Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, not easy to find. Been in the Tesla community 3 years and just ran across it this week..I will use the excuse I never thought to check because I have FUSC.

Go to your Tesla account, log in..

Select history

You will see all your SuC activity since you bought the car, regardless of whether you have FUSC or not.

In December 2018, in halcyon days when I could not imagine the 'gates, I added 47 KwH, 27 to 87 % SoC in 45ish min, no less, per Teslafi.

So doing the math, that should be about 47/0.60=78.3KwH.

Leaning over the shoulder of a mobile tech recently, I saw ToolBox shows my EPA consumption is 290Wh. Yes, I got a pic of that.

So, 78.3/0.290=270RM. This agrees with my display and Teslafi at the time to within a mile or so.

To document the SoC, take a pic each time you charge,if you think you pack is dodgy.

Hope this is useful.
Oh WOW! well, I dont see all my data, just since April 2019, I had my car before then...

Thanks everyone for sharing about your experiences with this issue. I just received the error today on my 2014 P85+ w/ 63k miles. I scheduled a mobile service appointment for 3/19 and hope Tesla decides to replace with the 90kwh battery like they have for some others. I've had this car just over a year after purchasing used from Tesla and have never got the range that it was rated at. Hoping this might fix that too so I could take it on a road trip.

I had contacted Tesla about the airbag and memory recalls and they said I would be contacted but should make sure my software was on 2020.48.12 or newer but mine was showing 2020.24.6.11 and I don't remember getting an update for quite some time. To force the software update they told me to reboot the screen by holding down the scroll buttons and powering off the car through safety and security menu. After restarting the car with the brake is when the "Maximum Battery Charge Level Reduced" error began to display.

Current battery part number 1014114-00-D
They replaced my battery with this part number: 1088815-01-E 85kWh, 400VDC

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: oaito and alloverx
I had the Maximum charging level reduced alert last Saturday (Mar 27) (2018 S, 13770 miles) Got an appointment at the Raleigh Service Center. The alert has disappeared. Should I keep or cancel the appointment?
Keep it and hope they will give you a new batt with increased charging speed and range. Document any way you can the range and charging speed. If you have any apps or aftermarket equipment disconnect it and don't tell them.

Should be a history of alerts on the MCU. Take a pic so they can't claim it never happened.

If it works out, Lucky You...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Keep it and hope they will give you a new batt with increased charging speed and range. Document any way you can the range and charging speed. If you have any apps or aftermarket equipment disconnect it and don't tell them.

Should be a history of alerts on the MCU. Take a pic so they can't claim it never happened.

If it works out, Lucky You...
I will post what happens.

Wanted to add my own battery failure as a data point as I'm not seeing examples of my particular battery pack failing. I have a 16 facelift S 90D with the 1088790-00-A pack and about 73k miles. On Monday I got in the car to go home from the office and got the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message. It had about 70 miles of range left by the time I got home and would not charge at all. It's at the SC now and I just got an email last night saying they have the remanufactured 1102980-01-A pack on order.

Wanted to add my own battery failure as a data point as I'm not seeing examples of my particular battery pack failing. I have a 16 facelift S 90D with the 1088790-00-A pack and about 73k miles. On Monday I got in the car to go home from the office and got the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message. It had about 70 miles of range left by the time I got home and would not charge at all. It's at the SC now and I just got an email last night saying they have the remanufactured 1102980-01-A pack on order.

What was the range of your failed pack?

Also, please keep us informed what the range of your new reman would be. Thanks.

Reactions: aerodyne
What was the range of your failed pack?

Also, please keep us informed what the range of your new reman would be. Thanks.
I bought the car with about 53k miles on it. I have never charged it to 100% but the estimated indicated full range was 265 when I first got it and 260 right before it failed at 73k. Once I got the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message, the max range indicated showed 175, but of course when I plugged it in, it just said Charge Complete and didn't actually charge.

I will definitely update once they get the new pack installed. I'm planning to check the range and also the supercharging rates. I've only supercharged a handful of times when I went on a few road trips, but I believe it used to get up in the 120's.

I bought the car with about 53k miles on it. I have never charged it to 100% but the estimated indicated full range was 265 when I first got it and 260 right before it failed at 73k. Once I got the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message, the max range indicated showed 175, but of course when I plugged it in, it just said Charge Complete and didn't actually charge.

I will definitely update once they get the new pack installed. I'm planning to check the range and also the supercharging rates. I've only supercharged a handful of times when I went on a few road trips, but I believe it used to get up in the 120's.

260 miles of range for a 2016 facelift S 90D with 73k miles is pretty good. If that indeed was your range they need to either match that range or exceed it with the remanufactured 1102980-01-A pack you are getting. Hope for a new 1014116-00-B 350VDC pack discussed in various threads :)

Last edited:
260 miles of range for a 2016 facelift S 90D with 73k miles is pretty good. If that indeed was your range they need to either match that range or exceed it with the remanufactured 1102980-01-A pack you are getting. Hope for a new 1014116-00-B 350VDC pack discussed in various threads :)

@escparticle - Make sure you have this pdf handy. Even though the URL has model 3 in it, the document, as its cover page indicates, applies to:
MODEL S
MODEL X
MODEL 3

Under battery warranty section:
"... when replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred while taking into consideration other factors, including the age and mileage of the vehicle."

Last edited:
"... when replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred while taking into consideration other factors, including the age and mileage of the vehicle."

Thanks. But this pretty much says Tesla doesn't have to provide equal to, because of the language that says "taking into consideration" and "before the failure occurred". So not the original capacity of the battery, only what is reasonable based on a number of factors.

• Helpful
Reactions: JRP3
Thanks. But this pretty much says Tesla doesn't have to provide equal to, because of the language that says "taking into consideration" and "before the failure occurred". So not the original capacity of the battery, only what is reasonable based on a number of factors.
Does seem like they have a bit of an out with the "other factors" language. I definitely plan to check on the capacity and charging rate as I mentioned and will bring it up with them if either are lacking. Either way, I'll post an update here.

Does seem like they have a bit of an out with the "other factors" language. I definitely plan to check on the capacity and charging rate as I mentioned and will bring it up with them if either are lacking. Either way, I'll post an update here.
Most importantly, I’d determine if the “other factors” language was present in the warranty language in effect when the car was sold. I bet you it wasn’t.

The warranty in effect when the car was sold is the one that matters. All of Tesla’s anti-consumer language added at a later date isn’t relevant.

Reactions: aerodyne
I just got my car back today and the new battery is a 1102980-01-A which is a 90kwh 400VDC like I had before. Good news for me is that the estimated full charge miles is now 279, so I seem to have lucked out. They did charge it up for me, so I won't be able to test the supercharging speeds for a bit but I'm guessing speeds should be pretty good given what I'm seeing so far. I did ask what the failure was on the original pack, and they did not give me any specifics. Took exactly 8 days to get the car back, and they did the eMMC recall while it was in there, so all around not too bad of an experience for me.