Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Any thoughts on this from anyone here? Getting ready to get some MPP or UP coilovers and drop the height in addition to the larger tires... thanks in advance for any comments!
I have been wondering this myself.

I plan on doing 275/35/21 front and 295/35/21 in the rear.
The tires will definitely fit (and will look really good in addition to other already discussed benefits) however a further ~1” drop of the suspension is *likely* to cause [considerable] rubbing. In my experience, the upsized tires are really all that is required: my MYP actually looks like it‘s been lowered given the greatly reduced wheel gap that results from the larger diameter tires. Please post photos if you decide to lower but you may find that with appropriately sized rubber (I’m looking at you, Tesla) that the added step isn‘t needed. Good luck.

Reactions: ebartolome
Upvote 0
So you really just need to buy new tires for the rear; right?

You swap the back tires on to the front, then buy the 295/35/21 for the rear? This setup will provide more sidewall protection and better ride quality?

Or do you need 295/40/21 and 275/40/21 for better ride quality?
I think that 35 profile is needed as 40 are a bit tight to the ball joint on top of the hub carrier, also the 49s mess with speedo readings more than 35s

Upvote 0
Many thanks to those who confirmed fitment of 265 and 295/40zr21 for our MYPs. Last week I purchased four Continental DWS06 Plus in those sizes. Zero rubbing after 300+ miles of mixed driving.

Impressions:
  • Smoother ride, for sure. You still feel road imperfections -- as you should in a performance car -- but the jittery ride is now pleasantly muted. I found the car a more relaxing cruiser on a 230-mile round-trip.
  • Bonus: dramatically less interior buzzing and rattling over rough road.
  • I cannot detect the extra half-inch ride height or any substantial change in driving dynamics. Maybe turn-in is slightly less immediate. On-center feel is excellent.
  • The car looks super aggressive -- and lowered! -- due to the reduced fender gaps.
  • The Contis are quiet -- more a whoosh than the roar of the worn P Zeros.
  • Plus, as other have said, they give at least some rim protection, especially in the rear. (Last week I also had two curb-rashed Ubers repainted.)
  • Hit on range is TBD. Fact is, I don't care unless we lose 20%, which doesn't seem the case so far.
  • Speedo reads 73 at 70 mph, according to Waze. Negligible.
Thanks again to the fat-tire pioneers in this thread. Only problem now is what to do with 4 decent P Zeros in a one-bdrm apt.

Upvote 0
With 265 and 295/40zr21 Conti DWS06 Plus
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 10.56.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 10.56.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks good. Could you share some pics of the sidewalls and how far over is it from the rims? Considering this setup for mostly preventing curb rashes on street parking. Thanks.
Here are a couple of photos of the 295/40R21 rears. Already hit a curb twice with these and no rash (of course the OEM tires gave zero protection)! Much better ride over potholes too.
295 Side.jpg
295 Rear.jpg

Upvote 0