TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Maximum Speed in Reverse

Discussion in 'Model S' started by beeeerock, Nov 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Somebody approached me in a parking lot on the weekend to ask me about the car. During the conversation, the minimal number of moving parts was pointed out and the fact that 'reverse' is simply the motor turning backwards through the gear drive... and that there's no transmission to add unnecessary complexity.

"What, you mean reverse and drive are just controlled by motor direction? Then you can go just as fast backwards as forwards??"

Hmmm. Hadn't pondered that one before. But I can envision a James Bond movie using that to full comedic advantage.... chasing the bad guy at reckless speed.... pulling up alongside... backwards!

Who's volunteering to find the maximum speed in reverse?? ;-)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. Adm

Adm Active Member

There was a time our Dutch national pride was a car brand called DAF (now part of PACCAR, but only trucks). The cars had what was called a variomatic transmission which allowed the cars to drive as fast forward as in reverse. Since they were cheap cars, it created a new racing class. Enjoy watching:

• Funny x 5
  3. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Or Mater and Lightning McQueen driving backwards in various Cars movies. Errrrr, maybe I need to get out and see some grown-up movies.

Someone here on TMC actually tried this already. (It wasn't that fast, but hey it's probably a software limit someone could hack around, right?)

Bruce.

• Funny x 1
  4. Shipbldr200

Shipbldr200 Member

I
    And who will be the first to figure out how to engage AP 1.0 while driving in reverse....

I predict Darwin award followed by press questions about the safety of autopilot.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The car is more aerodynamic going forward, so it'll need more power in reverse and you might run out of power before you ran out of revs.

Unfortunately, I've read that Tesla put a speed limiter in at something like 25 mph.

• Informative x 1
  6. rolson1011

rolson1011 2016 P90DL, Model 3 on reservation

I've heard that the MS is 15mph in reverse software limited, the Leaf is 20mph, but can be overridden. So I guess its faster in reverse.

• Funny x 1
  7. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Ha ha, I can see a whole new slew of vids online, "Ludicrous launches in reverse"

Out of your garage or better yet pull up to the Xmas tree beside a Hellcat at the drag strip facing backward.

• Like x 1
  8. eloder

eloder Active Member

Not Tesla related, but when I got my Leaf I was curious about reversing, and punched it in a parking lot. I slammed on my brakes but still had a tire partially up on a small concrete barrier. I'm pretty sure they didn't limit the acceleration in reverse, what sort of limits does Tesla have on reverse acceleration?

9. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Someone from another post said 25 mph. Not sure if it's true though.

10. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

You put it in reverse and punched it in a parking lot? When there were barriers behind you?

Do you also stick your tongue into a 120V outlet to see what it feels like? Just wondering.

• Funny x 2
  11. Max*

Max* Not Banned

Don't be silly, you stick a knife in.

• Funny x 4
  12. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Only if you're holding said metal-handled knife in your mouth.

13. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

It's limited.
    Not very fast, maybe 20kph? About 12mph for those of you in Trumptopia...

14. Nismode

Nismode Member

It's 15 mph. There aren't many situations where you should be going faster than that in reverse outside of stunt driving.

15. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

16. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

You can go accelerate very fast in Ludicrous in reverse. About six months ago, I was playing with the car in a large parking lot and backed up a little to get a good run forward. Tip: don't get distracted when you play. I forgot to put the car in forward and punched it. It accelerates very fast in reverse before you can slam on the brakes. I hope Tesla changed that "feature" but it used to be there.