 70kwh was the 14 module battery fully populated with cells, and the 75kwh is the upgraded chemistry/density version analogous to the 85/90 16 cell packs.

So far they haven't upgraded anyone to a 100 pack that didn't have one originally but hackers have done it so we know they can.
It’s unlikely they will given the pack weight differences. I think this is also why it’s quite unlikely Tesla will ever switch over to a “100 only” policy and software limit replacements of the smaller ones. Not gonna happen for a variety of reasons.