Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum GB Size for USB Flash Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the maximum GB size is for a USB Flash Drive that can be recognized by the Tesla Model S 75 USB Port?

Also can the USB Flash Drive be USB 2.0 and/or USB 3.0?

I really need to know ASAP!
I've used self powered hard drives as large as 2 terabytes loaded with flac files. The problem with large amounts of data is that my Tesla doesn't "remember" the songs it's read in which takes a LONG time. I now use a 500 Mbyte drive with about 9000 songs available. The drive has two partitions... One has my favorite 500 or so songs which is read in quickly... The other holds the entire collection which takes several minutes to read in after a console restart, otherwise available immediately.

I use this Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46): Computers & Accessories

I filled it with 110+ gb with Flac files
All was well until I got 17.17.4, which I'm still on. Then the center console started freezing a couple times a week.

I called Tesla and they suggested I pull the USB drive. Haven't needed to reboot since I pulled it, about 2 weeks now.

So either 17.17.4 caused a problem or my drive developed an issue

So 128 gb was fine until a firmware update

OP, Tesla does not document this, so things could of course change one day. From rather extensive testing though, I've successfully used both USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drives (sticks) from 1GB to 256GB in capacity, and am presently using a 480GB USB SSD. Beyond many strange issues that crop up from time-to-time (see the Comprehensive USB Bug List thread) in terms of capacity, the main issue seems to be that you cannot put a storage device in the ports that requires excessive power like some external HDD (one's that you'd typically see in their description as requiring their own power or a powered USB hub.)