Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum charge limited to 80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2017 X 75d and got a notification that battery was low and needed charge. When I plugged it in later and played around with the slider to set it halfway I noticed it was showing much lower than 50%. I moved the slider to 100% and it showed 80%. Changed the settings to miles and it showed 200mi instead of the usual 227.

Is tesla limiting the maximum charge for certain battery types? Anyone else seeing this?
20200415_234144.jpg

no its just that your batteries colder rn, and after you drive it, or charge it a bit more, it should pop back up. If not, contact tesla service. but this is "normal" according to tesla. and it will come back after your batter is warmer.

Hi Imthiazah,

If possible try not to let the battery get too low...
(unless Tesla suggested it for some battery balancing procedure)

When the bar graph of battery charge turns from green to yellow-orange to red,
it is time to charge the battery...
The batteries are very well protected BUT if you let it get too low for too long
you may be looking at an expensive replacement battery....

Good luck,

Shawn

It’s not cold enough in San Hose to be that much effect On charging estimate. It’s probably just calibration is off. It will probably correct itself after a couple of normal charge cycles. It will be most accurate to estimate full if you fully charge it. But don’t do that to often just for a better estimate and don’t leave the battery to high or to low for and extended period.

no its just that your batteries colder rn, and after you drive it, or charge it a bit more, it should pop back up. If not, contact tesla service. but this is "normal" according to tesla. and it will come back after your batter is warmer.

That's right, it did reset in the morning and it showed the actual percentage like it usually does. I wasnt sure as I had recieved a recent update and thought it was related.

Hi Imthiazah,

If possible try not to let the battery get too low...
(unless Tesla suggested it for some battery balancing procedure)

When the bar graph of battery charge turns from green to yellow-orange to red,
it is time to charge the battery...
The batteries are very well protected BUT if you let it get too low for too long
you may be looking at an expensive replacement battery....

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Shawn, I dont let it go below 20% but it may have been the recent update that came in when the battery was at 35%.

I charge the battery to 50% every 4 days to lose it all to vampire drain. Strange times!

It’s not cold enough in San Hose to be that much effect On charging estimate. It’s probably just calibration is off. It will probably correct itself after a couple of normal charge cycles. It will be most accurate to estimate full if you fully charge it. But don’t do that to often just for a better estimate and don’t leave the battery to high or to low for and extended period.

Yes, I was just playing with the slider as the usual half way mark showed 42%. I have charged it to 100 maybe like 3 times during a road trip.

Hi Shawn, I dont let it go below 20% but it may have been the recent update that came in when the battery was at 35%.

I charge the battery to 50% every 4 days to lose it all to vampire drain. Strange times!

Your car goes to 0% in 4 days of Vampire drain? If so, are you running apps that are polling it a lot, or leaving sentry mode on at your home?

Your car goes to 0% in 4 days of Vampire drain? If so, are you running apps that are polling it a lot, or leaving sentry mode on at your home?

I should have been clearer. Not all the way to 0, it reaches between anywhere from 25 to 30% before I recharge. I noticed that the sweet spot to have the lowest impact from vampire drain.

Off topic but I do hear the battery management system turn on every couple minutes to probably condition the battery. It has been ongoing for about 6 months since an update. This has resulted in an additional 1-2% drain per day.