Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Regen - Can Someone Top This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the best I can do in Colorado are:

* Pike's Peak to Colorado Springs: 24 miles of range gained

* Longs Peak to I-70: 21 miles

(Note: regenned miles apparently are reported only every third mile or so: the rated range displays e.g. 52, 55, 58, 61, 64 etc. as you come down hill.)

Last edited:
Definitely can't beat it in terms of range added, but I recently managed to get well over 100% charge(215 EPA miles rating) on my software-limited 60 by charging at the Fish Camp charger outside Yosemite and regenning the whole way down the mountain.

I've posted a few times about how much regenerative energy I get in my Model S when I descend Haleakala here on Maui, but today I gained a bit more than normal. During the 35 mile drive from the summit (10,000 feet elevation) to the point where the road essentially flattens out (about 100 feet elevation or thereabouts), I gained 9.0 kWh and 31 rated miles. I went from 98 rated miles at the summit to 129 at the base. I'm curious if any other owners have come close to that figure. If so, where and how much? I've attached a few pictures documenting it.

View attachment 193614 View attachment 193615 View attachment 193616
I don't think anyone can beat that. Pikes Peak is only 7,400 feet from summit to base.

What was the net energy use up and down?

What was the net energy use up and down?

19.1 kWh used from roughly the equivalent location, which was for 71.2 miles up and back down (268 Wh/mi). I'm always amazed at how efficient the regen seems to be.

@ABVA, the 33 mph average does play a factor, since wind resistance isn't as significant. If you've ever been to Maui and driven that road, you would understand that you can't average much faster than that. Between the hairpin turns and tourists, it is difficult to go very fast.

Although I wasn't able to get pictures at the appropriate times, I set a new record for regen on Monday (June 25, 2017) at 9.8 kWh recovered, and tied my record for miles at 35 (went from 120 rated miles at the summit to 155 rated miles at the bottom). The attached picture, not taken quite at the moment of maximum, but close, shows an average wh/mi of -280 for 34.8 miles, which translates to -9.744 kWh. I was really hoping to get to -10 kWh, but I couldn't quite pull it off. On this descent, I benefited from warmer temperatures at the summit, where it was over 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

regen_20170625.jpg