Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Charge of 40kW from 3 different SC's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LHendren

Supporting Member
May 18, 2017
Columbia, Missouri
I tried charging at 3 different SC locations and 6 different charging stations (less than 55% battery charge starting out) and the maximum I could get was 40kW. Any suggestions? I rebooted the system on two occaisions. A couple of weeks ago, I charged at 13 SC geographic locations with an 88 - 92kW charge at liess than 55% battery charge). 2016 MX 90D

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_152537.jpg
    IMG_20200323_152537.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 259
My guess is the battery is cold. I see 51 F on the display. At this temperature the battery needs significant warming before you can expect the higher charge rates. When I first got my car I had exactly the same problem. The charger was about 10 miles away but not far enough to heat the battery. I think I saw a max of 30 KW charge. This was before the days of battery conditioning so maybe things are better now. Did you drive a significant distance while preconditioning the battery?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I tried charging at 3 different SC locations and 6 different charging stations (less than 55% battery charge starting out) and the maximum I could get was 40kW. Any suggestions? I rebooted the system on two occaisions. A couple of weeks ago, I charged at 13 SC geographic locations with an 88 - 92kW charge at liess than 55% battery charge). 2016 MX 90D

You didn't mention whether or not you were connected to a charge pair with someone else? Did you visit a supercharger with no other vehicles connected, or, were there others there?

My guess is the battery is cold. I see 51 F on the display. At this temperature the battery needs significant warming before you can expect the higher charge rates. When I first got my car I had exactly the same problem. The charger was about 10 miles away but not far enough to heat the battery. I think I saw a max of 30 KW charge. This was before the days of battery conditioning so maybe things are better now. Did you drive a significant distance while preconditioning the battery?
I tried charging for at least 20 minutes at each site. No increase or decrease in charging rate. I have charged at over 100 superchargers in 3 years and 56,000 miles. I have never had this happen before now. Next week, I have 1,200 mile road trip planned. It will be painful. Should say not not possible at this charging rate.

Last edited:
Sounds like you could be impacted by #chargegate that a lot of the Model S 85kWh batteries are suffering from. I'm not sure if Model X 90D has been reported to have been impacted by the reduced supercharging speed... very interested to see if that's the case as I too have a 2016 Model X and if I have reduced supercharging speed, it will sure force me to make some changes.

I have just noticed this and I am worried as you are. My 2016 MX P90D has lifetime supercharging and it is important to me.
I put my X in storage for the winter and just started driving it again a few weeks ago. I normally charge in the garage but stopped at the local charger twice coming into town with a low battery and noted it never charged above 40kw. I thought maybe it was the cool weather but it was worrisome. No way do I want to own this car and take it on trips if my charge time is now over an hour per stop.
I also wonder if they have just throttled me at the local charger and maybe not when I am on the road?
I will be looking at it more carefully and trying to determine if i have actually been throttled permanently. I will not be happy if true.

Don't you have any consumer laws that cover this? In the UK if your battery was basically knackered after just 4 years and couldn't get about 1/3rd the normal charge speed you would be entitled to a free or nearly free replacement.

I tried charging for at least 20 minutes at each site. No increase or decrease in charging rate. I have charged at over 100 superchargers in 3 years and 56,000 miles. I have never had this happen before now. Next week, I have 1,200 mile road trip planned. It will be painful. Should say not not possible at this charging rate.

Can you use a scan tool to get the total kWh charged at Superchargers? That, more than the total miles driven is an indicator of whether Tesla's regular nerfing would kick in.

Hi. I tried searching but not getting anywhere.

I have a MS P85D and I think I’m a victim of chargegate since I was getting 40kW and I have FUSC.

we’ve always wanted a X and we would go used.

Is it consistent that Xs are subject to chargegate too? Which models and battery trims?

If they do have these issues too then no way are we getting a X

Xs have the same problem, it varies a bit with different battery packs. Have you spoken to Tesla? Quote the Consumer Rights Act at them, see what they say, maybe you can get a new battery out of it.

Solely based on what we can afford we would be looking at earlier MCU1 MXs. 2016/2017 any variation 75, 90, 100. Is there a more detail thread? I’m really curious if the FUSC folks do get it worse. SIGH

I’ll try! Knowing them they would replace it with the same exact battery and 3 months later shiv me in the back again. I’m a very experience SC customer LOL. Our Teslas over the past 4 years have been been to SC 8-10 times. Our former Nissan Leaf of 4 years... ZERO.

I just submitted my issues this week. Appointment is one month away. It doesn’t bother us that much because we aren’t habitual road trippers but it is a HUGE disappointment. I used the supercharger three times this year and the last visit really surprised me!

Solely based on what we can afford we would be looking at earlier MCU1 MXs. 2016/2017 any variation 75, 90, 100. Is there a more detail thread? I’m really curious if the FUSC folks do get it worse. SIGH

Avoid those MCU1 models. LOTS of problems. The MCUs themselves are all going to die sooner or later, there is a recall on them but check.

Those models had problems with the drivetrains, with the doors, with the batteries dying around 100-150k miles, all sorts of stuff.

If you do get one make sure it's got a really solid extended warranty that covers everything.

Reactions: InternetDude
There are certainly many issues that can effect earlier cars..... and early can mean 2017. Cars with MCU2 generally fewer issues but still various recurring themes.

The current Raven versions have fewer issues, but they are obviously newer cars! Temperature is a big thing for charging power. At v. low temps you can't charge without heating the battery a little. Cold batteries can't absorb regen braking energy either.

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing to do, but on the basis that I have to trust Tesla to charge at safe rates, I avoid heating the battery just for the sake of faster charging unless I'm in a hurry. The batteries have a high mass and it takes quite a lot to heat them, so pointless unless there is a worthwhile benefit. That seems to limit Supercharging to 60 / 70 kW around 50% SOC on 100kwh Model S Raven.

Remember the peak charge speeds are often only for a small SOC range sub 40%. Tesla seem to have habitually tweeked charging parameters especially with early batteries.

40kW is too low for the batt degradation reduction. I would suspect cold weather but only if it was during the initial part of the charge. The X and S use electric louvers and we had one fail closed on our S which caused the charge rate to be slow and the AC couldn’t cool the cabin. There were no warning messages and it took a service appt to figure it out. Maybe that is the issue. Easy enough to see if the louvers are open during charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H