Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Charge of 40kW from 3 different SC's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40kW is too low for the batt degradation reduction. I would suspect cold weather but only if it was during the initial part of the charge. The X and S use electric louvers and we had one fail closed on our S which caused the charge rate to be slow and the AC couldn’t cool the cabin. There were no warning messages and it took a service appt to figure it out. Maybe that is the issue. Easy enough to see if the louvers are open during charging.

This is the battery heater could have failed.

Reactions: Hodginator
@Hodginator the car was driven for about 20min before the charge and it wasn’t that cold. 40 degrees. Also did about 5min of preheat on the nav. I did notice the fans were not running! (Where is sounds like turbines running) I hope that is the issue. I sat there about 25min too and the charge rate did not change.

@Hodginator the car was driven for about 20min before the charge and it wasn’t that cold. 40 degrees. Also did about 5min of preheat on the nav.

That isn't anywhere enough to warm the battery up. It takes more than an hour of freeway driving to warm the battery up with out the preconditioning. Probably at least 30 minutes with the preconditioning running.

And if it was 40 degrees, and had been sitting over night prior the battery was probably colder than that.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
What about sitting there plugged in for 25min?

no it was like 8pm when I hit of the supercharger and car was plugged in at my house earlier that morning too
I experience similar. If I take a 30 minute drive to a supercharger when it is cool out the speed is very slow and doesnt get much faster. I have taken a couple trips from Toronto to Quebec City in very cold conditions (-20 c) and charging is fast. I am fine with this. In therory we shouldn't be charging 30 minutes from our home charging station. The critical thing is to be able to charge quickly on a road trip.

Reactions: jboy210
If you're concerned I would test it with fully preheat battery and 10% SoC. Remember, the lower the battery charge - the more kW charger will put into it. I was charging recently with (supposedly) fully preheat battery and it was showing ~70kW at 55%. I was around 0C (32F) outside so maybe that affected it as well, but it started from 110kW at 25% (to give you an idea about kW drop).