Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my car today from SC. SC replaced it with refurbished one. Based on my app, I am getting about 300miles Max. About 30miles increase. 100D gave me 330miles when it was new. Hope this battery will give me another 100k miles.
I hope far more than 100k miles. They have been working on the million mile main battery, so may be some of those improvements are there for you. At least 500k miles would be much better.

I got this message on my leased 2021 M3 driving to the service center now. My battery is taking way longer to charge and it’s making me nervous. Already had 8/23 appointment scheduled but don’t feel like I can wait
Sorry to see that but yes, you should drop it off at the service center immediately. It should be covered under warranty. They can give you a free rental Tesla too.

Also I think you should ask what caused this error and if they can use your case for research and prevention / reduction of the problem in the future (for every Tesla).

I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla, and informed them that I received the "maximum battery charge level reduced" message.

They quoted me a 12V battery replacement. Are they misdiagnosing the issue or do they have a way to know that my vehicle is only affected by the 12V?

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.05.05 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: Veggen
I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla, and informed them that I received the "maximum battery charge level reduced" message.

They quoted me a 12V battery replacement. Are they misdiagnosing the issue or do they have a way to know that my vehicle is only affected by the 12V?

View attachment 857496
I would guess that they misdiagnosed your problem.

Just curious, when was the last time the 12v battery was replaced? I think the typical lifespan for a 12v battery in a Tesla is only 3-5 years.

Last edited:
I would guess that they misdiagnosed your problem, but when was the last time the 12v battery was replaced? I think the typical lifespan for a 12v battery in a Tesla is only 3-5 years.
Would a bad 12V battery trigger this message? And reduce the range and charge level?
I haven't come across a bad 12V battery triggering this message, or that someone replaced the 12V and the issue was fixed.

Would a bad 12V battery trigger this message? And reduce the range and charge level?
I haven't come across a bad 12V battery triggering this message, or that someone replaced the 12V and the issue was fixed.

It's possible you have two issues, HV and 12V and that they have diagnosed the 12V and have stopped there. Can you ask Tesla about what about the HV battery?

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
After reminding them that the 12V was replaced in August, they removed the line item. Now, it's just the HV.

I had my 12V battery replaced in early 2020. About 6 months ago, I started getting something like "Schedule service. Low voltage battery needs replacing." It's about 20 months old with 22K miles on it now and shows 13.3-13.8V so I'm not really too concerned. Twice a month or so, the warning pops up and I have to do a "wheel configuration" change to do a hard reset to temporarily remove the warning. While the battery might have proper voltage, it does make me wonder if the battery is defective.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing until the 12V battery reads below 12.2 or if the car starts behaving funny. SC has been pretty useless. They wouldn't reset the warning message and just want to charge me $275 for a new battery.

I had my 12V battery replaced in early 2020. About 6 months ago, I started getting something like "Schedule service. Low voltage battery needs replacing." It's about 20 months old with 22K miles on it now and shows 13.3-13.8V so I'm not really too concerned. Twice a month or so, the warning pops up and I have to do a "wheel configuration" change to do a hard reset to temporarily remove the warning. While the battery might have proper voltage, it does make me wonder if the battery is defective.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing until the 12V battery reads below 12.2 or if the car starts behaving funny. SC has been pretty useless. They wouldn't reset the warning message and just want to charge me $275 for a new battery.
My only warning was "Maximum battery charge level reduced". I was surprised that they wanted to replace the 12V because it was the last service performed at the same SC. I got the "Schedule service. Low voltage battery needs replacing" warning in August 2022 and that's when I replaced it. (They also tried to charge me for 2 hours of labor to fix the passenger airbag light, which turned off a few days later.)

The 12V battery voltage is only telling you current state of charge, not capacity. Even a very worn out SLA will charge to nearly 13V, but it will have high internal resistance and very little capacity. The car is measuring charge/discharge Wh to determine the 12V condition.

It's pretty easy for a dual motor car to just pull the 12V and do a capacity check and replace if needed. My car sits a lot, so I do it every two years, and the old battery gets used for off grid solar.

Does DIY replacement of the 12V battery (done it dozens of times over the years) void the remainder of the CPO warranty? Is it covered under CPO?
Of course not. Modifications don't in and of themselves void your warranty. They can make it voidable but that's a very important distinction in the world of law. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove that your modification directly caused the damage to be able to deny warranty coverage per the Magnuson-Moss Act. This bit of legislation protects all of us consumers against frivolous warranty denials by the manufacturer. Too many people these days don't understand that very important consumer protection that was put in place nearly 50 years ago. I see people all the time throwing out "that will void your warranty" on car motorcycle forums and then people just start to take it as fact. Simply modifying your vehicle doesn't automatically void your warranty let alone basic maintenance items like replaced wear items and your 12v battery. Of course you changing out your own 12v battery isn't going to void your CPO warranty.

Reactions: aerodyne