Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
I have an MYP, live in New England, and I need more wheel protection like others who posted in this thread. In fact, I’ve had it bookmarked for a little while now.

I plan to upsize the tires to 265/40zr21 and 295/40zr21, and both TireRack and Simple
Tire.com show great pricing for Continental extreme contact dws06 plus tires, but tire shops keep pushing back on me. Multiple shops now… Costco Tire and Sullivan Tire straight up said no. VIP Tires got nervous after I mentioned it was for a Tesla.

What I’m concerned about is paying for the new rubber, it gets shipped to the installer and they refuse to install. Any tips or tricks to get this done? or suggested tire shops?

P.S. Thanks for all the great content in this thread!

Upvote 0
I have an MYP, live in New England, and I need more wheel protection like others who posted in this thread. In fact, I’ve had it bookmarked for a little while now.

I plan to upsize the tires to 265/40zr21 and 295/40zr21, and both TireRack and Simple
Tire.com show great pricing for Continental extreme contact dws06 plus tires, but tire shops keep pushing back on me. Multiple shops now… Costco Tire and Sullivan Tire straight up said no. VIP Tires got nervous after I mentioned it was for a Tesla.

What I’m concerned about is paying for the new rubber, it gets shipped to the installer and they refuse to install. Any tips or tricks to get this done? or suggested tire shops?

P.S. Thanks for all the great content in this thread!
Order from Tirerack and have them install the new rubber right in your own driveway! Total WIN! And super easy….

Upvote 0
Order from Tirerack and have them install the new rubber right in your own driveway! Total WIN! And super easy….
CFDC3905-BC57-4AF3-AE57-2EEBBA0858A6.jpeg

Upvote 0
This thread seems fairly dormant, but I'll add this.

My 265 & 295/40zr21 Conti DWS06 Plus A/S have completely transformed this vehicle. I'm no longer constantly wary of curb rash or pothole damage (not saying it couldn't happen). I now have a more civilized ride with no detectable performance loss. They shrug off potholes that used to torture my spine. After 4K miles, I've experienced zero rubbing or added body roll. I have increased confidence in the wet. The more aggressive stance and reduced wheelwell gaps greatly improve aesthetics. Range loss, if any, is minimal. And I quickly learned to mentally compensate for the speedo offset (+3 mph at indicated 70).

For me, in a general purpose vehicle, there's no serious downside to this mod. It's still a SPORT utility vehicle and now an improved daily driver and long hauler. I contemplated a square set-up on different wheels, but I still think the Ubers look best on the Y.

FYI, simpletire.com had the best price I could find for the Contis: $1425 shipped, significantly cheaper than, and very comparable to, the Michelin 4 A/S (I've had both on other cars). It's an anything-but-simple website, difficult to order. I ended up calling in my order.
Cool. Possibly downside could be that these are not EV tyres. I don't know if it makes a difference in real life but according to Pirelli for example, the Elect tyres give you three advantages: extra noise reduction, low rolling resistance (but for most of us a minimal range loss is acceptable), better grip that can handle the weight of EV cars better.

Upvote 0
Just saw this info from your Digest

Profile photo for William Le

William Le
Senior management/Silicon ValleyJun 23

What is so special about Tesla tires, and can you put regular tires on Tesla cars?
There are special Tesla tires. Continental and Michelin certainly make them specifically for Teslas. As far as I know the only difference is that they have a thick layer of foam on the inside of the tread to act as a sound deadener since there is no engine noise in a Tesla and therefore tire road noise is more noticeable, at least to some people. I just replaced tires on my Model S and asked to see the tire before it was installed. They were Continental tires with a thick white foam pad inside the tire.
main-qimg-8f27d0e4bb1e53b8f2142150c1775de1-lq

339.5K views
View 4,107 upvotes
View 11 shares

Reactions: FlyinRhy
Upvote 0
I have 275 40 20 Continental DW tires on Aodhan 10.5" , +35 offset wheels on MYP at front and rear on a square set up. No rubbing or issues. Great fitment.
For what ever its worth, these rims weigh 23.9 lbs only.

How's the ride quality on this setup compared to OEM? I'm also considering a 275/40/20 setup on my incoming MYP and I'm curious if/how the ride quality and handling characteristics differ.

Upvote 0
I used 285/35/20 all round. On 20x9.5 35 offset rims on my new MYP. Deliberately so that side walls we're not stretched, so they could flex a bit more. I would say the sharpness of the small road imperfections is reduced by about 25%. I am going for MPP coilovers , reduced unsprung weight reduction where ever I can.

Upvote 0
Change my wheels and tires with no sound insulation could not tell the difference.
I tend to agree unless someone shows me the scientific proofs. I spent some yrs working with a guy whose specialty is in noise reduction for acoustical ceiling so I know a little bit in NRC (noise reduction coefficient). People hate me when I ask hard question "where is the proof"

Upvote 0
I tend to agree unless someone shows me the scientific proofs. I spent some yrs working with a guy whose specialty is in noise reduction for acoustical ceiling so I know a little bit in NRC (noise reduction coefficient). People hate me when I ask hard question "where is the proof"
Don't you know you're supposed to take people's subjective evaluations as absolute truth and irrefutable evidence?! I kid... Even putting a SPL meter in the car is sometimes too much trouble for some who claim their ears will suffice. Either way, foam in tires ranks the same in effectiveness (for me) as those extra rubber insulation for doors and trunks, which is to say, not high at all, but even those have shown to drop noise about 3 - 5 decibels on SPL...

Upvote 0
Yesterday I took the MYP to Tesla for my VA safety inspection ($20 bargain). The techs seemed mildly amazed at my tire sizes (265 and 295/40zr21 Conti DWS 06 Plus on stock Ubers). After the lead guy admired the aesthetic change, he pointed out the rears are wearing faster than the fronts — same as the PZeros, indicating minimal understeer, which you want in a sporty, rear-biased, all-wheel drive vehicle.

About road noise with foam-less Contis: no detectable change from the foamy PZeros.

Upvote 0