Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Speed in Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody approached me in a parking lot on the weekend to ask me about the car. During the conversation, the minimal number of moving parts was pointed out and the fact that 'reverse' is simply the motor turning backwards through the gear drive... and that there's no transmission to add unnecessary complexity.

"What, you mean reverse and drive are just controlled by motor direction? Then you can go just as fast backwards as forwards??"

Hmmm. Hadn't pondered that one before. But I can envision a James Bond movie using that to full comedic advantage.... chasing the bad guy at reckless speed.... pulling up alongside... backwards!

Who's volunteering to find the maximum speed in reverse?? ;-)

There was a time our Dutch national pride was a car brand called DAF (now part of PACCAR, but only trucks). The cars had what was called a variomatic transmission which allowed the cars to drive as fast forward as in reverse. Since they were cheap cars, it created a new racing class. Enjoy watching:

Somebody approached me in a parking lot on the weekend to ask me about the car. During the conversation, the minimal number of moving parts was pointed out and the fact that 'reverse' is simply the motor turning backwards through the gear drive... and that there's no transmission to add unnecessary complexity.

"What, you mean reverse and drive are just controlled by motor direction? Then you can go just as fast backwards as forwards??"

Hmmm. Hadn't pondered that one before. But I can envision a James Bond movie using that to full comedic advantage.... chasing the bad guy at reckless speed.... pulling up alongside... backwards!

Or Mater and Lightning McQueen driving backwards in various Cars movies. Errrrr, maybe I need to get out and see some grown-up movies.

Someone here on TMC actually tried this already. (It wasn't that fast, but hey it's probably a software limit someone could hack around, right?)

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: 1tsla

The car is more aerodynamic going forward, so it'll need more power in reverse and you might run out of power before you ran out of revs.

Unfortunately, I've read that Tesla put a speed limiter in at something like 25 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
Not Tesla related, but when I got my Leaf I was curious about reversing, and punched it in a parking lot. I slammed on my brakes but still had a tire partially up on a small concrete barrier. I'm pretty sure they didn't limit the acceleration in reverse, what sort of limits does Tesla have on reverse acceleration?

Not Tesla related, but when I got my Leaf I was curious about reversing, and punched it in a parking lot. I slammed on my brakes but still had a tire partially up on a small concrete barrier. I'm pretty sure they didn't limit the acceleration in reverse, what sort of limits does Tesla have on reverse acceleration?

You put it in reverse and punched it in a parking lot? When there were barriers behind you?

Do you also stick your tongue into a 120V outlet to see what it feels like? Just wondering.

It's limited.
Not very fast, maybe 20kph? About 12mph for those of you in Trumptopia...

You can go accelerate very fast in Ludicrous in reverse. About six months ago, I was playing with the car in a large parking lot and backed up a little to get a good run forward. Tip: don't get distracted when you play. I forgot to put the car in forward and punched it. It accelerates very fast in reverse before you can slam on the brakes. I hope Tesla changed that "feature" but it used to be there.