Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably chemistry changes and torque sleep. Not all 90 packs are the same 90 pack. But all are the same 85 architecture.

What’s interesting is that Porsche has a 93 battery, which makes me wonder if that’s what the later V3 batteries are since they are basically as fast as most P100DL’s 0-60mph. I also think that the Taycan may be faster and if not it’s seems to be just as fast as the P100DL. That’s one thing I’m sure they did that Tesla never had until the Model 3 which is say it’s capable of less than what it really is. So owners are pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed like Tesla has made basically ever owner of a Performance Model S.
Plus the only reason they chose to under sale the Model 3 was strictly to keep everyone from from ditching the S for the 3 since everyone knew the batteries in the 3 were more advanced. Which was a huge mistake by releasing the 3 with those batteries before they did so in the S. I understand they had to build an entire new S in order to fit them but they should have. I guarantee they leave room now in every Model they build going forward for any improvements that may happen in the future. So that they can simply dump any better batteries they design from now on in the car too keep from making another costly mistake like they did.
It also funny how many times they have updated the performance capabilities in the 3 overtime, something I still believe they can increase even more than what it’s capable of now. The Model 3 has 85 batteries of the 2170 cells correct?

I just received the same warning two days ago on my S85 12/2013.
The new maximum range is now 137km, I can charge at home and on supercharger but it is very slow.
I requested an appointment with the Tesla Mobile Service for 27th of January.
My car has 219.000km and it is the original battery pack.

I think you should drop it off at the service center as soon as you can. Your maximum range can drop quickly if your car has this failure, and the 27th is in two weeks. They can replace your main li-ion battery with the updated improved version that should prevent this problem from occurring in the future.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I’ve noticed lately that most the used 2016.5 P90D’s do not have ludicrous anymore and the price has gone up since last year on top of the fact that they all had it a year ago. It baffles me that anyone would buy these for $30k less than a brand new Raven without ludicrous added on top of it. Your getting a Tesla almost 4 yrs older for $30k less without AP2-3 doesn’t matter, and a bunch of miles. I’m sorry if you can afford $72k you can spend another $30k to save yourself a ton of money later on guaranteed.

+1 ! Have been on the lookout for used P90DL and Tesla has far less choice with the "L" now, mostly just the P90D.

A used P90D will have strong punch until highway speeds, a new Raven will have reasonable punch.
Raven will be a totally better car in every other dimension, ie, charging speed, lower noise and vibration via better suspension, modern tech.
If you're spending >$80K Canadian for a car, the Raven Long Range wins over , even if the initial cost is 30% higher.

For those who just want the low end punch, the P90D is the way to go, and at a discount.

2015 70D with 53k miles, bought used late 2018...got the ‘max battery charging level reduced’ alert 2 days ago, setup a service appt, have yet to hear back from Tesla..
We got our 70D sep. '15
In aug. '17 we just returned from holiday - driving 1700km directly home - and send the car to 2year/80.000km check before general warranty ended. They kept the car for 1 week to get the battery replaced. The battery I got - I was told - had better cooling then the original. I newer got an explanation what was wrong - we did not see/feel anything strang on the trip home. I wonder if they could see cell imbalance or other error at that time.
But still - with a newer 70 battery - I still have a shitty charging curve after 2019.20.x upgrade....

+1 ! Have been on the lookout for used P90DL and Tesla has far less choice with the "L" now, mostly just the P90D.

A used P90D will have strong punch until highway speeds, a new Raven will have reasonable punch.
Raven will be a totally better car in every other dimension, ie, charging speed, lower noise and vibration via better suspension, modern tech.
If you're spending >$80K Canadian for a car, the Raven Long Range wins over , even if the initial cost is 30% higher.

For those who just want the low end punch, the P90D is the way to go, and at a discount.

