Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Not sure if they are replacing all packs with a 90...
Tesla likely has very few 85 batteries. I assumed they they used most of them in making the 16 module 75D BTX8 batteries. Sure they can make a few more when they refurbish returned packs, but mostly I expect to see 90s.
...If you got 1088790-00-A or 1088792-00-A than you should notice a big increase in performance even without ludicrous...
Anyone know if the max_torque setting changes when the battery swaps? Or only if the car is rebadged as a 90? How about max_power?

Last edited:
Tesla likely has very few 85 batteries. I assumed they they used most of them in making the 16 module 75D BTX8 batteries. Sure they can make a few more when they refurbish returned packs, but mostly I expect to see 90s.
Anyone know if the max_torque setting changes when the battery swaps? Or only if the car is rebadged as a 90? How about max_power?

I know if it had ludicrous it’s capable of over 500kw with those two batteries compared to around 450kw of P90DL’s from 2015-2016. There is one other battery in the 2016.5 P90DL that would get 490kw I had it in another P90DL I had. I would assume the kw without ludicrous are still over 460kw with those batteries. They all also have a range of 270 (2016.5) compared to 253 (2015-2016) of the P90D’s. One owner who had the swap now shows the P90D on his home screen so he can rebadge it and its a P90D now

If you ran a Carfax it wouldn’t matter cuz they usually all show several options of what your Tesla can be. My P90DL would so it being a P90D, P100D and another trim but I don’t remember which probably P85D, on the Carfax. I think they did these cuz you use to be able to buy a 100 battery and upgrade your car years ago

I’m confused as why someone would disagree with your post here. Stupid. I had one and got it up too 277 miles at 100%SOC so if he thinks your making *sugar* up you’re definitely not. I know firsthand and will show it at 276 just so they know you’re not
View attachment 498990
Do you know which one you got?

If you got 1088790-00-A or 1088792-00-A than you should notice a big increase in performance even without ludicrous.
They could last a really long time though without ludicrous. Like a couple hundred thousand miles.

not sure which battery I got guess I should look. Not worried about the disagree folks are entitled to their opinions I just appreciate a platform to share and learn.

and it’s good to hear you got your mileage up it’s a big improvement.

• Disagree
Reactions: 98ramair
2015 70D with 53k miles, bought used late 2018...got the ‘max battery charging level reduced’ alert 2 days ago, setup a service appt, have yet to hear back from Tesla..

Should mention this was tesla cpo so hopeful that it will be covered by warranty .. already had one door handle, 12v battery and MCU replaced under warranty

From the original date it was put into service.

Yes your car could be manufactured months before it was actually purchased and the 8 year warranty begins than not necessarily when it was manufactured. I actually had a Tesla that was almost a year old before it was actually sold. So all the warranties were started when the first owner bought the car. So instead of it being a 2015 P90DL it was basically a 2016 since they were identical but the warranties started months after the year 2016. Just like you can extend warranties on cars after 50k miles if they were purchased new with let’s say 6k miles.
I had another P90DL like this where I added an extended warranty at 55k miles and sold it and the warranty was good for 5 years and 50k miles because it hit the 55k miles 3 years in. When you extend the warranty it covers the car for the total 8 yrs just like the battery and motors.

Last edited:
Should mention this was tesla cpo so hopeful that it will be covered by warranty .. already had one door handle, 12v battery and MCU replaced under warranty

Sounds like the older batteries are failing after this update it’s troubling. Makes me wonder if Tesla knows which batteries are close to having issues. Also concerning because we rely on these cars and to hear about failures would make owners nervous to take a trip and be stuck. Glad it did not happen that way for you.

FYI the CPO used car plan ended about two years ago so they just call them used now.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cjminear
Sounds like the older batteries are failing after this update it’s troubling. Makes me wonder if Tesla knows which batteries are close to having issues.
This update explicitly mentioned enhanced high voltage battery diagnostics in the release notes. On the contrary, I find the fact that Tesla is proactively diagnosing and replacing failing batteries encouraging, not troubling.

Probably so but when your in a state like me in MN and it’s snowing and - 20 below it’s an entirely different ballgame if your battery fails and your stuck in the cold.
The point is, how is that different than any other failure? Things break. Cars don’t start. We can strive for reliability in all things, but we usually don’t get to choose when stuff goes south. Again, good thing Tesla is expanding diagnostics and informing owners of battery issues proactively, before full “stranded on the side of the road” failure. This is a good thing.

The point is, how is that different than any other failure? Things break. Cars don’t start. We can strive for reliability in all things, but we usually don’t get to choose when stuff goes south. Again, good thing Tesla is expanding diagnostics and informing owners of battery issues proactively, before full “stranded on the side of the road” failure. This is a good thing.
And... the failure mode has been drasticly reduced max charge rate, not full stop in the middle of the road. People have also observed very low charge rates. Stranded in a road is unlikely. Stranded at a remote Supercharger unable to charge enough to get to the next one is quite possible.

