Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Charging Level Reduced error (1 yr Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this just happen this morning when I got in my 1 year old 2019 model 3 AWD With 8600 miles. Car won’t charge when plugged in it would say “charging completed” and “charging started” continuously. I read somewhere on the model S forums that this error means a dead battery. Can’t even find a post of someone else having this issue on their model 3 yet. Already booked an appointment for service tomorrow afternoon at the cherry hill service center. I’m hoping it can be resolve through software diagnostic and not a complete battery replacement.... sigh.

B2E30D0D-9AA8-4BEC-BDE7-FDBC4095145B.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Dropped off the car this afternoon with 150 mile range left. I got a model S P85D for a loaner and I was on my way. (Begged them for a fast car, but boy the model S feels like a boat). They couldn’t tell what it could be without further diagnosing so I left and kept checking service status on my Tesla app and looks like a part is on the way with an estimated turnaround time of 2 days . They said if it was a battery replacement it would take 1-2 days to arrive and 30 min to install which surprised me. Will keep you guys posted when I pick up the car, but it feels like this stuff only happens to me... fingers crossed my car comes back with no scratches or dents.

52EA8D1D-D0D9-4D8E-B4B2-98C2278839EC.jpeg

P85D insane +
CA975C73-6FD9-42ED-B501-74A66F558570.jpeg

They said if it was a battery replacement it would take 1-2 days to arrive and 30 min to install which surprised me.

If it only takes 30 minutes to install they are talking about the 12v battery. If I recall correctly the HV battery takes ~4 hours to remove and replace. (You have to remove a lot of the interior to get to the bolts that attach the HV battery.) I could be mis-remembering and that it is ~2 hours, but I thought it was 2 hours out and 2 hours back in.

If it only takes 30 minutes to install they are talking about the 12v battery. If I recall correctly the HV battery takes ~4 hours to remove and replace. (You have to remove a lot of the interior to get to the bolts that attach the HV battery.) I could be mis-remembering and that it is ~2 hours, but I thought it was 2 hours out and 2 hours back in.
I think the advisor meant the HV battery. He was pointing to me another model S getting a battery replacement was a 30 min job, used the analogy its sort of like the battery pack in an RC car, that it wasn’t difficult to insert and replace. Maybe it’s taking longer because they need to replace other parts that are needed for a battery replacement, assuming it’s a battery replacement issue.

How do you like the loaner model S?

Fred
Feels heavy driving that thing, like a boat. Now that I have driven my M3 AWD for a year now and played with acceleration boost for 3 months and driving this model S for a bit, I can’t feel the speed difference anymore from 0-60. Of course it’s subjective for everyone but now I’m glad I didn’t trade my M3 for a performance.

Feels heavy driving that thing, like a boat. Now that I have driven my M3 AWD for a year now and played with acceleration boost for 3 months and driving this model S for a bit, I can’t feel the speed difference anymore from 0-60. Of course it’s subjective for everyone but now I’m glad I didn’t trade my M3 for a performance.
Also the interior is severely outdated imo. The rear view window is blocked by the middle seat headrest. The carbon fiber on the dashboard in front of me looks fake, the leather seats are not as comfy and wrinkles easily, the front view is not as open as the model 3 (biggest complaint). Premium connectivity, it was still using 3G instead of LTE, there was no Netflix or other streaming services except few games. Only thing I like was playing with the air suspension and that it has a moonroof. I do like the CF spoiler on the trunk as opposed to the CF spoiler on the M3 performance which is thinner and fits on the curve whereas this sits on top of the trunk lid. Model 3 is so much superior in terms of driving experience and openness in the cabin.

Last edited:
I think the advisor meant the HV battery. He was pointing to me another model S getting a battery replacement was a 30 min job, used the analogy its sort of like the battery pack in an RC car, that it wasn’t difficult to insert and replace. Maybe it’s taking longer because they need to replace other parts that are needed for a battery replacement, assuming it’s a battery replacement issue.

For the Model S/X it is about a 30 minute job to replace the HV battery. It takes much longer in the Model 3.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Since its taking a week I’m incline to believe at this point it’s an HV battery replacement. Btw, this one was custom built on 3/2019. You’d think at this point, they fix their quality issues and do testing on these battery packs before the car gets on the truck. I’m really shocked if it’s the battery. Everything was fine before this error popped up. Only thing that was weird is the car would make a pop sound underneath the car once in awhile in the garage but I heard that’s a “common” thing. I never supercharged the car and always kept the car plugged when I get home. Really surprised, and this can happen to anyone.

Since its taking a week I’m incline to believe at this point it’s an HV battery replacement. Btw, this one was custom built on 3/2019. You’d think at this point, they fix their quality issues and do testing on these battery packs before the car gets on the truck. I’m really shocked if it’s the battery. Everything was fine before this error popped up. Only thing that was weird is the car would make a pop sound underneath the car once in awhile in the garage but I heard that’s a “common” thing. I never supercharged the car and always kept the car plugged when I get home. Really surprised, and this can happen to anyone.

ANYTHING with parts can have an issue, so while I feel for you, I absolutely do NOT agree with the "you would think at this point they fix their quality issues and do testing on these battery packs" complaint.

If this was a systemic issue, you would absolutely see it all over these boards... but you only see it sporadically, so its not a systemic issue. You just drew the short straw. I actually wouldnt mind a new battery pack because of the way tesla iterates. You might get a slightly better part than you had in your car right now.

Awesome, thanks for the update. New battery is always a good thing.

Fred
Got the car back today! No cosmetic damage, everything looks good. They just removed the black plastic trim on both side underneath the rocker panel to replace battery. Also, removed the carpet inside to access cables which helped with the HW3 upgrade. Overall fantastic service at Cherry Hill service center.

My advisor gave me a tip about charging that before the best practice was to keep your car plugged in but now service is saying best practice for short commuter like myself (40 mi), is to charge when you get to below 50%, because constantly charging at a high battery level causes imbalance in the battery and eventually over time that range that’s top off will get lower because it can’t recalibrate itself.

Also asked if AWD folks will get another acceleration boost to performance level, was told no internal message was sent out but it’s possible lol.

E565695D-B642-4FE2-9C32-BCA50607C99A.jpeg