Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum "real world" range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseum somewhere else.

I'm am anticipating getting my Sig X sometime in the next few months and have been thinking about real world driving. On the Olympic Peninsula, our speed limits are typically 40-50mph with a few 60mph areas. Most of the data on range seems to be at steady freeway speeds. I'm curious what range S drivers are getting when driving slower. Not maxed out hyper mile ranges, but real world, driving at 50.

My reasons have to do with the kind of road trips I like to take. Around the Peninsula, down highway 101 etc. These don't have superchargers yet, so 300+ mile range is desirable if achievable (I'll assume 5% less range than 85 KW S, assuming 90KW battery on X.

It all depends on your driving habits, if your foot is heavy as mine you can expect 100% battery to get you about 180-200 miles on Model S depending on terrain. My average energy usage is ~360wh/m, if I drive normally it drops to about 310-330wh/m depending on terrain and when I drive around town in the summer, it's not unusual to see 270-280wh/m on a short trip.

Winter is entirely different thing, our weather doesn't like Tesla and my energy meter goes to 450-500wh/m with occasional 700-800wh/m for short trips.

This really depends. If you're really going a steady 40-50mph, you'll get great range..if the vehicle isn't loaded and not carrying a kayak or bike rack, etc. and the weather is temperate.
If, OTOH, you're doing a lot of shorter trips, stopping for extended times, the weather is bad or you have a heavy load, the results can be quite different. In my city driving, even with moderate speeds, my range and efficiency are quite poor due to some vampire drain, in part, and with the stop and go traffic.

The single best thing is steady speed, flat road, temperate weather with modest load. At a minimum, you should get 200 miles of range. At the speeds you mention with the caveats above, 250-270 should be pretty easy.

Also, we don't know much about the X, assuming the 90kWh battery and an otherwise modest increase in weight and drag, that should still, roughly,be the range.

..if the vehicle isn't loaded and not carrying a kayak or bike rack, etc. and the weather is temperate..

Don't have to worry about carrying a kayak... OP says this is an X, nothing can go on top.

Now, if it were an S, then a set of Whispbar's makes it possible to carry a kayak.
Imagine that, S has more utility than an X! :tongue:

Oxymoron: "real world" and "maximum" do fit together in the same sentence.
But considering the X itself is not real world yet, this is moot.

Last edited:
My daily driving uses about 300 Wh/mil but I would not try to go much beyond 200 miles without having a place to charge. If you drive very careful, maybe you can do 250. Anything more than that is not 'real world'. More than 250 is doable but only without any traffic, no AC or heater, good road conditions, and driving so slow that others on the road get annoyed.

At 50 mph, I'd say 300+ miles is achievable in X or S.

For Interstate driving, assuming relatively flat terrain, I assume 110% of actual mileage as the rated range used.

EV trip planner does a great job.

I don't know maximum range. But I just drove my 85D (yesterday) in 85-90F temperature with climate set to 68F, for wife and I. The cruise was set at 78mph (other than two sections of about 20 miles each, which I set to 65mph.) I drove from Asheville , NC to the supercharger in London KY (211 miles), averaged 285Wh/mile and showed 53 miles of rated range remaining when I arrived.
If you haven't driven this route, I wouldn't consider it flat terrain.
The two 20 mile stretches of slower driving were, bypass around Knoxville (high probability of radar), and the I40 gorge through the Appalachian Mountains.

I was in range mode. Not that I would have pushed it, but if I planned for a slower drive , I might have made it to the Lexington KY charger.

Last edited:
I drove from Dallas to Granite Falls, WA (slightly East of Everett) a couple of weeks ago, and averaged 253 Wh/mi for the entire trip. Depending upon whether the usable energy in the battery is 75 kWh or 81 kWh, the average maximum range would be between 295 to 320 miles.

You'd have to do it non-stop, and drive to a charger that's exactly 300 miles away unless you don't care about getting towed in the end.

However, this guy has done 423 miles, so it can be done:
http://www.teslamotors.com/customer-stories/world-record-father-son-drive

I've driven round-trip from McKinney, TX to Tyler, TX, a round trip of 260 miles, and still had ~60 rated miles showing upon my return. I've made that trip twice. My highway speeds were 60-65 most of the way. In addition to my speed, I also controlled my acceleration to ensure that I was accelerating gently.

That's as close to 300 miles, real-world, in a single charge that I've done, but providing I had suitable weather and topography, I would feel comfortable getting 300 miles with little trouble.