Your keyboard to God's ear, brother

The 90 and the 85 have always been identical batteries. The 75s and 60s are the same too, but with 2 fewer modules to decrease capacity. The differences are internal cell chemistry increasing the 90 to closer to an actual 85 kwh capacity (85 was actually 81) and on Ludicrous packs and newer Raven 75 packs the connectors are different. Tesla keeps making these because it's cheaper. So far they haven't upgraded anyone to a 100 pack that didn't have one originally but hackers have done it so we know they can. I don't think they will, it would be awesome to upgrade a 40kwh car to 100kwh in warranty but the company is in a profit making push so I doubt they will.
Your keyboard to God's ear, brother

The 90 and the 85 have always been identical batteries. The 75s and 60s are the same too, but with 2 fewer modules to decrease capacity. The differences are internal cell chemistry increasing the 90 to closer to an actual 85 kwh capacity (85 was actually 81) and on Ludicrous packs and newer Raven 75 packs the connectors are different. Tesla keeps making these because it's cheaper. So far they haven't upgraded anyone to a 100 pack that didn't have one originally but hackers have done it so we know they can. I don't think they will, it would be awesome to upgrade a 40kwh car to 100kwh in warranty but the company is in a profit making push so I doubt they will.

Actually they have given someone a 100 battery before, Tech_Guy was upgraded back when they did the shady launch limits.

Explain to me what the V3 90 batteries are cuz I think those were only the true 90 packs. It made no sense the drastic difference between them. Also during that time the X had the V3 batteries from the start while the S had the BS 90 packs/85

I need to read this entire thread. Anyone still having this issue, please contact me. I would like to work with you and see if we can find a solution or root cause. I purchased a car with this issue and intend to get to the bottom of this.

A really interesting thing is Tesla was able to charge the car to 100% after replacing the DU... Then the car failed to charge the next day.

S60 Battery issue Car Build

Last edited:
Actually they have given someone a 100 battery before, Tech_Guy was upgraded back when they did the shady launch limits.

Explain to me what the V3 90 batteries are cuz I think those were only the true 90 packs. It made no sense the drastic difference between them. Also during that time the X had the V3 batteries from the start while the S had the BS 90 packs/85
V3 90 packs are still 90 packs. Physically identical to 85 packs, but the v3 chemistry is much preferred to earlier V1 and V2 90packs because the earlier 90chemistry rapidly degraded and was infamous for being the first Tesla batteries to be supercharger throttled from not being able to handle high rates of charge. V3 wasn't as limited and doesn't degrade as quickly.

90and 85 packs have always been physically identical, as were 40/60/70/75/Standard. It wasn't until the 100 pack was designed that TEsla used a different modeul design and had to completely rearrange the physical layout of the battery packs. They only have the 2 different battery arrengements for teh S/X the rest is all chemistry differences (and dummy cells as mentioned earlier to reduce capacity more).

V3 90 packs are still 90 packs. Physically identical to 85 packs, but the v3 chemistry is much preferred to earlier V1 and V2 90packs because the earlier 90chemistry rapidly degraded and was infamous for being the first Tesla batteries to be supercharger throttled from not being able to handle high rates of charge. V3 wasn't as limited and doesn't degrade as quickly.

90and 85 packs have always been physically identical, as were 40/60/70/75/Standard. It wasn't until the 100 pack was designed that TEsla used a different modeul design and had to completely rearrange the physical layout of the battery packs. They only have the 2 different battery arrengements for teh S/X the rest is all chemistry differences (and dummy cells as mentioned earlier to reduce capacity more).

But why were 90 packs in the 2015-2016 only have a rated range of 253? Than the 2016.5 had 270. Meanwhile the Model X P90D never had any difference in range while during the same time the earlier P90D’s clearly had a different battery than the 2016.5 P90D and Model X. No P85D was ever capable of 270 miles, they actually had a rated range of 242 in the 2014 Model and 253 for the 2015-2016. Seems like they could not be the same battery as I always assumed Tesla just did their usually shady BS.
What really bothers me is how they list their used 2015-2016 P90D as being capable of 280 miles and 2.6 seconds. I can understand them lying about the 0-60mph time cause it’s not as easy to prove like the range is. Only you need to do is look at any window sticker which shows the rated range of 253. Yet they advertise them as 270 and I have seen post where most owners on here don’t even know and think the batteries have degraded a ton cuz they only get 249 miles of range on a full charge when in reality it has only lost a few miles but they think is based off 270.
Too me that’s as bad as it gets to blatantly lie when it’s something that they have listed on every window sticker yet they continue to falsely exaggerate both the range and performance without getting a bunch of *sugar* for it. It blows my mind, and is just a slap in the face to all the owners who purchase them especially when the employees are telling them that it’s normal degrading for their mileage etc to have lost over 20 miles or whatever it may be. I posted a picture of the window sticker and than of one of Tesla used P90D’s as I feel that there are way too many people unaware of this scammy maneuver

A2C4EE85-253A-4008-ADBE-F68D2BD6F86C.jpeg
CF7B5C03-6E0E-413C-8719-9F3790245B98.png

CA07662F-3A51-467B-B1C1-001FF7B05C2C.png

I personally think it’s the opposite as far as the batteries having a better chance of failing since the real 90 packs (2016.5) pull more amps, I believe it’s 1800 almost as much as the P100DL. Too me they are the ones with more potential issues if you have ludicrous, since I also owned one that had it battery replaced at 18k miles. Which is something I’ve noticed lately that most the used 2016.5 P90D’s do not have ludicrous anymore and the price has gone up since last year on top of the fact that they all had it a year ago. It baffles me that anyone would buy these for $30k less than a brand new Raven without ludicrous added on top of it. Your getting a Tesla almost 4 yrs older for $30k less without AP2-3 doesn’t matter, and a bunch of miles. I’m sorry if you can afford $72k you can spend another $30k to save yourself a ton of money later on guaranteed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85