TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maximum charge rate actually 45 mi/hr

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by PoitNarf, Apr 10, 2018.

1. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Tesla’s documentation says that the Model 3 is able to charge at up to 44 miles per hour when using a Wall Connector on a 240 volt 60 amp circuit. I’ve witnessed on several occasions that my Model 3 is actually able to get up to a charge rate of 45 miles per hour. Anyone else seeing this?

2. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

Mine gets 46 miles per hour at 48 amps on occasion, usually 45 though

• Informative x 1
  3. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Your voltage is probably just above 240V.

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

I have noticed the voltage spiking to 242 volts on occasion during charging but I’ve seen my Model 3 report the 45 mi/hr charge rate when the voltage is down a bit to 237 volts.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

I've found the mi/hr rating when charging to be pretty useless. You should really only care about the kW the car is charging at.

• Informative x 1
  6. nitzmahone

nitzmahone Supporting Member

This. The mi/hr rating calculation appears to be reverse-engineered from the overall range calculation. So on a brand new battery, if you're getting a slightly higher maximum charge rate, my psychic powers tell me your 100% charge range is > 310mi (this is the case with mine- it reads 315mi at 100%). The true values for any given charge are battery SoC and kW draw, anything else is derived from "fluffy" values.

• Like x 3