Yes this is exactly correct and it wasn’t like that before but the ones before weren’t usually manufactured from August and beyond, which might be due to it being too powerful which was the reason they did the limited launches before and would lower the performance after 25 launches.
I was actually referring to the Raven performance, when I said without ludicrous on top of it I was referring that most the P90D’s don’t have ludicrous on top of their higher price and are only $30k less than a New Raven Performance depending on the options you choose. I already know that the P90D’s without ludicrous will put up 0-30mph times comparable to the performance Raven as I have owned the fastest P90DL and P85D and my P85D puts up comparable numbers to P100DL’s 0-30mph. My P90DL was just as fast as most P100DL’s as it was capable of doing 2.80 0-60 and 2.6 0-60 1ft and even had some times that were 2.5 0-60 1ft. It just cannot keep up in the 1/4 mile. Since most of the inventory now are P90D’s that have been manufactured after August the likelihood of getting the best V3 battery is very high. That was the one I had (1088792-00-A) and would consistently do 2.6 sec 0-60 1ft. However it will lose a lot of kw over time but even than when it was getting around 495 kw (520 kw was the highest it ever got too once) it was still capable of 2.6. The fact that my P85D is capable of 0-60 in 2.99-3.05 0-60 1ft means the P90D’s should be able to do 2.8 seconds. Since my P85D would drop significantly after 30 mph. I assume the P90D’s would be able to carry their times further managing 2.8-2.9 consistently with either one of the 1088 V3 batteries. But having the added ludicrous gives you almost the same performance if not better than many P100DL’s 0-60mph and even performance Ravens. However there are a few Ravens that have put up some remarkable times lately. One recently just did 2.59/2.41 0-60 and 10.59 in the 1/4 mile. I have not seen any P90DL break the 11 second 1/4 mile but some got close with around 11.04. For me the 1/4 is irrelevant since I’m not going to tracks or anything so just having the acceleration be almost the same as all P100DL’s was more than satisfying especially since most owners got duped with the capabilities of many performance models.
I’m going to get a Raven performance however I’m a little concerned with some issues that seem very similar to the plus suspension issues, seem to be occurring with the new adaptive suspension in the Raven. My P85D has plus suspension which is the second one I’ve owned with it, and I absolutely prefer it over my regular air suspension in the P90DL that seemed to dampen out rather quickly over a short time especially since I like to lower my car (makes it bottom out too easily). So I hope it isn’t an issue since many P85D’s after x amount of miles had to have theirs replaced with the regular air suspension since they stopped making the parts. I believe one of the main culprits was owners doing launch /hard accelerations with the suspension not adjusted to low so it isn’t an issue for me since I already lower mine a lot.
If you do get a P90DL a little advice I would give would be to not even use launch mode (or just a few times) since most my best times in either my P85D and P90DL came without the need of launch mode. And I’m pretty sure every time I took my car into Tesla it would lose around 5kw, literally every time and I had to go there at least 3-4 times within 6k miles for an assortment of things mostly minor (besides my rear drive unit being replaced 3x in under 20k miles.)I do not think it was coincidence, however I drove that car extremely hard to say the least. It was by far the best bang for the buck especially during that time when everyone was so quick to not purchase any Tesla without AP2 lol

Brand new 85kwh capacity packs being made now from 100 pack architecture. This is interesting because it is a 350v pack instead of 400v

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This is new. This is equivalent to 90 packs in actual kwh capacity (a little more actually?) but still labeled 85kwh (accurately for once), with dummy modules in a 100kwh arrangement. To my knowledge this is completely new, I have only heard of it this one time but it makes sense for Tesla going forward.

I don't know if the 350v 85kwh packs will be used for Ludicrous 85/90pack replacements (power probably isn't there) but the 75D already runs teh same performance profile as a P85 so newer 350v packs should be able to provide enough amps to replace earlier RWD performance cars.

Last edited:
Is this normal?
Arrived at SC with 33% warm battery.
2017, S75D, MCU1 AP2.0
Ramped up to 80 kw then down to 77 kw then 69kw 5 minutes later.
20200114_091926.jpg

Is this normal?
Arrived at SC with 33% warm battery.
2017, S75D, MCU1 AP2.0
Ramped up to 80 kw then down to 77 kw then 69kw 5 minutes later.View attachment 499980

It depends what the supercharger is capable of. They all vary so if you have experience using those specific Superchargers would help you know if it’s dropped. Idk all the exact kw that the Superchargers can be but know some are 72kw or 120kw etc. If you click on the supercharger on your navigation screen it will tell you what the kw it’s capable of giving

Not sure if I should be elated that part 1069582-01-E is, indeed, a 90kWh pack; or deflated that it is not a v3.

Anyone know if part 1069582-01-E was a part used in P90D's (non-L)?

Beggars can't be choosers. I know I have longer range than I had mid-year and likely comparable to when I bought the car in March of last year. I will see once I have run through a charge cycle.

From what I can see, no that isn't a V3 pack. That was a PN original put in pre-refresh 90kWh cars.

For P90DL packs this is what I have in my notes:
1063792-00-A: V1
1071394-00-A: V2
1088792-00-A: V3

The other V3 is 1088790-00-A. The version 2 you have listed is the battery in the facelift S correct? If not there is another V2/V3 that starts with 107 cuz I had it in another 2016.5 P90DL that was a May manufacture date. It’s capable of around 490 kw and of course 270 miles. I can’t remember what the battery # was tho.
The battery 1088790-00-A was mainly in the Model X P90D. I had it as my first battery but it was originally a P90D that had ludicrous added after delivery. I’ve seen it in another S without ludicrous that actually had a June manufacture date. There are threads on here when they were caught limiting performance after 25 launches and several owners would post their packs and kw after updates to compare. I can’t remember who setup the charts of them all but it was extremely informative. It would show both the S and X cars with their kw, battery #’s and manufacture dates

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric